Italian Greyhound or Whippet

• Silver

Italian Greyhound or Whippet

I'm interested in getting an Italian Greyhound sometime. Anyone own or know one? I don't have the room for a Greyhound but I have a perfect yard for an Italian Greyhound.

I'm also interested in Whippet's. Anyone own or know one?

Pro's and con's of both breeds would be appreciated!

• Gold Top Dog

I don't know anyone with a Whippet, but several friends have "Iggy"s or Italian greyhounds and they are adorable and sweet and most I've met are a bit "timid" or seem so, anyway. Not to the point of being a problem, they just don't seem to be a very "substantial" or confident dog to me. Of course, that's comparing to my dogs. Stick out tongue

About Iggys 

I wonder why you say you don't have room for a Greyhound. Because they do well in apartments and many people mistakenly think they need lots of exercise. They don't. If it's a Greyhound you're interested in, please read more about them and see if it might be the right dog for you after all. There are so many that need adopted.

Here's an adoption site's FAQ: Greyhounds 2 Go 

Can Greyhounds live in apartments or condos?

Yes Greyhounds can live in apartments and condos very comfortably. They have been living in kennels so the small spaces are comfortable for them. The only thing about living in apartments and some condos is that Greyhounds, like other dogs, have to be able to relieve themselves during the day. For Greyhounds that live in apartments and condos it is good for them to be able to get out for walks in the morning and evening.

I've known of people having them in Studio apartments in NYC and they do just great.  

I don't want to talk you out of an Iggy or a Whippet if that's what you want, but if you're thinking of those breeds as a "greyhound substitute", I would LOVE for you to reconsider a Greyhound. And Iggy or Whippet will have to come from a breeder. A greyhound will be a rescue. I fostered one for a year and he spent MOST of that time on the couch. I have known many and they are truly amazing dogs!

Good luck finding the animal that's right for you!  

This is Coda in his normal "graceful" state of repose:

• Gold Top Dog

OMG 4IC those pics are hysterical!

Yes, please consider a greyhound. We see a lot of them here in the city because they do make such excellent city dogs. They are quiet, calm, low-energy, friendly. A couple short trips to a fenced off-leash area for a few sprints along with normal daily walks you'd give any dog should do them just fine. Most of the whippets and IGs I've met seem more high strung than your average greyhound.

• Gold Top Dog

Iggys are notoriously hard to housebreak.  They are more fragile than most of the toy breeds because of their long limbs and thin bone structure.  They are smart and will have no problem countersurfing by just jumping on top of your counter.  They can be hyper, hyper, hyper.  They need their exercise, and they need a good amount of socialization.  Most of the people I know that have happy Iggies have them involved in agility, lure coursing or other performance events.

Whippets are wonderful dogs.  They too, can be hard to housebreak.  The downside of whippets is that they need to run, much more so than a greyhound.  They need to run daily.  They too are very smart, and will figure out how to solve problems for themselves.

Neither of these breeds can be let off lead in an unfenced area.

• Gold Top Dog

I was going to mention that about the housebreaking...that is a deal breaker for me.

• Silver

Actually, I've ALWAYS wanted a Greyhound. I still live with my parents. I haven't really read up on them much because I guess I just assumed all they liked to do was run. It's acutally been a childhood dream to breed them one day. I would love to adopt one. How are they with most kids? I know it depends upon them as an individual but as a group are they often good with them? One other thing...I have horses. Not at my house, I live in a neighborhood. I know the racers usually chase something...would they probably go after a horse? We have a miniature and a draft (haha). I know they can protect themselves so I'm not worried about the horses but I'd be worried about the dog getting kicked if he tried to chase them. Of course I could make him a pen out at the barn so I could still take it with me. Do they usually have alot of energy? My mom hates big dogs with tons of energy. lol. I don't mind them though. I'd love more information on them if you didn't mind!

• Silver
    • Gold Top Dog

-Freckles-
    It's acutally been a childhood dream to breed them one day.

You won't find any support on this as there are already way too many greyhounds bred. If you want to breed, please find another breed. Smile

-Freckles-
    One other thing...I have horses.

I think most greyhounds would love running with horses. They are sight hounds, so they prefer to "chase" animals much smaller. Or a lure. As far as kids, you'll want to make sure you get one that is kid safe. And they're aren't used to kids, having never been around them, but whatever dog you get, if you have kids, you have to teach them to respect each other. 

-Freckles-
    Do they usually have alot of energy?

No. They lie around 23 hours of the day. They do love to run, but after a sprint or two, they're the first to want to get back to the couch.

-Freckles-
    I'd love more information on them if you didn't mind!

If you google "greyhound adoption" you'll find TONS of information. And I suggest you do this. Read about pro-racing vs anti-racing just to get the full story. Really research the breed. Join a greyhound board and ask lots of questions. It's a different and wonderful world and there's lots of great people. You won't want to breed them after you educate yourself on the big picture of the greyhound world. But you will want to adopt.

A couple things:

They must ALWAYS be leashed or enclosed in a fence. They can't be left to run in a yard or even in the country. If they see a rabbit, they're gone and they go so fast and with such single mindedness, they may get lost before they decide to come home or run across a road with no concern of traffic.

If you adopt straight from the track, they won't know anything about being in a house, they may not be able to climb stairs and they may be frightened of the ceiling fan. All these things are easy to remedy, though.

To many, they are like Lays potato chips. You can't have just one. Wink

• Gold Top Dog

I have to say, the number of SHOW greyhounds bred each year is TINY- and if you were interested in that, it wouldn't necessarily be the end of the world- but the show greyhounds have a different look and personality to them.

JMHO.  

• Gold Top Dog

Pwca
    I have to say, the number of SHOW greyhounds bred each year is TINY

Oh, yeah! Sorry! I totally forgot about them. Stick out tongue 

I have been kinda stupid today. It must be a "Friday" thing... Sorry! Big Smile

• Silver

FourIsCompany

-Freckles-
    It's acutally been a childhood dream to breed them one day.

You won't find any support on this as there are already way too many greyhounds bred. If you want to breed, please find another breed. 

Yep, you're right. After researching on them I wouldn't breed them. I'd love to adopt 2 or 3 though! I think I've fallen in love with the breed!

Edited for spelling.

• Gold Top Dog
    Pwca

I have to say, the number of SHOW greyhounds bred each year is TINY- 

yes it is...they are lovely too IMO.

• Gold Top Dog

-Freckles-
    Yep, you're right. After researching on them I wouldn't breed them.

I just wanted to apologize for forgetting about show greyhounds. They are beautiful and few. I was just involved with retired racers, so that's the type I know.

Here's some info on the show dogs:

Greyhound Club of America 

ShowGreyhounds.com 

Beautiful Slideshow (Retired racers, I'm assuming)

• Gold Top Dog

retired racers make fabulous pets. I would LOVE to own one, but I have cats... and not all gh's are good with cats.

I would pick a gh over a whippet or iggy any day =]

some do develope seperation anxiety however, so I would look for one that has been fostered, to rule out that potential problem, unless someone is home most of the day.

• Gold Top Dog

Definitely find an organization that has experienced foster parents take the dogs off the track and have them live in a home for a few months.  As others have said, a grey right off the track has a lot of adjustment to do to live in a pet home--they've always lived with other dogs, they've always lived in kennels or crates, they've never been pets (I adopted an adult hound who'd never been a pet, had only been a working dog, and there are a lot of things that we take for granted that dogs just "know" about being pets, that really they don't if they've never been taught--like how to play, how to communicate with humans, etc). An experienced foster will help the dog adjust and be able to tell you all about the dog's individual personality, to help you find the dog who is a best fit for your lifestyle and your personality.