German Shepards and Great Danes

• Gold Top Dog

German Shepards and Great Danes

I'm looking in to researching new breeds for the future when I get two new dogs. I'm looking in to the Great Dane(BF's request. Lol) and any other breed. I was thinking about a Husky or Malamute but after reading up on them, I don't think I'd be able to handle one. So I'm curious about GSD's. They seem like a beautiful breed and I figure where to get the best advice except from the people that own them.

Keeping in mind I'm not buying them right away. A) I can't afford a new dog and B) I don't have the space yet. But in the future I hope to add two new family members.

Thanks!!

• Gold Top Dog

The first thing you should know about GSDs is that, even more than many other breeds, research, research, research is absolutely paramount.

Do you want American lines, or German?  Working lines or show?  East German, DDR, or Czech?  Do you want a dog for conformation, schutzhund, tracking, herding, obedience, agility?  What do you know about their health issues?

Black and tan, saddle, blanket, b-color, sable, solid black, white?  Longhair or standard coat?

The German Shepherd Dog is probably the most loyal breed of dog there is.  He will breathe, live, and die for you as long as you respect him and treat him as an "equal".  This of course does not mean you allow the dog to run your household, but if you do not respect the dog, he will have no trouble saying "Eff you, you jerk!" and leave you stone cold alone.

The physical exercise requirements actually aren't as demanding as one would think.  What gets most GSD novices is the MENTAL requirements.  This breed will generally misbehave because it's bored, not because it's underexercised (though that can be the case as well).  A mile or two jog or bike/jog during the day combined with some good fetch is satisfactory physical exercise for them, but they absolutely thrive on puzzles and mental challenges.

This is a breed that loves to learn, and they are incredibly easy to shape and teach because of their willingness to please.  Highly biddable and multifunctional, there is no better breed, in my opinion.

Great with children, especially if raised with them.  Naturally wary of strangers, one does not need to panic when their Shepherd meets a new person, but be aware of their temperament, and explain to those who wish to pet that when the dog shows disinterest, he is not unfriendly, he just simply does not care.  If the stranger is not their human and they are not a threat, the dog feels no reason to show interest.  The GSD is supposed to be an aloof animal, and any dog that is too friendly (Strauss), too fearful (Zander), or too aggressive (A GSD at class I know), is faulted in temperament.  However, I will take the dog that is too friendly over the last two.

Leadership is extremely important.  You must be firm, but fair.  Do not waiver when those brown eyes stare into yours and say "Puhleeeeeeze don't put me in the kennel!"  Do not falter when your dog shrieks like a gutted banshee to be let OUT of said kennel.  Do not second guess when your dog has a spazz attack and needs to be convinced that the kitchen broom will not consume him.

Socialization is also important, and because of the natural temperament of the breed is to be indifferent, there is no such thing as too much socialization.  You should expose them to anything and everything (even though you will run into things you NEVER thought of....my Strauss is afraid of people in costumes if he can't see the face).

Understand that while beautiful, loyal, and true to their hearts, the German Shepherd Dog is not a healthy breed.  I hate to admit it, but it's true.  Some of the things the GSD is susceptible to are:

Hip Dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, megaesophagus, bloat, torsion, pannus, dengenerative myleopathy, spondylosis

Screening the first two is simple...you just go to a breeder that OFA's and whose lines have a strong OFA background.  Bloat and Torsion is somewhat thought to be genetic, but, there are health issues in every line.  This is a deepchested large breed, so they are naturally more prone to bloat/torsion, and is just part of the package.  DM is something that should be read up on and studied, as well as spondylosis.

They can be highly prey driven, no matter what the line.  While they can be taught not to eat cats that YOU own, if there are outdoor cats on your property, the "Kitty Courtesy" may not extend to them, and it is something to be aware of.

This is a wonderful breed, but not one for the faint of heart or feeble of mind.

• Gold Top Dog

*blinks* Wow. I never knew there were so many different kinds of GSD's. Seems I've got my work cut out for me. Training and keeping them mentally stimulated won't be hard as Maze is also like that(black lab/border collie mix). With the health problems, I may lean away from this breed but I'm not sure. I know I want another large breed to go with the Great Dane.

Thanks for your advice on this topic. I don't want to choose a breed that's not right for my family.  

• Gold Top Dog

www.workinggermanshepherd.com <--Eichenluft Shepherds, East German/DDR working line

www.eurosportk9.com <--Eurosport K9, Czech working lines

www.mittelwest.com <--Mittelwest Shepherds, West German Showlines

www.victorygermanshepherds.com <--Victory German Shepherds, American Showlines

• Gold Top Dog

Another great dane Wink

• Gold Top Dog

Not to discount anything that's been posted, but you are likely to find health issues in just about any breed these days.  There is so much back and irresponsible breeding going on that almost no breed is safe from health issues.

Let me give you a little glimpse into my world.....one that includes 6 german shepherds.  For a long time, all but one my boys have been sleeping in their open crates downstairs.  We kept trying to convince them it was ok to stay upstairs, but, to no avail.  Finally, Thor was convinced that he could stay upstairs at night.  The situation now?  I often fall asleep in my recliner watching TV.  Sometime in the night I wake up and go to bed. Prior to this, everyone floats around between the bedroom and the livingroom, watching over me and DH, but once I start moving, well that's it.  Tyler, just over two and a foster who I placed poorly and got back, has decided that the bedroom is HIS domaine.  Sheba is allowed in, but the little stinker lays right beside my side of the bed, which happens to be closest to the door, and will NOT let Thor come in.  It was just a few little growls and Thor would come flying over Tyler into the bed.....fun getting 90 lbs of flying dog landing on a waterbed, but.....Now for the past week or so, I had been staying in the livingroom when I woke up because DH had surgery and I didn't want to encourage the dogs to go in our room and accidently step on him.  I think that was the turning point.  NOW, Tyler guards that door fiercely...he gets up and patrols, he lays in  a different position to make it that much more difficult for Thor to come in at all.  Tyler is not particularly fond of being on the bed, but by golly he's determined to keep Thor from getting on it, or even in the room.  He doesn't care at all if Sheba is on the bed, or if Sheba is in the room, but heaven forbid Thor try.  And, the middle of the night when everyone ELSE is sleeping and I'm wanting to just isn't a good time to try to retrain behaviors.

So, at 5 this morning, I just gave up and got up.  To correct Tyler would make enough noise to wake DH, who unlike me,is a pretty light sleeper.  And, I figured Thor whining in the hallway wasn't real condusive to either of us sleeping much.  Now, I'm sitting in my office, and rather than Thor laying right beside me and Sheba and Tyler being somewhere in the room, well, Thor is blocking the door.  Since the other three genuinely WANT to go to their crates to sleep, I sure am not going to encourage anyone else to stay upstairs......Tongue Tied

I'm the Mom and somehow the most desireable person in the house.  For all six.  Evidently, without even trying, I've achieved Goddess status!

There are advantages to this, but also some disadvantages.

I can take all six dogs off lead for a romp in the woods and never raise my voice to be heard or obeyed.  GSD's are SMART and very eager to please.  Not one of mine will take off after the local wildlife.  If they see a turkey, bunny, pheasant or a deer, they look to me before they take off chasing and "leave it" is all it takes from me.  They are prey driven and being herders, REALLY want to get that flock of turkeys moving in an orderly fashion.  I know for sure that three of mine are from working lines, one I'm not positive and two both parents were show dogs, BUT we don't know the family tree (the three youngest are "failed" fosters)

I absolutely would not recommend a shepherd to a first time owner unless that person was totally dedicated and had done TONS of research.  I, an experienced dog owner, was totally unprepared for the difference in the breed, and shocked when I left my first two out in the house for 20 minutes while I ran out to get a gallon of milk and came home to find a new recliner destroyed.  My cockers never ate my furniture.  GSD's do seem to take some sort of inate pleasure in getting the stuffing out of things.  Even now I can't be sure that a comforter tossed on the couch will survive.

This is a wonderful breed and one that I wouldn't hesitate to suggest to anyone who has a little dog savy under their belts.  I have no interest in showing and I have no expectations of my dogs other than to be companions.  We do a little agility, but in our yard, Tyler does therapy with the elderly and we make a rather impressive sight when we take them into town for a leash walk.  All I expect from my crew really, is good manners and to behave in public as well as they do at home.  Because of this, my perspective is a bit different than Zephs.

The one thing I strongly advise, is to find a GOOD breeder.  Oh, and puppy proof your home and be prepared to leave it that way for some time.  Training early and often, and enjoy the wonderful breed.

• Gold Top Dog

I've yet to meet a GSD that isn't fine around other dogs.  There's no reason you shouldn't be able to have a GSD and another dog of ANY breed.  I have a very high drive, high energy, 100% working lines GSD and I have 3 cats.  There have been no problems.  She also loves children and is going to do pet therapy training and probably become a "reading dog" (you go to the library and each child picks a book to read to the dog, lol).  She is fine with most dogs except ones that are too pushy and happen to be a lot larger than her, but even that could easily be overcome with more training and socialization.  There are great danes in my current training class and several that come before/after our sessions and she walks right past them. 

However, temperament and energy level will ultimately depend on the individual dog itself.  Kenya lived with an ethical, reputable breeder and was socialized and trained from puppyhood (the breeder owns a training facility).  She was raised to be calm in the house and thus the ONLY thing she has ever put in her mouth that I haven't given her was a broken plastic hanger that she broke into pieces b/c I had hid her rawhide bone.  From day one I could leave her out in the home all day and nothing has been hidden, chewed, or damaged.  My CATS are far worse, lol!  She does not bark, jump, or mouth.  When she is training/performing/playing/working she is intense, but she has the on/off switch that makes a good working GSD a good working GSD.  IMO, there's no reason why even the most competitive working GSD should not be able to come inside with the family and rest like any other family companion dog, as long as they have the proper outlets for physical and mental stimulation.

Now, I knew that I didn't yet have the skills and experience to train and socialize a dog to be what Kenya is today, which I why I went with a trained adult from a reputable breeder.  I'm really not much of a puppy person and I do NOT believe that people who raise dogs as pups automatically have a stronger bond than those who obtain young adults.  Kenya and I bonded instantly and within 2 days she was ready for agility training and following me everywhere without a leash.  To say I am very glad I went with an adult is the understatement of the century!!!  If in the future there are more dogs like her available, I could live happy without EVER getting a dog as a puppy. 

• Gold Top Dog

Join the Germanshepherds.com forums, for sure- they're great- and talk to folks. There are lots of reputable breeders on that board, not to mention tons of folks who do rescue. I think if you're planning to do anything perofrmanceish, a GSD is definately the way to go. There's a range within any of the 'types' of GSD too- while the Czech dogs are typically hard-working, hard-hitting dogs with really intense drive and excel in protection work, there are also individuals who make fantastic family pets and obedience dogs. (I'm hoping to get a pup from Eurosport in 5-6 years for obedience.)

• Gold Top Dog

Have you considered a shelter dog or a rescue?  I'm guessing you've gone that route before since you have a mixed breed already, so perhaps you are already "in" the local network?  The main reason I mention it is that you are interested in a large dog and large dogs simply languish in the shelters or even are in mortal danger just for their size, in shelters.

If you go with a foster-based group,  you'll be able to tell ahead of time what the personality of your dog is most likely to be.  Athletic, enthusiastic, couch potato, whatever you want.  As you've seen, with a pup you practically have to be an instant expert to pick out the right dog for you, with a breed as varied as the GSD (Border Collies are the same way, as are many other breeds that are still close to their working roots).

• Puppy
    German Shepherds are great! I have two that are great family pets. I got my male from a backyard breeder (bad, bad, believe me I've learned my lesson). He's great but has health issues that I would not have had to deal with had I done more research before bringing him home. I also did not socialize him enough when he was young, so although he is great at home, he's not reliable around dogs he doesn't know, (although he's fine at the vet!). I learned my lesson and my second was a rescue I brought home as a puppy and she has been well socialized and been to a series of puppy and obedience classes. The differences are amazing, she is much calmer, more well behaved and is a pleasure to take on outings. That would be my biggest piece of advice, socialize, socialize, socialize. If you train him right, your GSD will be a loving member of your family. Good luck!
    • Gold Top Dog

I love both breeds! But can only speak about GSDs. And really, it's all been said. Research, reputable breeder, temperament, stimulation and research again! LOL I never knew such a dog existed until I had one in my home. I think they're are the best thing since sliced bread. I'm constantly and incredibly amazed at the intelligence, sweetness and personality of my 2 GSDs. I am in awe.

Good luck on your search!  

• Gold Top Dog

Thank you for all the help and information. I'm in a toss up between a husky or a GSD. Or maybe both. Lol. I've never owned either breed before. I've only ever had Lab mutts. Either way I go, it'll be a learning experience. I know for sure that my BF is buying a Great Dane in the future. I'm the only one with a hang up. Lol. I can't choose!! 

• Gold Top Dog

IMO, besides looks and energy level, GSDs and huskies are almost polar opposites! 

• Silver
    I just read thru your posts...didn't see anything about GDs!!!!! We have had 2. We are on our 2nd. In any breed you get, PLEASE reasearch. You want to find a breeder who cares about their animals and can answer your questions...any time. German Shepards are wonderful companions. So are Great Danes. They are big and loving, loyal and great with other dogs, people and kids. People tend to shy away from them because of their size. They grow fast and training is important. At 3mo and 60lbs you don't want your dog to be dragging you! They have wonderful personalities and no, they won't eat you out of house and home. If you are interested, there are plenty of us here who can help you out with any questions regarding them. : D
    • Gold Top Dog

Every GD I've ever met has been a gentle giant. I've even had 2 walk up and stick their head in my truck window to say hi to my dog in the back. Scared the bejeezes outta me but Maze enjoyed it. Now with a breed that size, is there any major health problems I should get checked before I get a puppy?