German Shepherds

• Gold Top Dog
    If you are looking for just a pet, get a rescue! 

i agree there. but for those wanting more in a shepherd than just pet quality will probably seek a high standard breeder.
    thats not to say you wont find a high standard GSD at a rescue. most people who dump their pets dont know just
    what a treasure their dog really is. they say its high strung, stubborn, etc.... it probably has a mind of its own and probably
    a higher IQ than the owner.
    if you want a pet then look for a pet breed or an older more mature dog that needs rescuing.
    • Gold Top Dog
    i agree there. but for those wanting more in a shepherd than just pet quality will probably seek a high standard breeder.
    thats not to say you wont find a high standard GSD at a rescue. most people who dump their pets dont know just
    what a treasure their dog really is. they say its high strung, stubborn, etc.... it probably has a mind of its own and probably
    a higher IQ than the owner.
    if you want a pet then look for a pet breed or an older more mature dog that needs rescuing.

In my experience, a GSD does not in most cases reach it's potential until after about 2 years and above........most younger dogs are just too hyper, what I call the "Whiny, Yippy Stage", most folks don't know how to deal with that, and usually want to give up on the dog.
    • Gold Top Dog
    most younger dogs are just too hyper, what I call the "Whiny, Yippy Stage", most folks don't know how to deal with that, and usually want to give up on the dog.

i never had problems with mine during that stage. i mean not enough of a problem to give them up.
    i know that stage is the best to either create good habbits or bad ones... but thats the case for most puppies and owners.
    it really just boils down to how dedicated of an owner you really want to be.
    • Bronze
    Can I say something??

I know I'm new and I'm not trying to cause a stir...

BUT..

IMO there is no reason to get a working line of ANY BREED if its just going to be a pet that goes on hikes or romps in the woods...
    • Gold Top Dog
    Jesika, some days i would agree with you. some days i wouldnt.
    there's also no reason to have AKC, or any club registry because the majority of the dogs in them are pets that dont even GET to go for hikes or romps in the woods.
    their life is strictly kennel to ring to bus to kennel to ring to bus until they are too old to show anymore.

but as one member put it, she wants a GSD as a hiking companion because the look alone is enough to terrify a wood be rapist hiding beside the trail.
    your average pound puppy rescue MIGHT protect you... but then again he might not. GSDs and other working breeds are well known for their tenacity in
    protecting a loved one. no, not ALL of them, but enough of them to make them legendary.
    • Bronze
    Of course and I understand that [:)] but is hiking enough to keep a "working" line dog mentally stimulated as ALOT of them need to be...thats all Im wondering

I know alot of high energy working breeds, that if they arent mentally stimulated enough will become destructive and could form many other behavorial issues if not give a specific job to do...
    • Gold Top Dog
    IMO there is no reason to get a working line of ANY BREED if its just going to be a pet that goes on hikes or romps in the woods...

I agree to an extent.  The extent being, where do you draw the line between "working breeds" and pets?  And what constitutes "work"?
    • Gold Top Dog
    Of course and I understand that [:)] but is hiking enough to keep a "working" line dog mentally stimulated as ALOT of them need to be...thats all Im wondering

Yes, it is.  Because a LOT goes on during a hike.  There are tons of smells, sounds, and terrain changes on a hike.  The dog takes all of this in.  Add a handler that will actually train or work a dog on the hike, and you have a happy dog.

A working line dog doesn't have to work per se, it just has to be kept physically and mentally stimulated.  If this weren't possible, you wouldn't see working line dogs in pet homes ever.  There are plenty of working lines that are "low drive" (compared to their litter mates), and do just fine in a home that is active.
    • Gold Top Dog
    There is something about the tone of this thread that bothers me on a personal level.  It seems a bit snobbish.

Personal opinion....it doesn't particularly matter what lines, what part of Germany, what anything, so long as the pup comes from an excellent breeder who tests for genetic problems.  My working line gsds are not all that different from my show line gsds in temperment or ability to "work" or train or in their driviness.

Since the OP wants a gsd to hike with her and to offer some level of protection, why does it matter?  Unless specifically trained, most dogs are not going to attack to protect the owner, IMHO, they may react to a perceived threat against themselves, but that's not quite the same.  Sheba bit a drunk who staggered and fell into me, BUT, she didn't like this guy, she feared this guy and I'm not so sure that she bit because of him falling into me as out of her own fear of him......

The appearance of the dog is generally enough to scare off the bad guys.  Because of the history of their usage as police dogs, etc, german shepherds DO have a bit of a stigma attached to them and for this particular poster, I think ANY german shepherd would be just fine.  My rough and rowdy gsds turn into little couch potatoes when they come in the house.....and they are from BOTH sorts of lines.....it's how they were trained that makes the difference.
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: Jesika

Can I say something??

BUT..

The more I read this thread, the more I don't want to read this thread.  Everyone is getting so snippity. (No, I don't know if that's a real word, but it is in my family lol).  I went back and reread my posts to try to determine what I had said to result in this debate.  I didn't mean to give the impression that this dog would only be sitting on my couch and enjoying the occasional hike or "romp in the woods."  I was just stating that that was something I enjoy doing and something I would like to enjoy with my dog.  I do not want a German Shepherd for the purpose of protecting me from potential rapists.  I hadn't even considered that.  I want to get involved in agility and obedience.  I also think flyball would be really fun and Sch. can be downright amazing.  I'd like to try Sch. but I don't have much experience with it, so I'd have to see how that goes.  I want a working German Shepherd because I've interacted with them and have found them amazing.  I've taken classes in animal behavior and learning and met the most amazing dogs ever.  I want a super active dog because I am a super active person!  I love the crazy drive of the working breeds.  I agree, it annoys me when people buy working breeds and expect them to sit on the couch ::cough::Border Collies::cough::  but that is not the home I am wanting to provide.  The more I've learned about dogs, and what I want out of a dog, the more I'm convinced that I will probably never again buy a conformation type dog.  Functionality is much more important to me than beauty.  I think it's horrible the things we've done to some breeds for the sake of beauty.  I do believe that in general, a working dog is a more sound dog.  I understand, and am glad, that there are a lot of responsible breeders out their who are making health more and more of a consideration when breeding and I commend their efforts.  Their efforts only improve the show lines. 

When I get my puppy.  I will tell them what I want out of the dog and let them help me make a decision.  They are the expert after all.  If this means that I get a less drivey working dog, then fine.  I'm not going to pretend I know everything about dogs.  And I do want a puppy, because I am very interested in animal behavior and would love to learn what I can get out of this dog. 

Sorry for the rant, I must be a little cranky.  I feel better now.  [:)]
    • Bronze
    ORIGINAL: papillon64

ORIGINAL: Jesika

Can I say something??

BUT..

The more I read this thread, the more I don't want to read this thread.  Everyone is getting so snippity. (No, I don't know if that's a real word, but it is in my family lol).  I went back and reread my posts to try to determine what I had said to result in this debate.  I didn't mean to give the impression that this dog would only be sitting on my couch and enjoying the occasional hike or "romp in the woods."  I was just stating that that was something I enjoy doing and something I would like to enjoy with my dog.  I do not want a German Shepherd for the purpose of protecting me from potential rapists.  I hadn't even considered that.  I want to get involved in agility and obedience.  I also think flyball would be really fun and Sch. can be downright amazing.  I'd like to try Sch. but I don't have much experience with it, so I'd have to see how that goes.  I want a working German Shepherd because I've interacted with them and have found them amazing.  I've taken classes in animal behavior and learning and met the most amazing dogs ever.  I want a super active dog because I am a super active person!  I love the crazy drive of the working breeds.  I agree,
     expect them to sit on the couch ::cough::Border Collies::cough::  but that is not the home I am wanting to provide.  The more I've learned about dogs, and what I want out of a dog, the more I'm convinced that I will probably never again buy a conformation type dog.  Functionality is much more important to me than beauty.  I think it's horrible the things we've done to some breeds for the sake of beauty.  I do believe that in general, a working dog is a more sound dog.  I understand, and am glad, that there are a lot of responsible breeders out their who are making health more and more of a consideration when breeding and I commend their efforts.  Their efforts only improve the show lines. 

When I get my puppy.  I will tell them what I want out of the dog and let them help me make a decision.  They are the expert after all.  If this means that I get a less drivey working dog, then fine.  I'm not going to pretend I know everything about dogs.  And I do want a puppy, because I am very interested in animal behavior and would love to learn what I can get out of this dog. 

Sorry for the rant, I must be a little cranky.  I feel better now.  [:)]

Sorry I guess I didnt read enough into, and I just made a generalization without even asking...so sorry [:)]
    • Gold Top Dog
    Did you look at any of those breeders I listed earlier by chance?
    • Gold Top Dog
    I love german shepherds, they are goofy, gorgeous dogs that would take a bullet for their owner. I couldn't love the breed more than a pit bull, but I do like them. A friend of mine had a gorgeous retired police GSD named Max Bricks and he was an awesome dog...really obedient and wouldn't disobey or miss one command she gave. He was such a sweet guy. As a matter of fact...speaking of German Shepherds..... my neighbor is looking for a home for her goofy guy, Steel. He will be going to the pound if nobody takes this gorgeous man!!! Please send an email to [email=ShamdAllen@netzero.com]ShamdAllen@netzero.com[/email] if you are interested, or if you have any questions at all.I attached a picture of him!
    • Gold Top Dog
    Where do you live, nea?
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: Xeph

Did you look at any of those breeders I listed earlier by chance?

Yes I did.  I must say that I was very impressed with all the breeders you listed and will have to get to know the kennels better.  I looked over their websites, and I especially liked Eurosport Kennels and Wildhaus Shepherds.  Eurosport had simply awesome dogs, and I was really impressed with how Wildhaus places it's puppies.  That's the kind of responsibility I appreciate in a breeder.  I also like the health guarantees of both kennels and how they only breed dogs of proven working ability.  I was very impressed that the pups from these kennels go through a socialization program because I think that is very important and can help prevent problems later in life.