What are the popular breeds in your area?

• Gold Top Dog
    CentreAsian sheepherds I'm 100% sure that you haven't heard of this breed

is that not the same thing as a central asian ovtcharka?
    • Gold Top Dog
    In my apartment area I would say pit/boxer.  However, there are a lot of lab at the pound.  It is either because they are overpopulated or because people don't want them. :'(  Of course there are a lot of english bulldog because I'm from Georgia.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Where I live in Florida, there are more pitbulls than you can count. They are in the shelters, up for sale on craigslist, on Petfinders, etc. It is really sad. Every time I see one, it is always a guy in their 20s. I have yet to see one with a woman or anyone who looks over the age of 27. I always hope that they got them for the right reasons, not the wrong ones.
    • Puppy
    Poodles and Pomeranians and Lhasas are really popular in my little community. Provided, there's a lot of older ladies here with a passion for the toy breeds.

Larger dogs, I tend to see a lot of hounds, as I'm near many fields.
    • Puppy
    Assuming you consider their kind as a "breed", labradoodles are popular in Central Pennsylvania.

Louis J. Sheehan, Esquire
    • Gold Top Dog
    In my subdivision most everyone has small dogs, lots of shih tzus and bichons. As far as the city as a whole, I really have no idea. The shelters are full of lab/shepherd/pit mixes though.
    • Silver
    I live in TX, USA and the most popular dogs here are golden retrievers, poodles, and german shepards.
    • Gold Top Dog
    In Minnesota everyone seems to be a hunter and the hunting breeds are extremely popular.  Labs, GSPs, GLPs, all kinds of hounds and a suprising number of Elk and Deer Hounds.
    Because we have a chocolate lab and a GSP everyone assumes that we hunt but we don't.  We got the lab on the East Coast of the US where chocolates are pretty dominant and the GSP would have been a rescue since the girl that bred her dog, accidentally, didn't know what to do with the puppies.  Thankfully we had put out the word that we were looking for one and were put in contact with her.
    This is a really interesting thread - thanks for starting it!!!!
    • Bronze
    Labs, Pits, Boxers are all pretty popular around here. 
    • Gold Top Dog
    Huskies, Labs, GSDs, Pibbles.  Lots of northern dogs (go figure!), lots of medium size mixes. 
    • Bronze
    I live in San Diego, and we have lots of Yorkies, Chihuahuas, Labs.  
    • Silver
    9 out of 10 dogs I see when I go on a walk around my place are Pits...but I live in the city. When I go walking out in the country I very rarely see the same breed of dog twice.
    • Gold Top Dog
    schnauzers (mini), chiwawa's, pekinese, those tiny little fluff balls about the size of a chi, but with really long fluffy fur and mostly gold color (i can never remember what they are called), and of course huskies!

the husky part pisses me off every time. they are illegal here and while i don't support the dog size restrictions i think it is just idiotic to risk getting your dog taken away by buying a large breed. PLUS they are never properly taken care of. and it's super hot here in summer. i just feel abd for the poor dogs..
    • Puppy
    ORIGINAL: janetmichel3009

shose tiny little fluff balls about the size of a chi, but with really long fluffy fur and mostly gold color (i can never remember what they are called)

Pomeranians? [:)]
    • Gold Top Dog
    lol, yes!!! thanks..
    i'm not very breed savy...

also noticed there are more and more cocker spaniels around..