Is this a pure breed German Shepherd?Answer ASAP please

• Gold Top Dog

I was just asking a question about the muzzle..I never said I was going to do it...Ofcourse Im going to crate train her..

• Gold Top Dog

One thing you should check with your parents about - house insurance rates can change depending on what kind of dog you have. German Shepherds are sometimes on the "list" of dogs that require extra homeowner's insurance - you should check with your insurance company before you get one just to be sure. It would be quite unfortunate to bring the dog home, have a house fire or something, and then realize your homeowner's insurance isn't going to cover it because having a German Shepherd voided the policy. Indifferent 

• Gold Top Dog

hi everyone..It looks like she is going to be mine..If her owner have not pick her up by now I think he never will..Im happy!!!!...

• Gold Top Dog

Never leave a dog alone with a muzzle. Not for 5 minutes. 

I'm sorry. Until you know more about dogs, and can have one in the house, I don't think you should have one, let alone a GSD.

I couldn't agree more; sorry, but I think you're rushing into this and need to do a lot more research before bringing any dog home, especially a working, guarding breed like a GSD.

• Gold Top Dog

Yes,

NestorMiami

I was just asking a question about the muzzle..I never said I was going to do it...Ofcourse Im going to crate train her..

YES, get a crate and start training her right away. Honestly  GSD from a shelter (where you don't know her background, if she's ever been aggressive, etc) and a two year old child in the house with you away from the dog for for five hours a day sounds like a VERY bad idea in my opinion.  I hope for the dog and the child's sake that this wasn't an impulse decision.  Please do as much research as you possibly can, get lots of books about GSD's, look into obedience classes and become familiar with the things you need to know about this powerful breed. The fact that you asked if you can leave a dog muzzled for five hours worries me a little:(.  You do not want an aggressive GSD in the house and if you don't properly give her mental stimulation and excersize, plus the one on one love and attention they need you most likely will end up with a dog wtih problems.

• Gold Top Dog

Do you have a crate?  it should be in place before she comes home and from the first second it should be associated with good things and never used as a punishment.  Feed her meals shut in there.

Have the whole family been to meet the dog?  What have the shelter said about her history, is she thought to be ok with kids or not?

Have you looked into training classes?  These should also be researched and arranged as early as possible, in advance if you can.  They are normally a great experience for dogs.  They learn to listen to ou in the presence of distractions like other people/dogs and you pick up great information and handling tips as well.  But you need to be careful as anyone can call themselves a trainer.  You need to go along and look without the dog to make sure you are happy with the techniques used.  They should be KIND and the trainer shouldnt be stretched too thinly among too many people and dogs.

If you are unlucky this time, try to contact the GSD rescue as they will be able to help you enormously in your search and in getting ready for your dog.

Have you done any reading?  Seeing as this is a guarding breed and shelter dogs are often more likely to have problems with resource guarding and there wil be a 2yr old in the house with the dog, I suggest you get a copy of a book called "Mine! a guide to resource guarding in dogs".  Do a forum search on resource guarding too.  I'd also suggest you get "Calming Signals" by Turid Rugaas which is helpful and interesting and will help you understand much better what your dog is saying to you.... too often a dog is condemned as a "bad dog" when he really is just misunderstood. 

• Gold Top Dog

NestorMiami
    hi everyone..It looks like she is going to be mine..

Well, OK. Smile  Please stay around here and let us know how it's going and ask any questions you may have about anything. There are a lot of people here who are really great with new dogs and can help you through any problems you might have. Plus, I know we all want to see more pictures of this beautiful girl!

Keep us updated!  

• Bronze

If you're sure that you need a pure breed German Shepherd buy it from a breeder. If you're looking for a dog you must be 100% sure you really need it. Because it's a huge responsibility. I've seen so many dogs left alone because of their owners who had changed their mind. You wrote you really don't know a lot about dogs, then maybe start with some volunteering for an animal shelter. It's a good experience. And that's a good way to learn a lot about what does it mean to take care of a dog. It's not the right way to choose a dog according to some obscure reasons. Never take a dog if you've any doubts.

• Gold Top Dog

thanks for all those tips and recommendations..What size and type of dog crate should I buy her? 42"???Any ideas?What ever she wants she will have it with me..

• Gold Top Dog

I'm going to give this poster the benefit of the doubt.  It tends to irk me that GSDs are always guilty until proven innocent, like we have to assume the dog is going to be aggressive and rip apart the house, child and all, and be surprised if that's not the case.

Kudos for rescuing a shelter dog and coming here for advice!

GSDs typically need a 42" crate.  Mine uses a 36", but she is at the small end of the standard, 21" and 60lbs.  She cannot stand up all the way in her crate.  Our new dog has a 42" and wow does it seem WAY bigger than a 36"!  That should be fine for a GSD, unless it's an insanely oversized GSD.  I use a wire crate with a cover b/c my GSD likes to have a "den" so she likes it covered, but you'll have to experiment with that.  Some dogs get too hot or chew on the cover.

• Gold Top Dog

Liesje
    I'm going to give this poster the benefit of the doubt.

Me, too. Either that or we chase her(?) away and I don't want to do that! Smile

NestorMiami, you seem determined and that's a good character trait for someone who's getting a dog. Yes

I agree with a wire crate and a cover. That way if she's too hot, you can remove the cover. Please read about introducing your dog to a crate. Here's a great document on that:

http://www.ddfl.org/behavior/crate-train.pdf 

• Gold Top Dog

Also, since she's been kenneled at a shelter, you might have to take a few steps back with potty training (assuming she was even trained to begin with).  Sometimes shelter dogs have no choice but to soil their kennel and can sometimes soil their crate or the house when they are adopted.  You will want to make up a potty schedule and get her into a routine of going potty certain times a day.  I'm a big fan of scheduled potty times rather than waiting for the dog to have to "tell" you she has to go and then having an accident in the house. 

• Gold Top Dog

Liesje
    It tends to irk me that GSDs are always guilty until proven innocent, like we have to assume the dog is going to be aggressive and rip apart the house, child and all, and be surprised if that's not the case.

Oh dear - hope that wasn't for me! Embarrassed

As long as its done carefully, I don't think training to pre-empt any resource guarding does any harm and may even do some good.  I would suggest it for any dog that was a) with an unknown history b) going to be living with little kids c) of a "guarding" breed.  As this situation incorporates A b and C, I think it's a good idea... esp as this seems like a newbie.

Come back and keep us posted!  and we need MORE PICS!!!!

• Gold Top Dog

Chuffy

Liesje
    It tends to irk me that GSDs are always guilty until proven innocent, like we have to assume the dog is going to be aggressive and rip apart the house, child and all, and be surprised if that's not the case.

Oh dear - hope that wasn't for me! Embarrassed

No no, just in general.  I get that vibe a lot, mostly from people I know.  At the shelter where I volunteer, the GSDs are always "to GSD experienced homes ONLY" even though they are typically the most calm, biddable dogs in the shelter.  Everyone, even the shelter workers, seem to assume that GSDs are bred for guarding when that's totally not true.  That's not even a term GSD people use.  Unless you are training and selling professionally handled estate dogs, the word "guard" should not really come up unless it refers to livestock, though they really herd.  In my experience, I have not found them to be any more possessive or protective of their owners than any other breed, it's just that let's face it, an alert GSD looks a lot scarier and more dangerous than say, an alert Puggle.  I think they are often misread, even by dog lovers.  I also don't believe it's true that GSDs are not for first-time dog owners.  Every dog owner is different and there are plenty of first time dog owners that can handle a GSD.  Growing up, I always thought the GSD was a family dog, on par with a labrador.  I guess my family culture was different b/c my relatives only ever had labs, rottweilers and GSDs and we never thought of the latter two as "guard" dogs, they were just like any other dog.

I don't see why the protocol of bringing a rescue GSD into the home is all that different than bringing home a boston terrier, save for crate size and food portions. 

• Gold Top Dog

all of you make me happy trying to help me with this..when it comes to food?What should I buy her?how many times a day once or twice?thanks..any tips you have for me,they are more than welcome!!!!