Meet Sabina (breed guess?)

• Gold Top Dog

Meet Sabina (breed guess?)

Hello. I am new here. I hope I don't start off seeming like a bother, but I was wondering if I could get some help/insight on what Sabina's breeding may be.

Sabina is a German Shepherd mix that we rescued from our local SPCA shelter. She is 2 yros and around 55lbs. The shelter gave us 2 sets of adoption papers, 1 saying she's a GSD/Lab mix, the other saying GSD/Cattle Dog mix. After speaking to a geneticist,  she informed me that Sabina cannot be any "floppy" or tipped ear dog mix because her ears are completely pointed (which is a recessive trait and therefore indicates that both parents has pointy ears), nor can she be cattle dog  because she lacks the molting/ticking color pattern which is dominate to the breed.

It was suggested to me from my vet and a few other "dog people" that Sabina is a German Shepherd mixed with either Australian Kelpie, Basenji, or Belgian Mailinois. A few people say pit or some kind of bully breed...but she doesn't look like one...well, at least not in person.

I know she can be multiple breeds and I know there isn't exact proof without a DNA test, although those aren't 100% accurate anyhow...

I was wondering what you guys think she many be.

Pictures (sorry if they are sill big):

Thank you in advance and nice meeting you.

• Gold Top Dog

Hmmm, besides *** ears I see no GSD, and *** ears can come from other dogs.  I see more Kelpie...but those are rare.  So maybe cattle dog and....something else? 

• Gold Top Dog

Hi! Thank you for your quick response. (BTW your dog is gorgeous, I'm a big fan of GSDs Smile)

Well, we are pretty sure Sabina is a German Shepherd mix (she does have the saddle mark and has longer fur, but was mildly shaved in these pics due to some allergic reaction she had)...we just don't know what she's mix with...

here are a few more pictures that show off more of her GSD features:

^^^ pay no attention to me in the last pic... I hate when people take pictures of me when I'm sleeping, lol. Yeah, Sabina some guard dog. Stick out tongue 

We are suppose to get her re-registered, but we don't really know what to put and our home insurance wants us to give some kind of breeds if if she's a complete mix...

She can't be cattle dog, because she doesn't have the molting/ticking/roan color patter... so we're thinking kelpie (there's actually many Aussie breed around here), but someone also suggested Basenji (which is more rare to me).. so idk... 

Again, thank you for your thoughts. 

• Gold Top Dog

In the pic with her riding in the back of a vehicle.....the profile shot indicates some GSD......but the other breed is Basenji or Kelpie........just my guess, though....

• Gold Top Dog

the mouth looks bully in the first picture.. she could be a mix of anything to do with bull/shepherd and not one in particular.

i had a doberman x aussie/pit. he had a wide chest, short coat, black and tan saddle markings like a harrier. in fact he looked the spitting image of a harrier. his brothers and sisters were brindle, or black and tan, or solid white. some were born with tails and some werent.

another dog i had, as a kid, was a shepherd x collie/chow. she looked like yours a lot, though my dog had more of a rough around her neck..  

so i say any one of those mixes... bully or doberman type for sure. shepherd(pick one, doesnt have to be german lol) for sure. just not sure how concentrated either one might be. 

• Gold Top Dog

Hello. Thank you for your reply

I met a "doggie geneticist"  and she pretty much gave me a 401 lesson on the entire genes, traits, etc...

I was told that pointy ears are a recessive trait and since Sabina has pointy ears it's an indicator that both of her parents had to have completely pointy-straight ears too. Bully breeds and Dobermans have floopy ears naturally, so if Sabina had those breeds in her heritage, then the best outcome would be a slight tip to her ears (which she doesn't have). For all I know, she can be a complete mutt, so if she were to have bully, pit, Dobey, Lab, whatever other breed of the sort, it would be so far back in her bloodlines that it wouldn't even matter...

So I was told to go look into naturally pointy-straight earred breeds.

Ugh. I really don't care what she is. She's an amazing dog, but our home insurance is a bit anal on what her possible breeding is and yes, they adjust their taxes in regards to what breed of dog you have... it's a pain in the ass, but we're trying to give them some possible idea of what she is.

We know a part is GSD... the rest... something pointy-earred - lol.

Thank you again. 

• Gold Top Dog

I see a little GSD in there, and would guess she's as least a three-or-four way mix. The chest and cheeks look like a pit bull or other bully breed to me.

Did you adopt her from a rescue? I would list whatever is on her paperwork for the homeowners stuff. With mixed breed dogs it's really hard to tell, and they should have some option for "mix".

Good luck and welcome!

• Gold Top Dog

indeed thats true about the ears but i have seen a lot of pits with upright ears. mostly the BYB shady deal pits. they're hilarious to look at.... like Boston Terriers... but they're out there so dont discount it totally Big Smile

• Gold Top Dog

Neither PB nor Dobes have been genetically selected for ANYTHING but a thin ear to make cropping easier, and both DO have erectile power. Natural ears on dobes and PB's can be anything from full drop..to fully pricked, or anyting in between OR one of each.

No reason there could not be bully in there and I do see PB from the amount of cheek she is showing in many of the pics.

• Gold Top Dog

I definitely see the GSD.  If it wasn't for what the geneticist said about the mottling, I'd say she has ACD in her, too.  ACDs have a head shaped somewhat like Pitbulls.  I did a Google search for ACDs (trying to find pictures), and found this picture with 2 ACDs and a Basenji.  Sabina's head does look a little like a Basenji, I think. 

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/1215845846061429512uDdnhA

• Gold Top Dog

My actual thought, is that she looks like the protoypical mix of a mix of a mix....medium size medium coat erect ears and tan coat.

• Gold Top Dog

rwbeagles

My actual thought, is that she looks like the protoypical mix of a mix of a mix....medium size medium coat erect ears and tan coat.

agreed, a natural dog if there ever was one.

i saw one yesterday, a pup, looked like a coyote/GSD just hanging out in mobile home park. very wild looking, yet quite tame.  

• Gold Top Dog

Aww. What a cute picture. Thank you for finding that for me.

See... I figured ACD could be a possibility also, especially since it was on one of the papers from the shelter we got her from, but after hearing about the different genes and expression of traits, I believe her and say that that is most likely impossible (unless some weird mutation occured, lol).

MY vet is actually the one who suggested [smooth coat] Australian Kelpie. She told me that they are quite similar to the ACD, same head shape/body structure, etc, which could explain a bit of Sabina's look (size/height, medium fur coat, stature).

Someone suggested Basejni to me a while back, and I guess I can sometimes see  it, but Idk, it's seems to be a bit of a stretch to me too.

*It's so hard to get a good picture of her - each angle make her look like something else, lol. 

As I have mentioned, It really doesn't matter to me what breeds she is composed of.... but we just need to get something on paper (for our insurance reasons)

Does German Shepherd/Australian Kelpie seem like a possibility? 

• Gold Top Dog

GSD/ACD would be more likely IMO. kelpies dont really have the square heads like ACDs.. and the coat doesnt always have to be ticked like a pure bred.

ETA .. i take back what i said about square heads

and found an upright eared pitty

• Gold Top Dog

I would say shepherd/cattle dog. Not nes. GSD - but some sort of shepherd.