What breed is this dog?

• Bronze

What breed is this dog?

This whole thing is bizarre but I am hoping you guys can at least help me figure out this dogs breed. Last night as my sister and her family were leaving boy scouts they found a dog running around the parking lot.  The dog was very friendly and came over to my sister.  She saw it had a collar with tags so she gave a call to the owner of "Princess".  She called the # on the tag and informed the owner that she had her dog.  The owner seemed a bit confused as her dog was sitting right next to her.  The lady on the phone asked if the dog was a small white maltese (which is what  princess is) but the dog my sister found was not.  So my sister then called the humane society to check the license that was on the collar.  The operator confirmed that the tag was registered to a maltese.   Like I said this whole thing is really bizarre.  Since it was past 8 the operator told my sister she had two choices.  Either drive out to the humane society or take the dog home.  So my sister and her family are now the proud owners of Lola.  Now we are just wanting to get an idea of what Lola is.  I am thinking a chihuahua but the ears have me thinking she is mixed with something.  Any thoughts? 

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Sorry the pics are so big. 

My sister took Lola to get groomed this morning (she said her nails were horribly long) and they have an appt to see a vet tomorrow to give her a check-up.

Thanks!

Amy

• Gold Top Dog

I see some Beagle.  Even tho Beagles can be black & tan (it's a hound color) it isn't that common.  I think your idea of Chihuahua mix is a pretty good one.  Maybe Beagle/Chihuahua?  There could be at least one other breed in there someplace, too.  Did your sister ask the Maltese owner if she knew anyone with a dog that fits Lola's description?  Someone had access to the Maltese's tags in order to put them on Lola.

• Gold Top Dog

I see dachshund/beagle. No chihuahua.... sorry =]

I would have her scanned for a microchip, check the papers and report her as a found dog to your local animal control and surrounding shelters. Please warn your sister not to get too attached just yet, she could be someones baby.

• Gold Top Dog

My mom had a beagle/doxie mix for many, many years that looked a lot like that dog.

• Gold Top Dog

I'd say doxie /beagle mix.Our daughter has a beagle mix and it looks alot like that

• Gold Top Dog

I'm also going to go with beagle/dachshund. It's kind of a doxie head stuck on a beagle body!

• Gold Top Dog
    what a plump little cutie! I agree with everyone else on the breeds. Dogs never just run up to me which is good because if I couldn't find the owner I'd probably keep them.
    • Gold Top Dog

the owner wasnt even missing her collar and tags??

sounds like some weird practical joke... she looks to be a well fed old lady!! i agree with scanning for a chip, but i have a feeling there wont be one...

oh and i agree with beagle and doxie.. AND chihuahua...  

• Gold Top Dog

I think its a Trex Hound.... just kidding!  She is a porker though!

Dax/beagle cross is my guess, but she looks like a sweet old lady whatever she is... a very lovely face and Lola is a gorgeous name that suits her to a T.  Does she want to keep her?  There might be someone out there very distraught at losing her....

• Bronze

This dog could also be a chubby miniature pinscher that never had its tail docked.  Here are some pictures of my girlfriend's min. pin.

I have seen them age to look a lot like the one in your pictures, but everyone else could be right about the mix as well.

• Gold Top Dog

My first thought with the face was also MinPin. Esp upon seeing your pic!

• Puppy

As soon as i saw her I knew. Minpin. Older dog, 8-10. They are prone to get overweight and sometimes have problems with water weight or thyroid problems.

• Silver

My first thought from the face was a black and tan Rat Terrier, but I agree with Min Pin. My husband's family used to have a black and tan Min Pin that looked just like "Princess" while he was diabetic and fat. Could be the mixes though.

• Gold Top Dog
    I see some Doxie, maybe some minpin? There's tests you can get done at the vet to find out, if your truly interested.
    • Puppy

I see Rat Terrier