Pomeranian 101

• Gold Top Dog

Pomeranian 101

HISTORY:

Did you know this toy pup was once a thirty pound dog? Still we get what we call 'throwbacks'; when a Pomeranian comes out bigger than the accepted size today. Some go from eight to twenty-five pounds. It's because of their history as a larger dog.

The Pomeranian is a descendent from the Wolf Spitz of the northern climes. These dogs were used for drawing sledges, guarding, and rounding up herds of reindeer. Even today, some Poms have the instinct to herd animals or people and to guard their property and possessions.

Throughout the centuries, small spitz dogs spread all over Europe but still maintained a twenty to thirty pound size. It was not until the 18th century that people began to pay more attention to the little spitz dogs found in the regions of Pomerania but not always named for it. In their country of origin, Germany, they were called "Deusche Spitz" or "Pommer."

By the end of the 19th century, as small breeds became particularly popular in shows, breeders began to breed for a smaller Pomeranian. By the 1870s in England, almost all show Poms had shrunk significantly. The Kennel Club of England recognized the small spitz dog. The Brits also experimented with color, producing yellow, cream, white, black and spotted Pomeranians. In 1891 fourteen Poms strutted around the dog show ring. A group of British breeders formed the first Pomeranian club in England. The club wrote an official breed standard that is still used in England and America.

In 1901 one dog show boasted 60 Pomeranians. The club then revised the standard, splitting it into two: one for dogs weighing more than seven pounds, and another for Miniature Pomeranians less than seven pounds. Then in 1910 the standard was revised to specify weight between four and five pounds. Later standards made allowances for optional weight divisions up to seven pounds and exceeding seven pounds, but by 1960, the standard set one size: three to seven pounds, with ideal show size at four to five pounds. The current standard amends the "preferred" show specimen be four to six pounds.

Today's pretty little Poms have come a long way over the centuries, from sturdy working dogs to leggy, fragile curiosities to the strong, sweet, tough-but-tiny dogs we know and love.

BREED PROFILE

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Germany. The name Pomeranian comes from the old German/Polish region of Pomerania.

LIFESPAN: About 15 years.

SIZE AND PROPORTION: A sturdy, medium-bone dog, with legs proportionate to a well-balanced frame. Toy dogs, like the Pom, have fragile bodies; excessive rough play and environments are not recommended.

AVERAGE WEIGHT: 3lbs - 7lbs. Five pound Pom mothers have been know to give birth to twelve pound babies. Regulation weight is never guaranteed unless Ch. bred & if pup at 8 weeks is still around 1-2lbs.

TEMPERAMENT: Lap-Dogs! The Pom loves to be around their owners 24-7. They get lonely very easily and need to feel 100% part of the family! The Pom is a very intelligent dog and will also do anything to please their owner; this makes training quick and easy. They are wonderful companion dogs, as well as competitive show dogs.

COLORS: All colors and patterns are acceptable, including black and tan, brindle, parti-color, red, organe, cream, sable, black, brown, and blue.

COAT TYPE: Double.

SOCIALIZATION: A Pomeranian must be exposed to all situations, objects, people, and places! The more attention and love you give to a Pom the less negative attention they will seek. Showing your Pom you are in charge and have no fear of common place situations keeps them feeling secure and less anxious.

EXERCISE NEEDS: Daily light exercise. Going for a walk or play time with appropriate sized toys.

MYTHS:

When a breed becomes popular the world begins to see stereotypes. Did you know, in a recent dog study 85% of people said their number one reason for choosing a dog was based on looks and social popularity. Being a responsible dog owner you know this is a horrible route to take when finding your perfect companion. All dogs should be placed in a home based on matching lifestyle and social intentions. Since just about anyone anywhere with money can go purchase a dog of their choice leads us into creating more myth "problems." All dogs will "act up" if that breed is not correct for you. Here are some myths you can all squash about Pomeranians:

"Pom's are too hyper!"

• WRONG! Pomeranians are mellow companion lap dogs. Why do most Poms appear over energized? A notorious common mistake owners have with Poms is not understanding who they really are. This dog needs the same amount of time and attention you would give to your own human child. A responsible Pom breeder will refer to their dog as "their baby" or "their child"; this is not something to mock, but something to respect. Poms want to go where ever their owners go; see whatever their owners see. Many owners will make complaints like "they even follow me into the bathroom and have to sit their and wait for me to finish!" A Pom will follow you around everywhere you go in the house, no matter what. If this type of attention is denied or unwanted you will create an inner conflict of frustration and confusion which leads to a hyper Pom! If you enjoy this type of affection and embrace the attention your Pom will soon spend of most their time sleeping quietly in their cage or on your lap.

"All they do is bark!"

• WRONG! If not properly socialized Toy dogs will have a tendency to be reserved and bark at strangers or strange situations. They must be socialized to all kinds of people, places, and objects as puppies! If someone knocks at your door and you act calm but happy your little puppy will recognize this! Praise your Pom for sitting their quietly waiting as you great your guest. If there is a really loud noise all of a sudden, look into your Poms eyes and smile saying "good girl/boy!" Soon they will see there is absolutely nothing to fear. It takes a responsible owner to have a respectful dog. [My own female Pomeranian has never barked. Yes I mean never, not even once. The most noise she ever made in her life were slight soft whimpering sounds after spaying surgery. We taught her other ways to get the attention or things she wants and being vocal is not an option or answer.] On the other hand many owners enjoy their dog barking when someone knocks at the door. This gives an alert recognition or the comfort feeling of protection. Which ever style you choose, all pups can be taught proper household manners.

"Total ankle biters!"

• WRONG! All puppies have the tendency to follow under your foot steps and playfully nip at your pant leg or shoes. This behavior should be stopped early on with proper training. If not, likewise it will continue into adulthood. Larger dogs tend to not continue this type of behavior into adulthood for the pure reason they are no longer "ankle height." If you can not take the proper time to train your dog then do not get a toy/small dog.

"Unfriendly and distant"

• WRONG! Poms are the most affectionate and lovable breed out there! They will everything and anything to please their owner! Are their "grumpy" Pom puppies out there? Of course! Just like any dog they could of had an improper puppyhood and been through the wrong stages of socialization. (i.e. A Pom at the Hopkinton, MA shelter refuses to let you pick him up or touch him. Not because he's a Pom, but because of the horrible previous life he came from!) 

"Wimpy toy babies!"

• WRONG! Most Pomeranians don't even realize they are small. In play they will have a "tough guy" attitude; "psh your not so big, I can take you." A factual common statement about a Pom is "big dog in a little package."

"Ugh too much grooming!"

• WRONG! A Pom can go a whole two weeks without a bath or brush. Most owners of long-haired dogs enjoy brushing their lovely coats (i.e. myself). Over bathing does nothing but cause dry skin. Necessary clipping around the anus is required due to soft fecal matter possibly sticking. Other than that a Pom is just like any other hairy pup. 

"People with children should not own a Pom, they bite at you!"

• WRONG! Let's get something straight when we say child appropriate pup. If you can not handle a Pom then your child could not handle a Pom. From day one you should be "rough housing" your pup (i.e. pulling ears, fur, light rough play). If the dog bites at you, you correct. If the dog ignores the rough play, you praise and reward. You also in return must teach your children to respect the puppy! If the child pulls at the dog like a stuffed animal, you correct them! If they pet the Pom nicely, you praise and reward! If the owner did not use this strategy early on I would not be surprised if a child came along, pulled on a dogs ear, and got a little nip; the poor dog had no idea what else to do.

There may be many more stereotypes I did not cover under "MYTHS" that are in fact not true. But a simple guideline to always use is: it's the owner that makes the dog, and it's hard to teach an old dog new habits; no matter what breed!
    • Gold Top Dog
    Hmm Interesting. I had thought Poms needed abunch of grooming. Guess I was wrong. ><
    • Gold Top Dog

Actually. you've got a couple errors in here. :)

The Pomeranian is descended from the Nordic/Continental spitz breeds and is one of 5 varieties of Spitz in Germany. The "Wolfspitz" (Keeshond here in America, we use the Dutch name but the breed is the same) is the largest of the five, but probably has the littlest genetic influence in the Pomeranian's development. The Pom (under it's current name) was first imported to England with Queen Charlotte in the 18th century, although they had mostly lost fashion after her reign. They regained popularity under Queen Victoria, who fell in loev with the smaller specimans that wre then being bred in Germany. Some were given to her and she began to breed and popularize the smaller type. Although 8-30 pound Poms are still registered as Poms in this country, the history of the larger sizes is quite recent- as little as 20 years in some dogs. The second-smallest variety of Pom, the Kleinspitz, overlaps in size with the American Pomeranian standard and some Kleins have been imported as Pomeranians in the past. The Klein, Mittel and Gross spitz are all currently FSS breeds with the American Kennel club and may achieve full recognition in the future. All the spitz were developed as a small all-purpose farm dog but moreover as a companion.

Deutsche Spitz refers to ALL the German Spitz breeds, not just the Pom. The dogs imported to England with Queen Charlotte were thought to be from Pomern, Germany, and Pommer is a corruption of that name. In German, the breed is called Zwergspitz (Zwerg is dwarf or toy) The colors are native to the breed and were not an invention of the British, although the dog in it's modern form underwent a great deal of development there.

"Poms are mellow lapdogs" I have to disagree with this. Most poms are active little dogs who are much, much smarter than their owners give them credit for. Properly trained and exercised, they're not hyper- but they aren't a stuffed toy who is content just to sit on your lap forever!

"All they do is bark" - well, look at the breed's historical function. They're not big enough to be a guard dog, but one of the functions of essentially EVERY small farm dog- from the sheltie and corgi to the schnauzer- is that they alarm bark. Poms aren't any different. Curbing it just requires training. They'er definately a big dog in a small package!

Grooming - I disagree that they need a bath every two weeks, or that overbathing (done properly) can cause dry skin. You've got to rinse them properly, but along with that, they should be groomed as needed. I *do* find that most Poms in proper (ie harsh) adult coat need a quick comb behind the ears and the front legs twice a week. Many Poms have incorrect softer coats and need it more often than that, though, particularly if they get to play in areas with grass or leaves.

Poms are okay with kids, but their size is a concern. In general, folks with kids who want a Pom should look for an adult with a known good history with kids who is on the larger size.  It's far from impossible to train an adult dog, and Poms are no exception to this rule.

Cait & the 'big pom' Lizzie the mittelspitz. 

• Gold Top Dog

As a trainer, I would have liked it if instead of "rough housing" you had used another phrase.   Appropriate all-over handling is fine, rough housing tends to encourage biting and nipping which you then tell people to "correct".  I prefer to suggest that people substitute appropriate chew objects for their hands, and if the dog does nip the hand, that the owner yelp, much as another puppy would, and then ignore the dog momentarily.  This tells the pup that biting on human skin is not appropriate, and will result in no play or other pleasurable activity.  This is how pups tell each other, and if you notice, pups that have a lot of interaction with other dogs when they are young do eventually learn to inhibit their bites. 

• Gold Top Dog

Thanks for adding more history to the thread! I do know about their sizes, traditional names, and how it all started with the Queen [all of that history] but this was just a brief overview. But thanks for adding more!

As for "MYTHS" you are pretty much agreeing with what I said, but wording it differently:

"Properly trained and exercised, they're not hyper" Yes exactly this is what I was saying. If you understand this breed and utilize their need for attention & exercise the rest of the time will be spent relaxing in your lap. Most people have a prejudged image of this bouncing off the walls dog which is totally false. If any dog, of any breed, is "bouncing off the walls" then that owner is not exercising or paying proper attention to their needs. [i.e. If I go a whole day without giving Kayla her outside play walk or I am not home enough; I come home to this extremely hyper and frustrated dog. If I spent lots of time with her, and accepting her need for attention; I have a calm sleepy puppy who will spend most of her day laying in my lap or sleeping in her cage.] The point of this being a "MYTH" is that a Pom is not hyper, a Pom needs their appropriate lifestyle or else yes like any dog they will retaliate with excess energy.

"They're deff a big dog in a small package" Yes I said this exact sasme thing under the prejudge notion of people thinking Poms are these wimpy fluffy toy dogs. This is not true at all. And like I said if you enjoy the alert barking that is fine and should be expected in many breeds not just Poms. BUT Poms are not this barking obsessive animal. You can teach this breed not to bark. (i.e. my Pom NEVER barks) So to be turn-off by this breed because "all they do is bark" is a MYTH and FALSE.

GROOMING: The things you listed for grooming I consider "typical hairy dog" grooming. People have this judgment that Poms "oh man lot's of grooming." When in fact this isn't true. You don't want to over bath any dog like I said causing dry skin. And most owners with long hair dogs enjoy the connection of "grooming time." (i.e. I, for one, love brushing Kayla! We bond, its relaxing, and I love fluffing her up) The fact is Poms don't need it every day all day. Yes coats can differ Pom to Pom so brushing and routine grooming should be decided based on personal needs.

KIDS: And yes as I said you need to teach a puppy from day one good habits with other people, children, and animals. Otherwise you end up like an adult Pom I knew in a shelter who if you came anywhere near him he'd bite at you.

Overall the "MYTH" section is to let everyone know: No matter what breed you will have problems. Those stereotypes about Poms are not true. With the proper lifestyle and training a Pom could in fact be the perfect pet for your family.

• Gold Top Dog

Thanks for pointing out the appropriate term for "rough housing" [which is why I put it in quotes]

All-Over Handling (if that is what you refer to it as) is exactly what I am talking about. Putting your hands in their food, being around them when they eat, pulling at their coat, light rough play. All puppy owners should know, and as you know as a trainer, how important this method is. It can prevent many accidents. Showing/teaching your dog to not become defensive or overreact in these situations is very important for this breed. To learn more about proper training tools consults a trainer or book reference to figure out what will work for your family. Also remember it is just as important to "show/teach" your children how to properly respect animals!

"Correction" should always be done when a puppy bites you or another. Overall I am not trying to teach training techniques, but to bring awareness that a Pom could be just as suitable for a family with children as any other dog. It is all about knowledge of breed & understanding how to be a responsible owner & to train your dog from a young age.

It's good to know you are a trainer spiritdogs! If I ever need some advice I know I'll be messaging you! 

• Gold Top Dog

Becca-KarahCmas07007-1.jpg picture by lindy2taylor

This is my little guy "Pippin".  What do you think?  Cute, huh?  I didn't resize the pic.  I wanted to get it posted on you new breed thread. 

Lindy

• Gold Top Dog

Becca-KarahCmas07008.jpg picture by lindy2taylor

Oh, OK.  Just one more pic.  Here is is in full stance.  He is with Trinket and Winston.  When I bring a new boy home, I use "belly bands" to minimize the number of "accidents" that may occur due to anxiety.  Blue camo is very fetching.  Trinket is a 6lb Yorkie.  She makes him look big.  Winston is a 14lb Tzu.  He makes Pippin look small.  He is all fuzz.  When I pick him up, he's all of maybe three pounds.

When would I have an idea of how big he will be.  Are Pom's like all other dogs, about half grown at 6mos, and pretty much done at a year?  I don 't really mind if he isn't teeny weeny,  I just wonder about their growth pattern.

• Gold Top Dog

Pippen's a handsome boy, but I'd bet he weighs more like 6.5-7 pounds than 3 unless that's a twin bed? He looks right on par with my Lizzie, who is 6.5 pounds at 3 months (and should be between 16-20 as an adult, so she's right on track.) Most Poms will have their full height by 6 months but continue to fill out for another few months and coat up for the next two years.

• Gold Top Dog

This pic is a little deceiving.  It is a double bed.  In this pic he even looks bigger than Winston.  Pippin was just to the vet's two weeks ago and he was just coming up on four lbs.  It was 3.?   We were talking about three different dogs and two cats.  I missed his stats.  His own apt is coming up this week.  I have to re-start his puppy vaccs.  I will get a new weight on him. 

Trinket weighs around  6 3/4 - 7lbs (give or take for the time).  She is over weight, but she has some health probs and doc does not want her on a diet.  But, she easily outweighs him.

I really hope he doesn't turn out to be a 20 pounder.  That is a far stretch from what I thought I was taking on.  I have a muscle disease and a spinal prob.  I need my dogs to be easily lifted, carried, and cared for.  Winston is 14lbs, and that can be a struggle.  20lbs?  Eeek!  The upside is that he is very agile.  Maybe I won't have to lift him much since he apparently can FLY....LOL!

• Gold Top Dog
    Well, remember, Lizzie's not a Pom- she's a mittelspitz. The growth patterns are similar. I'd bet he ends up around 5 pounds or so, if he's 3 pounds at 6 months.
    • Gold Top Dog

I am hoping he stays in the ten pound range.  He is only 4mos old and he weighs about 3 3/4 - 4 lbs.  In fact, he is probably over 4lbs because it has been two weeks.  I will know more after the vet visit.

• Gold Top Dog

oh, I thought you said he was 6 months. I'd bet he ends up around 6.5-8, in that case.  

• Gold Top Dog

I love his traditional coloring! The white markings are also gorgeous! Looks like a complete doll, you are very lucky!

Pom's are usually done growing at one year yes. I would say he'll be 11lbs or under [based on the picture, but I'd have to hold him to really be able to tell. There is a certain "bulkyness" you can feel in a Pom to guess future weight]. Potential weight can never really be guarenteed unless long line of Ch. breeding of course. I would say he appears that he will be bigger than regulation size [<7lbs]. He has more of the spitz qualities like my Kayla does [ears & nose] verses the traditional round ears & short nose. [Which personally I like the spitz look better!! Reminds me of a little fox! We always call Kayla our little kleinspitz since we're actually german haha]

His coat at 6-7 months "should" be full grown... this is when people start to really get into showing males. Coats very a lot between Poms due to different breeding. Males will traditionally have the nice full show quality coat and shed less. Based on the picture he looks like he will have a nice one!!! [its just short right now]

• Gold Top Dog

That would be wonderful.  That really falls into my range of managability.  Sorry about the confusion on the age.  Things moved so quickly here.  When the original purchaser of the pup told me she needed to place him, I asked his age.  She didn't know.  She had had him only 4wks.  Another indication that they really did not need a dog.  She said she "thought" he was about 6 to 7 mos old.  It wasn't until after I had him for a week and then got his AKC papers that I saw the birth date. 

I wasn't prepared (mentally) for a 3mos old, but I was a bit relieved and surprised.  I was relieved because I couldn't figre out why a pet store would have a litter of pup for $500 that were already 5 MONTHS old.  They weren't.  They were probably 7 -8 WEEKS.   I haven't done the math.  The surprise to me was how mature he was in behavior.  All of my dogs have always been very well behaved so I started immediately with Pippin.  I am very pleased with his ability to stay alone or be kenneled at nite time with out any fussing.  I am very pleased.

His cuddly and attentive nature, will that change as he matures into an adult Pom?  I have read things about their independent and detatched/stubborn nature.  Is that another owner misreading of the breed.  He is not showing ANY of those things.