Hey GSD people!

• Silver

Hey GSD people!

My husband and I have always wanted a German Shepherd.  We've always had Labs. We currently have a male Lab and a male Sheltie.  My husband is definately partial to gun dogs but he, like me, has always had a soft spot for GSDs.  There are a couple of things that hold us back from getting one.  The main sticking point is the shedding.  I've heard that GSD shedding is legendary.  On a scale from 1 to 10, 1 being a hairless dog and 10 being the worst imaginable, just how bad is it?  Keep in mind we have a Lab and a Sheltie, both world class shedders, and two medium to long hair cats so we understand shedding.

My husband was at a friend's house recently and visited with their GSD who we adore.  He commented that hair was flying everywhere when he was petting her.  Is there any difference in shedding with the genders?  We would probably get a female since we already have two males.  I don't know if putting a male GSD with our other two males would be a good idea even though are two are neutered and the GSD would be as well.  I know with Shelties, I was told neutered males and spayed females shed less and blow coat less often than intact ones.  My Sheltie is a neutered male and he does shed less than I expected him too but I also keep him brushed and groomed.

Well anyway, I'm not ready to run out and get a GSD but I'd love to hear your comments on the shedding thing.
    • Gold Top Dog
    My GSD sheds, but not so bad that when you pet him hair flies off! I can see his hairs on the carpet and on my bed. I've had a beagle, jack russells, and a lab that shed way worse than Kaiser. Kaiser has about a medium length coat. I have babysat for 3 GSDs whose coats were not as nice as Kaiser's and they felt kinda gross to the touch, and they shed a bit more...they also ate pedigree. I think if you haev a good quality dog food and an undercoat rake you will be fine!
    • Silver
    ORIGINAL: RidgebackGermansShep

My GSD sheds, but not so bad that when you pet him hair flies off! I can see his hairs on the carpet and on my bed. I've had a beagle, jack russells, and a lab that shed way worse than Kaiser. Kaiser has about a medium length coat. I have babysat for 3 GSDs whose coats were not as nice as Kaiser's and they felt kinda gross to the touch, and they shed a bit more...they also ate pedigree. I think if you haev a good quality dog food and an undercoat rake you will be fine!

Yeah that makes sense.  Although we think the world of her owners, there's honestly no telling what they feed that poor dog.  I would be shocked if they were feeding her anything worth a darn.

If a good brushing will keep it at bay, I can deal with that.  Like I said, I already have a Sheltie, a Lab and two cats and I didn't mention my two horse so hair is my life but I also don't want to get in over my head.  My husband already complains we don't have a square inch of fabric within our house that is free of pet hair!  He also found a dog hair (choc. Lab hair - his dog) in the butter one night.  Oops! [sm=lol.gif]
    • Gold Top Dog

His coat looks stunning!  What do you feed that boy?

Shelties, GSDs are a double coated breed so they are going to shed a lot.  I don't have mine quite yet so I cannot comment with authority, but my guess is that if you use a good quality food to avoid allergies, dandruff, and a lackluster coat and brush the dog routinely, the shedding will be manageable.  GSDs also come in different coat lengths and coat types, though I don't know enough to comment on how this might affect shedding.
    • Gold Top Dog
    i feed canidae. It's fairly cheap...$39 for a 40# bag. I really really liked innova evo for him, but it was way too expensive! He also rarely gets a bath...i'm not gonna lie it's like every other month!
    • Gold Top Dog
    Well, on a scale of 1-10 for Shedding, I put the GSD at 6 or 7.  However, a lot of this depends on the dogs line and coat type.  You'll always be brushing because topcoat is always coming off, however, coatblow I've noticed is very different between the lines.

With my West German male, I have no idea he's blowing coat until I take an undercoat rake to him.  With my half and half dog (German/American) he tufts a little bit when he's blowing.  With the East German/Czech dogs I've seen, they end up looking like they have a lumpy body suit on, as they tuft pretty heavily when they're blowing.

My Shepherds are brushed daily with a combination of a pin brush, slicker, and shedding blade.

Out of curiosity, do you have any idea of what line of GSD you want to go with?
    • Silver
    ORIGINAL: Xeph

Out of curiosity, do you have any idea of what line of GSD you want to go with?

I'm very glad you asked because I'm very confused about the different lines.  And I'm assuming when you say line you're refering to West German, Czech, etc.  I can hold my own in a discussion of the difference in English, American and Canadian Labs but I'm clueless about GSDs.

I can tell you that I like the bigger dogs.  Our friend's female is very tall but I think they got her from a backyard breeder.  I don't like they way the dogs in the show ring look when they travel.  I like the ones with more "normal" gaits and don't look like they can't decide whether to sit or stand.  I know that's how they're bred but I've seen dogs that don't walk that way.  I don't like the roach backs either. I know I'm too picky.  I want a good temperment too. 

I met a lady at a dog show who had a beautiful dog.  He caught my eye immediately because he was HUGE.  He was very tall and had a huge head.  He was very intimidating in appearance.  She said it was o.k. for me to visit and he was just a sweetheart.  I think she did obedience with him.  I asked where she got him and she said she imported him from Germany.  I should have asked more questions because he was my ideal dog.  Maybe I'll run across them again!
    • Gold Top Dog
    I'm very glad you asked because I'm very confused about the different lines.  And I'm assuming when you say line you're refering to West German, Czech, etc.  I can hold my own in a discussion of the difference in English, American and Canadian Labs but I'm clueless about GSDs.

That's what I'm referring to.

Our friend's female is very tall but I think they got her from a backyard breeder.

As per the standard, a bitch should not exceed 24" at the withers.  A male should not exceed 26" (in the SV standard I believe they're a quarter inch lower in the allowed height, AND exceeding that height is a DQ).

I like the ones with more "normal" gaits and don't look like they can't decide whether to sit or stand.

Those would be the DDR/East German and Czech dogs, however they may not be right for you unless you're active and extremely diligent in training,  My own males are German crosses.  One 3/4 West German 1/4 American, the other a half and half.  I have owned a 100% Amline as well and the difference in temperament was astounding.

I want a dog I can both show and work, but finding the right style can be quite difficult.  In the grand scheme of things I would rather have something that can work as opposed to something that just looks pretty, but if I don't like lookin' at it, I can't live with it either.  Aesthetics is part of the package.

I've seen some GREAT working dogs, but I will admit I couldn't get past how ugly those particular ones were.  I couldn't live with a dog I hated to look at.  It skews the relationship (anybody who says looks don't matter is either lying, or high, lol).
    • Gold Top Dog
    Xeph, do you have any links for good breeders of American dogs that would make good companions?  Are you saying the American dogs in general have better temperaments as companions?  I have styles and coat patterns I prefer (mainly dark sable Czech dogs), but since I'm not active in conformation or any sort of "work" like you are, I know it would be unfair to the dog for me to pick based on looks.  Actually, Chopper would have been one of the last dogs I would've picked, if I had only picked based on looks.  Basically, as long as the dog has enough black on it, I will fall in love no matter what!  (I don't like GSDs that have no saddle and/or too little black on their face).
    • Gold Top Dog
    Xeph, do you have any links for good breeders of American dogs that would make good companions?

That I do :-)

[linkhttp://www.victorygermanshepherds.com]Victory German Shepherds[/link] - Kathy and Ken Tank.  Likely where my next American Line dog will come from...haven't decided yet.  We have many talks online, and she's a sweet person as well

[linkhttp://www.candiasgsd.com/]Candia Shepherds[/link] - Candy Zumwult.  This is the woman I was going to purchase Sadie (the black and tan bitch in the other thread).  I roomed with her at the GSD Nationals in '06 and I would NOT hesitate to purchase from her!  She is sweet, she is knowledgeable, she is supportive she has nice dogs that aren't extreme.  She is just an all around GREAT lady!!!!

[linkhttp://www.tsalishepherds.com/]Tsali Shepherds[/link] - Suzanne Kapp.  She is the one that owns BIS BISS Ch Adelgard's Yancy D von Marquin HIC CGC HT PT RA CD TC BH (That's right, BH).  She also has Aussies.  She is extremely active in GSDs and is ALL about the working aspect as well as the show aspect.  She wants a GSD that can win in the show ring and win in the performance ring, and this crosses over into ALL her dogs, not just one.  I met Yancy personally at the Nationals that year, and he was one HUNK of a dog!  Correct in temperament, aloof but accepting, discerning, quiet, all male, nicely put together.  Suzanne is a lovely lady as well :-)

Are you saying the American dogs in general have better temperaments as companions?

No.  When I recommend a line to somebody (and please keep in mind I don't know everything, I'm still a beginner, I just study carefully), what I am thinking about is activity level. 

A German Shepherd Dog as a whole should be able to do any task you request it to do, including being "just a pet" and lounging on the couch.  However, that is the thought process of an idealist, not a realist.  The reality of it is if you're somebody who sits on the couch all day and has no real intention of getting your butt up off said couch, I wouldn't recommend a Czech dog.  That's just cruel xD

I'm not saying American dogs don't require exercise and mental stimulation, because they do, but the degree to which they require it is substantially different from an East German, Czech, or West German dog.

Basically, as long as the dog has enough black on it, I will fall in love no matter what!  (I don't like GSDs that have no saddle and/or too little black on their face).

That's poor pigment, and is actually a fault as per the standard xD

ETA:

I can tell you that I like the bigger dogs.

I only touched on the surface of this before, but wanted to add to it.  "Big" is all a matter of perspective.  My Old Man, Ranger, is 25 3/4" at the withers, the top end of the standard, however, he is not "big".  To me, big = substance (How much body/bone the dog has).  To others, "big" means tall.

My young male, Strauss, is "big".  He's also tall (out of standard by an inch), but quite frankly, even if he were 4 inches shorter (making him SHORT for a male GSD), his substance would make him appear large.

Czech line males seem to be 24/25" tall, but they've got a LOT of body and a LOT of bone.  They also don't have a lot of leg and can be a little long, which makes them low stationed, so they appear to be short, but they are still big.

East Germans tend to be more square, so they appear taller than they really are.  They also have a lot of bone and substance (though not quite like the Czechs).

The West Germans are stacked so they appear short in loin (which is why some look so terribly roached...lots aren't nearly as bad as they appear in stack) and long in leg, so they look taller than they really are when in actuality their proportions are ok.

Follow?

Clear as mud right? xD
    • Gold Top Dog
    Thanks, I'll bookmark those links.  I'm thinking down the road if we were to ever have kids...best not to start getting into more serious dog sports at this point in my life, that's something I'd be more interested in persuing once I have a decade or two's experience under my belt and don't have to focus as hard on career and family.  I can't picture myself not having a German Shepherd, but I can adjust my preferences based on what's best for everyone, and I don't think a super high energy and drivey dog would be a good choice for me.
    • Gold Top Dog
    If you want to make it very simple look for somebody that breeds German Showline. Assuming you deal with a reputable breeder you will get a healthy dog, nice structure, rich pigmentation, the ability to work yet a manageable drive. For a first time owner it`s a safer bet.
    • Silver
    ORIGINAL: Xeph

I can tell you that I like the bigger dogs.

I only touched on the surface of this before, but wanted to add to it.  "Big" is all a matter of perspective.  My Old Man, Ranger, is 25 3/4" at the withers, the top end of the standard, however, he is not "big".  To me, big = substance (How much body/bone the dog has).  To others, "big" means tall.

My young male, Strauss, is "big".  He's also tall (out of standard by an inch), but quite frankly, even if he were 4 inches shorter (making him SHORT for a male GSD), his substance would make him appear large.

Czech line males seem to be 24/25" tall, but they've got a LOT of body and a LOT of bone.  They also don't have a lot of leg and can be a little long, which makes them low stationed, so they appear to be short, but they are still big.

East Germans tend to be more square, so they appear taller than they really are.  They also have a lot of bone and substance (though not quite like the Czechs).

The West Germans are stacked so they appear short in loin (which is why some look so terribly roached...lots aren't nearly as bad as they appear in stack) and long in leg, so they look taller than they really are when in actuality their proportions are ok.

Follow?

Clear as mud right? xD

Yeah, clear as mud!  I do appreciate all the info you've given me.  I guess I should have said I prefer dogs on the taller end of the standard (& over) but I also like a dog with substance.  I didn't mean to sound so hung up on looks.  Temperment and health are actually more important to me.

Speaking of temperment, what is the difference in temperment between the different lines?  I have no problem being the leader but I don't want a dog that is going to constantly challenge me for that position.  That's exhausting.  Just the fact that's it's a GSD is intimidating enough for most people.  I also like to travel with my dogs whether it's to the mountains for a long weekend or just up to the grocery store and back.  I expect them to have good manners in public and get along with our families and their dogs who are frequently along for the ride as well when we go to the mountains.  We're just one big happy dog loving family!

You commented about activity level earlier and I admit, I don't run 8 miles a day.  I don't even run to my mailbox.  We live on a ten acre mini farm with our other two dogs, our cats and our two horses.  We are active outdoors and by this I mean we spend alot of time outside doing whatever needs to be done to keep up our little farm (which is alot).  Our dogs are allowed to run around free and do as they please as long as we're outside with them and stay within a reasonable distance.  They are taught that from day one along with obedience basics.  They play and wrestle, chase critters and nap in the sunshine.  We take them for walks/runs around the property and play fetch with them. When we are away at work or whatever, they have a big, fenced in backyard and a large screened porch complete with two sofas, dog beds and ceiling fans they enjoy along with a bucket full of toys to relieve boredom when they're not keeping the yard clear of squirrels.  When we're home and not outside, they're in the house with us snoozing on their dog bed or sofa while we watch t.v. and they sleep inside at night.  They have a pretty good life but I don't know if it's active enough for one of the dogs you mentioned.

Also, is there a difference in temperment between males and females?  I'm leaning towards a female, if we get one, since we already have two male (neutered) dogs.
    • Gold Top Dog
    That's poor pigment, and is actually a fault as per the standard xD

Is this poor enough?  I don't like it when they ONLY have black on the muzzle:

^ that is an Alta Tollhaus dog, but I dunno, she looks kinda weird and I don't like how there's an outline of black around her mouth

Too pale!

I like all these ones (these are just random ones from Google) because they have black muzzles and more black on their faces too:

That said, my Chopper doesn't have a very dark face [:(] [;)]

• Silver
    ORIGINAL: hdkutz

If you want to make it very simple look for somebody that breeds German Showline. Assuming you deal with a reputable breeder you will get a healthy dog, nice structure, rich pigmentation, the ability to work yet a manageable drive. For a first time owner it`s a safer bet.

I will check in the German showline when and if we decide to move forward.  And I will only deal with reputable breeders.  I think it's very  important with any breed of dog but especially with a powerful breed like a GSD.  I would want to make sure I got the right dog for our household and our lifestyle.  I've already had a good experience when looking for my Sheltie.  The breeder steered me towards a puppy that he thought was best suited for me even though it was not the puppy I originally wanted.  He turned out to be the perfect dog for me and proof that a good breeder in very valuable in more ways than one.

Hey - I like that dog in your picture with the motorcycle.  Can I just have it? [sm=biggrin.gif]