BEAGLES, BEAGLES AND MORE BEAGLES PLEASE!

• Gold Top Dog

BEAGLES, BEAGLES AND MORE BEAGLES PLEASE!

So I'm researching my top favorite breeds for future references and I really like Beagles, well the looks and temperament, but I don't really know much about them. Can someone please help me out. I'd like to know the basics. Health issues, activity level, around kids, other dogs, shedding, average weight, are they carriable (I prefer a dog I can pick up in certain situations)  and all around how they are for pets in general. Pictures are always nice too!

Thank you! :)

• Gold Top Dog

Bkimura28

So I'm researching my top favorite breeds for future references and I really like Beagles, well the looks and temperament, but I don't really know much about them. Can someone please help me out. I'd like to know the basics. Health issues, activity level, around kids, other dogs, shedding, average weight, are they carriable (I prefer a dog I can pick up in certain situations)  and all around how they are for pets in general. Pictures are always nice too!

Ok, Beagle basics 101 Cool

The main health issues are epilepsy, intervertebral disc disease, heart murmurs. Thyroid problems are somewhat common. Hip dysplasia, PRA (progressive retinal atrophy) and luxated patellas do occur in the breed, but to a much lesser extent. It's VERY important you select a breeder that is ethical & tests breeding stock for genetic issues. You also want to question the breeder thoroughly about their bloodlines, becuase if they are not knowledgable about the vertical pedigree, they are basically just breeding with a blindfold on. Some bloodlines (both show and field) are outright genetic junk when it comes to health. NEVER, and I mean NEVER purchase a Beagle from a breeder who claims their bloodline is free of health issues. Run, don't walk, away.

Temperament of a *well bred* Beagle is nothing less than outstanding! A well bred one should be not only healthy & hardy, but outgoing, merry, and just into everything. They love being the center of attention, need to be involved in your life. They are nosy and will stick their snouts into everything, lol! If you are short on patience or don't have a sense of humor ... wouldn't recommend a Beag. They can be strong willed, but are always open to negotiation. Proper Beagle temperament is just an eternal, merry pup - they are wonderful and reliable with kids of all ages. They're great with other dogs, always in the mood for play. I have one intact male who actually gets in the whelping box and stimulates the newborn whelps to potty. He checks each one, making sure they don't have to be stimulated before he leaves. He used to curl up with the pups until they started to mistake him for their dam and start suckling on what they thought was the nipple, lol Indifferent Anyway, to me that just speaks volumes about the temperament of the breed. To have an intact male that does this, and to have multiple intact males together with young pups, that is just something that does not happen with many other breeds. You'd have dead pups.

Shedding is minimal, but it depends entirely on diet. Some have very thick coats and shed moderately even with the best diet, others have thinner coats and barely shed at all. They are SUPER high energy, (but not hyper) until they reach 2 years old. Most will calm down a bit after that, but still remain active for years. I have a 7.5yr old that still loves to take his long walks and relay race around the yard w/ the younger dawgs, but he's pretty mellow in the house. They are the single best companion breed, IMHO. Most are lap dogs. They are so intelligent, it's scary. They can and will outwit you, and they do understand every syllable of every word you speak. If they only had opposable thumbs ...

They are generally not a dog you can pick up, i.e., if they're getting rambunctious on lead, etc. They are not lightweights. Average weight is 25lbs, but they are built like athletes. Many do not like to be carried and will wiggle out of your grip. Others are more of "foo foo" dogs, and do like to be carried. I have a 15lb bitch that is a very spoiled little thing, is the only one of all of mine that likes being carried.

One thing you need to know is that Beagles are escape artists. Many will bolt when you open your front door. You must have a secure fence if you want a Beagle, and need to know that they can never be walked off leash. Ever. No matter how well trained. EVER.

Pics? Sure, got a few of those, lol!

• Gold Top Dog

You can read this...I wrote this out for folks thinking about the breed.

What IS A Beagle

This site has tons of info along the lines of what you're looking for...

AlaDar Beagles

I'll let others put in as well...

• Puppy

very helpful, thank you!

• Gold Top Dog

I've owned two pet quality beagles. A wellbred beagle has a temperament of gold, very safe with people of all ages. My two were also tolerant of other dogs. The main "problem" with them, is they are escape artists! We had to run chicken wire around our entire yard to they couldn't dig out. Once the nose hits the ground, don't expect a good recall. I would never allow my beagle buddies off leash unless they were in a secure area. They also tend to be quite vocal, so depending on yourl iving situation (condo, apartment, etc.) it might be an issue. I had housebreaking issues with my dogs, sort of a scent hound thing. However, the sheer LOVE they will give to you is worth the containment issues. They're FUNNY dogs, and super affectionate.

Just my experience =)

• Gold Top Dog

I learned how to build a secure pen from my Beagle;-)) 

Everything that HoundMusic said is true.  My dog had an exceptional recall (as does my current foxhound mix) but STILL never off lead - ever.  These are "merry" dogs well into their teens if they are healthy.  Mine passed away at 16 1/2.  They are a lengthy commitment, but worth the joyful noise.

• Gold Top Dog

You've gotten great advice and information already.  I absolutely love Beagles, but I have to ask- why would you ever want anything other than a Lab?  Big Smile