German Shepards and Great Danes

• Gold Top Dog

oranges81

Every GD I've ever met has been a gentle giant. I've even had 2 walk up and stick their head in my truck window to say hi to my dog in the back. Scared the bejeezes outta me but Maze enjoyed it. Now with a breed that size, is there any major health problems I should get checked before I get a puppy?  

I'm guessing with a breed that size there could be heart problems (maybe want cardiac OFAs done).  I'm not sure what other specific problems they have, but I know they don't live nearly as long as other breeds, due to their size. 

• Silver
    Any breed can have health issues...sometimes more than your average mutt. The things to watch for in large breeds are hip displasia, torsion (also known as stomach flipping, or bloat), and heart conditions. Sounds like a lot but it really isn't. The most serious is bloat. Bloat is deadly if not caught in time and can be attributed to a lot of activity after eating. Everything in the stomach gets tossed around and the stomach twists. Large breeds also grow faster. You can literally see a difference from morning to night! You don't say where you are from but I can give you the name of a breeder for GDs in NY. They are wonderful and will gladly answer any questions you may have. Their GDs are blues and blacks. The place is called Country Run (http://www.countryrun.com/). Vinnie or Darlene would be the two people to talk with. KC is our 2nd and it has been amazing to watch her transformation from crazy puppy to attentive young adult. The health issues listed usually don't show until later in life. A Dane's life span can be 6-10yrs depending on the line. Any puppy you get (GD) should be healthy, curious and gentle in temperment. Some breeders may provide gurantees for their pups for a certain amount of time (usually from puppy to adulthood). Basically, if any major medical problems arise the breeder may offer compensation. A good breeder stands by their line. When we have had any questions regarding KC, they have been wonderful. When we took her to our vet for her shots (next set as the breeder had already given her first ones) we had forgotten her immunization records. We called them and they gave us the information over the phone. They have been available when we've had questions and they have never left us feeling like-you bought it now it's your problem. Please let us know if you have more questions....happy to help.
    • Gold Top Dog

Great Danes are cool dogs, but they just don't live long enough! Between a husky and a GSD, the shepherd wins, hands down. No offense to lovers of the Northern breeds, but GSDs are going to be much easier because they tend to be velcro dogs and huskies can be very independent. I've had GSDs for 21 years, and would never own another breed. I simply adore them! Mine are extremely smart, very biddable and easy to train, very dog friendly and social, and they ADORE people! 

They can go through a rather long destructive chewing phase, although my two current dogs really are not bad chewers and never were, and they MUST be trained, but if you are willing to put in the work while they're young you'll have the best dog ever!

• Gold Top Dog

Cassidys Mom
    They can go through a rather long destructive chewing phase

I wish I had known this yesterday! LOL Jaia never chewed a THING he wasn't supposed to! But I learned yesterday that B'asia doesn't have the same resolve. She's 9 months old and the corner of my tea cabinet is destroyed! LOL I didn't expect that of a 9 month old...  

• Gold Top Dog

Hmmmmm, perhaps I should warn you then that once they start commiting stufficide, furniture is no longer safe.  Almost brand new LaZBoy wall hugger recliner and a sofa here.............

• Gold Top Dog

glenmar
    Almost brand new LaZBoy wall hugger recliner and a sofa here..

Surprise Get out of here! Thanks for the warning! LOL

• Gold Top Dog

Guess that they looked like oversized stuffies?  My cockers NEVER ate furniture.......the recliner was history, but fortunately I do know how to reupholster so I was able to redo the sofa.  But it's a LONG pillowback and was a MAJOR challenge.

• Gold Top Dog

I'm from BC, Canada but I'll check out that site you gave me for NY. Depending on where I am when the time comes, I'll even head to NY to get a well bred dog. I read up on the bloat problem, never knew it could be that bad. Learn something new everyday. I'm not really looking for a velcro dog when I get my breed. I want something that has a mind of it's own yet I can train as well. If that makes any sense at all.

All my lab puppies went thru a major chewing phase, I lost 2 sofa's, 2 pairs of shoes and I've got a hole in the side of my chair, and a corner of my bed is missing. Lol

• Gold Top Dog

FourIsCompany

Cassidys Mom
    They can go through a rather long destructive chewing phase

I wish I had known this yesterday! LOL Jaia never chewed a THING he wasn't supposed to! But I learned yesterday that B'asia doesn't have the same resolve. She's 9 months old and the corner of my tea cabinet is destroyed! LOL I didn't expect that of a 9 month old...  

B'asia's only 9 months old?? Jeez! She doesn't look like! I would have guessed her at 1 maybe 2. But then again I'm used to my dogs who's feature's stop aging at 6 months.. Lol 

• Gold Top Dog

A well bred gsd is going to be an independent thinker.  Remember, they were bred to do a job all day long with no "help" from humans.

The bloat concern goes for any large, deep chested breed and that includes Danes.

• Gold Top Dog

oranges81
    I'm not really looking for a velcro dog when I get my breed. I want something that has a mind of it's own yet I can train as well. If that makes any sense at all.

Makes a lot of sense, but I didn't mean that in the way that I think you interpreted it. As Glenda said, gsds are independent thinkers - but they want to be with you all the time, always "up your butt". I like that in my dogs. They care about where I am and what I'm up to vs some breeds that are not as intensely bonded to their owners.

• Gold Top Dog

I admit that sometimes I feel like the Pied Piper, BUT, I do have six gsds......

When all six are in the house and hanging around, then there seems to be a bit more competition for Mom....and if I get up or even move in my chair, all attention is on me.  However, when it's just 3 at a time, I become rather boring I guess.

The typical scenerio around here is that I doze off in my chair at nite.  At some point, DH goes to bed.  Sheba goes in and snuggles with him until she figures he's asleep and then comes back to the livingroom and stays there until I go to bed.  Typically when I wake up all three dogs are out there with me and when I hit the bathroom, they head to the bedroom.  When I get UP in the morning, generally all three are someplace in the office with me, but if not, it's always Thor with the other two out on the sofa.

So, three or less, no one's sharing space with the hemmoroids.  Three or more, well, it gets a bit crowded.

• Gold Top Dog

Cassidys Mom
    They care about where I am and what I'm up to vs some breeds that are not as intensely bonded to their owners.

You know what I've seen lately? If something is making noise outside, B'asia will go outside to check it out and Jaia will come over to me and sit down facing away from me and look in the direction of the door. It's like they're working together to make sure I'm protected! And Jaia ain't movin! Whatever's out there, if it makes it through B'asia, it's gotta get through him before it can get me!

I love a parade! I call them my entourage. LOL

• Gold Top Dog

Too funny Carla! Mine vary in "up your buttness". Wink Dena is fine hanging out in the hallway outside a room we're in, Keefer is either RIGHT THERE with me, such as in the middle of the kitchen floor while I'm cooking, or he's in the doorway with one eye on me, such as when I'm in the bathroom getting ready for work in the morning. If I leave a room, he's right behind me, ALWAYS. Yep, if he could find a way to actually crawl up my butt, he would, lol!

• Silver
    GDs are independent thinkers and they are very family oriented. Training is key! They get big fast. They are playful and don't know their size. I think they think they are small dogs. They are "lap" dogs. They sit on your lap, couch, chairs....anything with a good cushion. They are big leaners too. So, when they lean into you, try to make sure you have a wall behind you for support! : D KC is our first puppy. She was an aggressive chewer but she did not chew furniture (stuffed or other). She did however love to tear apart her blankets and toys (stuffed or other) She'd also eat them if you weren't watching her carefully. I don't know if the chewing thing is characteristic of the breed. She has since grown out of it and loves her plush toys. She also loves her old leash...to play tug of war with. GD's are also very sensitive and they learn fast. They will, as with any dog, test your limits. I remember one time we had blocked off the hall with chairs. We did this at night so she would not wander the house without our knowing. Well, she did figure out a way to climb over them very quietly...get into something and make it back without us knowing. We'd find out in the morning of course but by then she was where she was supposed to be. They are thinkers/problem solvers. You can watch them put things together. Our last Dane, Montana, liked to bite at the waves. We lived on a lake at the time. He figured out that when the boats went by, the waves got bigger and were easier to bite. He'd watch for the boats and the waves coming in. Danes are not water dogs...unless you get them used to it as a puppy and then I think it might be a personality thing. KC loves the beach and ocean. She'll go in up to her chest and chase the waves. Bring her to a pond and she wants nothing to do with it. Danes also go thru fear stages. They can see a rock in your yard and be ok with it and one day it'll freak them out. Don't encourage the behavior with a soothing voice or coddle them. Encourage them to check it out and bring them over to it. Then praise them for it. Danes should not be fearful. Cautious but not fearful. One last thing. Well 2. Danes do not eat you out of house and home. Their food intake will match their activity level. KC eats 4 cups a day, give or take. She eats when she's hungry so she may or may not finish everything in her dish. 2nd, We lived in a small cottage on the lake with our last dane. About 500sq feet or so. He was content in that space. You don't necessarily need a large area for them but you do want to walk/run them regularly. They will do whatever you like to do. KC likes to hike. Montana liked to watch TV. He was a couch potato when he wasn't hiking! Would love to include some pics with the message but I don't know how....If anyone does.... We have some new pics on our page (will have shortly) of KC at the beach & with my inlaws GS pup.