Is this a pure breed German Shepherd?Answer ASAP please

• Gold Top Dog

Do you know how much she weighs?  A lot of people here feed their German Shepherds Canidae.  It is a very good food and reasonably priced.  It might be harder to find though.  I feed my GSD Solid Gold Barking at the Moon and Nature's Variety Prairie (there are several flavors to choose from).  Other people use Innova, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul, Orijen, or Timberwolf.  I feed my dogs twice a day and how much depends on weight.  Coke is like 75 lbs so he gets about 3 cups total (1.5 at a time).  Kenya is under 60lbs and she gets 2 cups total.  They also get some extras like a raw egg, spoonful of plain yogurt, and/or a canned sardine on top.  Before we got Coke, I only fed Kenya once a day and she was fine.  That also meant she only pooped once a day which was nice.

• Gold Top Dog

I feed Canidae. Twice a day. 7 AM and 6 PM.

B'asia is 60 lbs and still growing and Jaia is 80 lbs and still filling out. They both eat about the same amount. 2.5 - 3 cups a day. I would start with what's on the package (the lower amount) and then adjust. She should remain thin. Her ribs up on her back should feel like the back of your hand. It's REALLY important not to let her get overweight.

It's also important not to exercise her rigorously right after eating. I leave 2 hours on either side of a meal for hard exercise. If it's really hard running, I wait till 3 hours after they eat.

You'll need a brush and a rake.  Something like this.

And probably a nail clipper. I like this style.

Smile 

• Gold Top Dog

Also, in Florida you will need her on flea and tick prevention and heartworm pills year 'round. 

• Gold Top Dog

I went to Petsco,Petsmart,Pet supermarket,and they dont have canidae,they told me about eukanuba..They said its made for GSG.What should I do?

• Gold Top Dog

I use this site to pick food and avoid anything that has less than 4 stars. 

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/ 

I also won't feed anything that contains corn, wheat, or soy (or something similar like "corn gluten meal";).  I've found entirely grain-free foods to be a little TOO rich for my GSD and she gets runny poop, but grains like rice or potato are better than corn or wheat. 

Here is the rating for Eukanuba.  I wouldn't feed it.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=106&cat=7

There are some websites where you can order good quality dog food online for free shipping if you can't find any in a store.  Maybe someone else knows the sites? 

• Gold Top Dog

thank you Liesje for all your help..I was searching and I found this website http://www.carealotpets.com/dog-food-canidae/ tell me what you think of the price and which one to buy..chicken and rice or all life stages(lamb and rice)...If anyone knows a website that has better price or something let me know..please..

• Gold Top Dog

www.petfooddirect.com also carries lots of good brands including Canidae.  Canidae is very fairly priced. However, you have to pay the shipping unless you can find a site with free shipping.  My dogs eat a different food and it's about $45 per bag from the store, so I guess it evens out.

If I were feeding Canidae, I'd rotate the flavors with each bag.  Rotating foods can help prevent allergies from developing.  If you rotate different brands, the dogs can be a little sick or have diarrhea after the switch.  I like to find a good brand that has a few different flavors so I can rotate the same brand and they don't seem to notice.  For example, I use Nature's Variety Prairie.  First we had Chicken and Rice.  Now we have Venison and Millet.  Next we will have Lamb and Oatmeal or Beef and Barley.  It's the same basic formula by the same company, so when I switch bags it doesn't make them sick.  So if I used Canidae, I'd rotate between the ALS and the chicken.  Some people do rotate totally different brands.  I've tried giving my dog Solid Gold and that was OK but she got thinner and had runny poop.  I tried Innova EVO and she had bad diarrhea.  So, right now I'm sticking with the different flavors of Nature's Variety Prairie b/c it doesn't make them sick.  It usually takes some experimenting to develop a good rotation, if you want to go that route.  Some dogs are fine with the same food forever, as long as they don't develop an allergy to an ingredient in the food. 

• Gold Top Dog
    Canidae is a very common "super-premium" dog food. If you are living in Miami you should be able to find it in a smaller pet store near your house. If you go to the Canidae website there is a store locator and it will show you all the stores in Miami that carry it. I'm looking at it now and there are 12 stores in the Miami area that carry it. Didn't you mention that you were from Cuba? Beautiful country. I went there several years ago for a couple weeks and had a great time. People are so nice there. Good luck with your new dog.
    • Gold Top Dog

I get Canidae from Pet Supplies Plus....my local feed and seed store carries it when I ask, but they charge more......I feed twice a day with added meat sources......I can't speak for all dogs, but my GSD Rumour has allergies and I can't feed anything with corn in it. He does fine with rice and potatoes.

Liesje, I know you did your research before bringing Kenya home and she is over three years old, but you have to remember the OP will be bringing home a dog roughly a year old....still very much a puppy......trust me.......things are different. Tanner is a little over a year old....and he is still puppy....ask Truley, Kord is a little over a year old.....according to her she still has a puppy on her hands....lol

• Gold Top Dog

Thank you Iggypop..Yes Im from Cuba..I was born there..I came to Miami when I was 14..not too long ago.Its true..its a beatiful country..I been there three times after I came..Im planning to go in the summer..thanks for you help...I will see what store around my area carries canidae..thanks again..

Thank you Snownose

• Gold Top Dog

Nestor, so happy to hear that you adopted the older girl. I do want to add that she is still very much a puppy and to not be fooled by her size. My boy is 15months old and he is still a puppy and I will consider him such until he is about 2 to 2.5 years old. Get used to the strange looks your gonna get when you say "I have a puppy...",  People do a double take when I show them pictures, they are like "um, I don't think so!"

And I agree with the Canidea, I had Kord on this recently but weaned him off since I am going to a more home cooked style of feeding for him. But while on it he did very good!

I think at this point, once you both have settled in, you are required to post pictures to pacify us GSD lovers.

• Puppy

It is possible it is what they term an alsasion german sheperd.  It may be the large real german variety (hence long hair, square face, coloring, etc.) however, the ears are not quite right in that they are not quite big enough to really be a good example of that breed.  While the ears may indeed be down at the age displayed by this pup, they are still pretty small to be.  The body form is quite sheperd in appearance.  If you want a purebreed you would be best to either study the offspring of these rather large dogs (they get over 100 pounds, I had one that weighted close to 130) and see if it fits the bill.  It does appear that it may have some lab in it because of the ears.

• Gold Top Dog

I second (or third) Canidae. Mine are on "all stages". I agree. Look around where you are to find a place that sells it locally. Shipping prices are going to add unnecessary cost. Look in the yellow pages and go to pet stores and ask them where you can get Canidae (or whatever you decide on) locally. What you feed her may be decided by what you can get locally. I wouldn't have dog food shipped.

snownose
    Tanner is a little over a year old....and he is still puppy....ask Truley, Kord is a little over a year old.....according to her she still has a puppy on her hands....lol

Sad  Jaia, too! He's 15 months and nothing but a puppy.

Truley
    I think at this point, once you both have settled in, you are required to post pictures to pacify us GSD lovers.

Hear! Hear! I want pics! LOL  

• Gold Top Dog

FourIsCompany
    Sad  Jaia, too! He's 15 months and nothing but a puppy.

It looks like all three of us still have puppies.....and soon the OP......yes, we really need pics....lol

• Gold Top Dog

SadI have bad news...Her owner came for her today..Im so sad...