melmatt
GDs are independent thinkers and they are very family oriented. Training is key! They get big fast. They are playful and don't know their size. I think they think they are small dogs. They are "lap" dogs. They sit on your lap, couch, chairs....anything with a good cushion. They are big leaners too. So, when they lean into you, try to make sure you have a wall behind you for support! : D KC is our first puppy. She was an aggressive chewer but she did not chew furniture (stuffed or other). She did however love to tear apart her blankets and toys (stuffed or other) She'd also eat them if you weren't watching her carefully. I don't know if the chewing thing is characteristic of the breed. She has since grown out of it and loves her plush toys. She also loves her old leash...to play tug of war with. GD's are also very sensitive and they learn fast. They will, as with any dog, test your limits. I remember one time we had blocked off the hall with chairs. We did this at night so she would not wander the house without our knowing. Well, she did figure out a way to climb over them very quietly...get into something and make it back without us knowing. We'd find out in the morning of course but by then she was where she was supposed to be. They are thinkers/problem solvers. You can watch them put things together. Our last Dane, Montana, liked to bite at the waves. We lived on a lake at the time. He figured out that when the boats went by, the waves got bigger and were easier to bite. He'd watch for the boats and the waves coming in. Danes are not water dogs...unless you get them used to it as a puppy and then I think it might be a personality thing. KC loves the beach and ocean. She'll go in up to her chest and chase the waves. Bring her to a pond and she wants nothing to do with it. Danes also go thru fear stages. They can see a rock in your yard and be ok with it and one day it'll freak them out. Don't encourage the behavior with a soothing voice or coddle them. Encourage them to check it out and bring them over to it. Then praise them for it. Danes should not be fearful. Cautious but not fearful. One last thing. Well 2. Danes do not eat you out of house and home. Their food intake will match their activity level. KC eats 4 cups a day, give or take. She eats when she's hungry so she may or may not finish everything in her dish. 2nd, We lived in a small cottage on the lake with our last dane. About 500sq feet or so. He was content in that space. You don't necessarily need a large area for them but you do want to walk/run them regularly. They will do whatever you like to do. KC likes to hike. Montana liked to watch TV. He was a couch potato when he wasn't hiking! Would love to include some pics with the message but I don't know how....If anyone does.... We have some new pics on our page (will have shortly) of KC at the beach & with my inlaws GS pup.

Wow that is helpful. I didn't know they go through fear stages. The more I research the breed, the more I feel it's the dog for me when I get my own house again:)