German Shepherds

• Gold Top Dog

German Shepherds

I have always wanted a German Shepherd.  I am still a year or two away from being at a point where I could get one, but I am doing all the research I can.  First off, has anyone had any negative experiences with owning a German Shepherd and homeowner's insurance?  My dad works at an insurance company, and he says that German Shepherds are on their "Bad dog list" which increases insurance rates.  Also, can anyone recommend any breeders in Wisconsin or the surrounding states?  I want a working line dog, not the show type.  I would be happy with any dog that fit my lifestyle, but my dream is a black female (though I'd probably end up with more than one eventually [:D])  If anyone can give me any information about GSDs and their experience with them I would really appreciate it! 

Thanks!
    Erin
    • Gold Top Dog
    i havent got anything negative to say about them if you go for a working line, not to say that show lines are bad, but the health and hips are lacking in some.
    they are too popular meaning its going to be hard to find a good sound dog unless you want to pay a lot.
    you might find the one you want at a shelter or breed rescue, but it could take years to get the perfect dog for you.
    • Gold Top Dog
    This is where I'm getting Chop:

[linkhttp://www.24kgsd.com]www.24kgsd.com[/link]

I've heard good things about them from different people when they asked me where I was getting my dog from.  I haven't met my dog yet, but I've met four dogs from this breeder through her hooking me up with her friends. I'm not sure of the puppy prices though since Chop is free. [:D]

Xeph is probably a much better resource, but when I was looking at places I noticed that most of the kennels selling working dogs or police dogs had dark sables and all-black dogs.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Erin,

I live in Wisconsin as well, and depending on what line you want (American show, West German Show, East German Working, Czech) I can help you out and point you in the right direction.

It's almost 3 AM so I'm signing off, but please reply here or drop me a PM, and I'll be happy to see what I can do for you to get you started right :-)

ETA:
    I want a working line dog, not the show type.  I would be happy with any dog that fit my lifestyle, but my dream is a black female (though I'd probably end up with more than one eventually [:D])

Do you want East German/DDR, West German, or Czech?  They're all VERY different in drives and temperament, though you'll definitely find a black in all of the above.  Also, be aware that color shouldn't be your first priority (don't want to sound snide, but some people DO think color is everything, and that's a good way to end up with the WRONG dog!).

You sound like you're on the right track, and while I know you asked for WI and the surrounding states, I would still recommend you keep your mind open to perhaps shipping in a puppy from somewhere.

Some great kennels on the East and West coast are:

Molly Graf - Eichenluft - She owns 25x SchH III Eagle, who is 9 years old and STILL working hard, she is in Pennsylvania - I plan on buying my first Working line dog from her
    Kathy Moacanin - Herzensfreude - Located in California
    Chris Wild - Wildhaus Shepherds - Located in Michigan
    Lee Hough - Wolfstraum - I believe she's in Ohio, but I'm not positive
    Steve Miller - vom Haus Miller - Has show and working lines, in Spring Green, WI, I train with him (will be again once I have $$$ xD)
    Taunya and Josef Mravik - Eurosport Kennels - GREAT people, located in Texas, this is where my first Czech dog will come from.

If you go to the USA/SV/DVG websites you can also locate more workingline breeders.
    • Bronze
    Hi Erin-

If you are a camper, motorhomer, or want to take your dog on vacation, you might run into trouble.  My kennel will not take German Shepherds nor any breed of Pitt or Bull Terrior and many of the campgrounds we have tried to book will not allow them to stay either.  Both these breeds seem to have a bad reputation- however unfairly, it is a fact.

Good Luck!
    Laura
    • Gold Top Dog
    Wow, I've never had that issue.  Heck, on the (extremely rare) ocassions I go camping, the sites seem to welcome my Shepherds....less chance of "bad" happening is their reasoning.  Who wants to tangle with a GSD (they don't know that my one is incredibly friendly....the other is more...discerning in the company he keeps xD)?

As for homeowner insurance, my family has State Farm...they like people with dogs.   People with dogs are less likely to be burglarized, no matter what kind of dog, because a thief doesn't want the household up and about when their dog barks.  They want easy targets.

If a house isn't hit, insurance rates are kept down, and thus, doggy households = good.
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: Xeph

Do you want East German/DDR, West German, or Czech?  They're all VERY different in drives and temperament, though you'll definitely find a black in all of the above.  Also, be aware that color shouldn't be your first priority (don't want to sound snide, but some people DO think color is everything, and that's a good way to end up with the WRONG dog!).

I'm not sure what specific type yet.  I still need to do a lot more research into this.  Can you give me a basic idea of the traits that differentiate each?  I'm very much into the outdoors and like to go camping and do all types of outdoor activities, so I want a dog who would be right by my side through this, one who'll happily take a hike with me or jump in a lake.  I also want to get involved with agility and obedience.  I want a dog that is smart and active, but not necessarily hyperactive.  They also will have to be at least tolerant of kids because I have a lot of nieces and nephews.  I know a lot of this will just be based on the socialization I give the dog as a pup, but if there is one variety more suited than another, that's what I'll go for.  I probably won't end up doing any protection training, although it is pretty neat so maybe I'll change my mind about that at some point.   As for the point about German Shepherds being allowed in campgrounds, that is interesting.  Most campground I've stayed at have restrictions as to where a dog can go, but I've never seen any breed restrictions. 

Also, about the color.  Color is really the least important thing.  I'm just saying, if everything else were equal between two dogs, I'd pick the black one [;)]  I'm not one of those creepy people who pick a dog because they match their carpet!  (and yes, I have met people like this!)

As for the insurance, I have heard a lot of good things about State Farm, so maybe I'll just go there if they're dog friendly.  I suppose it's just something I'll have to ask about whenever I'm insurance shopping.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Can you give me a basic idea of the traits that differentiate each?

I don't know much about West German Working lines, so I can't help you there, but I can tell you that East German/DDR dogs tend to be higher in prey drive and lower in defense, while Czech dogs are the opposite (Low-Medium prey drive high defense).  Cezch dogs tend to be a little more "hard headed" and are slower to mature, while the East Germans are a bit more biddable and mature more quickly.

I'm very much into the outdoors and like to go camping and do all types of outdoor activities, so I want a dog who would be right by my side through this, one who'll happily take a hike with me or jump in a lake.

That's just a GSD in general!

They also will have to be at least tolerant of kids because I have a lot of nieces and nephews.

You said it yourself, but I'll reiterate that a dog raised with kids is a dog that is not only more likely to tolerate children, but LIKE them.  Strauss actively seeks out children.  He loves them.  Most of the time it's small kids that want to say hello to him, and quite often he is as tall (Or taller) than they are when he is SITTING.  More often than not I have him lay down for kids, but if they're unable to bend down to pet him (such as children in wheelchairs), I allow him to sit, and he kisses their face.  They love it ^_^

I know a lot of this will just be based on the socialization I give the dog as a pup, but if there is one variety more suited than another, that's what I'll go for

No "Flavor" of GSD is more particularly suited to liking kids than any other.  In terms of family life, sure, but GSDs as a general rule, tend to like/tolerate children, especially if raised with them.

I probably won't end up doing any protection training, although it is pretty neat so maybe I'll change my mind about that at some point.

If you're not positive about protection training, I would suggest going East German.  Any of the lines can acclaimate to a family lifestyle, but Czech dogs seem to be "high octane" as compared to the rest of the lines.  They need a more serious workout and job than the other dogs.

As for the point about German Shepherds being allowed in campgrounds, that is interesting.  Most campground I've stayed at have restrictions as to where a dog can go, but I've never seen any breed restrictions.

Where they can go, yes, but I have personally never run into any breed restrictions (though I've heard about them).  Wisconsin seems reasonably dog friendly in that aspect.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I have a 2 year old male black GSD, and 50% of people i talk to think he's a lab/gsd mix. If you felt comfortable lying to the insurance company, and you got a black one, you could say she was a lab mix. I think there are plenty of insurance companies that don't have restrictions on GSDs.

If you love camping and hiking, a GSd will be great for you! they are amazing pets for active people! Kaiser is the best dog i've ever had. easy to train, well behaved, sweet, and energetic! He's a horrible watch dog though...
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: [email=laura@westernsem.edu]laura@westernsem.edu[/email]

Hi Erin-

If you are a camper, motorhomer, or want to take your dog on vacation, you might run into trouble.  My kennel will not take German Shepherds nor any breed of Pitt or Bull Terrior and many of the campgrounds we have tried to book will not allow them to stay either.  Both these breeds seem to have a bad reputation- however unfairly, it is a fact.

Good Luck!
    Laura

Oh please. There is the rare and I mean rare occasion you run into breed discrimination with GSD`s but in 52 years I`ve encountered it maybe twice.
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: DumDog
    i havent got anything negative to say about them if you go for a working line, not to say that show lines are bad, but the health and hips are lacking in some.

It doesn`t have to be that confusing. You just want to stick with a dog who has the right pedigree and a breeder that knows their dogs, Whether German Showline or Workingline it all comes down to the breeder and you doing your homework. I`ve had both. In Germany they both have to meet the same standards to be breed worthy.
    Chris Wild isn`t far from you. She breeds workingline but could probably match you to a pup with less drive. I`ve seen Chris`s dogs in action and I`ve seen Mollie`s dogs at events. Don`t get caught up in the terminology, there are soft workinline dogs and hard showline dogs. Look at the pedigree, hips and elbow certs, check references and learn.

PS: I never owned Am Showline but after seeing dogs that came from Janry and Alkarah I wouldn`t totally rule them out.

2 are German showline and 1 is German workingline and they do well with my Grandson.

• Gold Top Dog
    that dog is HUGE!!!

anyway [:)] my point was to not just buy a GSD just because someone claims it is AKC registered.
    AKC titles dont mean anything to me. the breeder doesnt really mean anything to me. the dog and his health and his history mean a lot more to me. can he move, can he breath, can he do his job. can his parents do all those things as well.

genetic disorders can happen, but at the same time, you may not ever have a problem with one dog but his brother might be a walking medical disaster.
    but not to contradict you. i agree totally that you are improving your success of owning a good dog if you narrow your search down to a good breeder with a good reputation.
    • Gold Top Dog
    There is no purebred dog that is without some genetic faults in their lines. Your correct that AKC papers mean squat. If you buy from a breeder who`s breeding stock whether showline or working line is imported and is a reputable and knowledgeable breeder you increase your odds of a healthy sound dog. In very basic terms without getting too long winded in Germany before a dog can be bred it must pass health screening, hips etc, then a breed survey which shows it structurally sound and then at very least attain a Schutzhund 1 to prove ability, intelligence and soundness of nerves. After that it`s up to an experienced breeder to combine the right lines and dogs to attain his gaol. 
    • Gold Top Dog
    He is at the upper end of the standard in height and about 85 pounds.
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: hdkutz

There is no purebred dog that is without some genetic faults in their lines. Your correct that AKC papers mean squat. If you buy from a breeder who`s breeding stock whether showline or working line is imported and is a reputable and knowledgeable breeder you increase your odds of a healthy sound dog. In very basic terms without getting too long winded in Germany before a dog can be bred it must pass health screening, hips etc, then a breed survey which shows it structurally sound and then at very least attain a Schutzhund 1 to prove ability, intelligence and soundness of nerves. After that it`s up to an experienced breeder to combine the right lines and dogs to attain his gaol. 

is that their law in Germany or just an agreed upon practice? because i believe that is how it should be here in America with all working breeds.
    if it cant work, then ... why?
    of course i also believe that working breeds shouldnt be suburban house pets that rott in the backyard.... again, why?
    of course if you spend time with your dog, go for walks and play then great, you're at least stimulating his mind and giving him what he needs emotionally.... but .. ugh.. well you probably know what i'm getting at.
    to see a working dog not worked is like seeing thoroughbred horse hitched to the pony rides.
    but that's how i feel.