A good breed for my lifestyle...

• Silver
    Oh yeah, what about malteses and and yorkies?
    • Silver
    I have learned that because you get a pure bred dog, it doesent always fit the exact profile of the breed.  There are so many variables.   I would hang out with a dog for a while.  Maybe check into local foster agencies in your area, or hang at the shelter for a few weeks and see what develops. I wouldnt't limit my choices to a certain breed.  I believe there is no such thing as that "perfect" dog.  Just like people they have their good points and not so good.

Whatever dog you choose, or whatever dog chooses you,  it would be great for both your son and the dog to go for training.  Having the knowledge to control and train a dog is a real confidence booster, especially for teens.   It  teaches patience, assertiveness, etc.  It was a real rewarding experience for my teens.

Just my two cents, lots of luck to you and some lucky dog out there!!
    • Silver
    ORIGINAL: jovial

I have learned that because you get a pure bred dog, it doesent always fit the exact profile of the breed. There are so many variables. I would hang out with a dog for a while. Maybe check into local foster agencies in your area, or hang at the shelter for a few weeks and see what develops. I wouldnt't limit my choices to a certain breed. I believe there is no such thing as that "perfect" dog. Just like people they have their good points and not so good.

Whatever dog you choose, or whatever dog chooses you, it would be great for both your son and the dog to go for training. Having the knowledge to control and train a dog is a real confidence booster, especially for teens. It teaches patience, assertiveness, etc. It was a real rewarding experience for my teens.

Just my two cents, lots of luck to you and some lucky dog out there!!

Thanks. That's good advice.

One last thing. For those of you who have bealges, how much exercise do you give them a day?
    • Gold Top Dog
    I don't have a beagle, but they are very high-energy dogs. People get them thinking that because of their small size they are lap dogs. They are not. They are happy-go-lucky, nose-driven, obstinant, and very active.
    • Silver
    High energy isn't bad, I just don't want to give an hour walk everyday. Even if I just played fetch with it I would be fine. I'll just wait for a beagle owner. :)
    • Gold Top Dog
    High energy isn't bad, I just don't want to give an hour walk everyday. Even if I just played fetch with it I would be fine. I'll just wait for a beagle owner. :)

"High Energy" is more like a 1.5 hr daily walk/run minimum, plus some training time if needed, time in the yard, and games like fetch or other toys.  My uncle has a dog I describe as high energy.  She runs 4 miles every other day, walks with him or rides along in the car each day, hikes and duck hunts on weekends, and does a lot of playing in the yard or swimming in the lake.  Even then she'd be up for running a marathon.

I would consider a 1 hr walk daily to be the "norm" for dogs as far as exercise requirements.  I'd call that a normal energy level.  You'll want to find dogs with a really low energy level and dogs that are usually content just being with humans (not always doing stuff with humans.  Like a GSD wants to always be with humans, but you have to be doing stuff too).
    • Silver
    ORIGINAL: Liesje

"High Energy" is more like a 1.5 hr daily walk/run minimum, plus some training time if needed, time in the yard, and games like fetch or other toys. My uncle has a dog I describe as high energy. She runs 4 miles every other day, walks with him or rides along in the car each day, hikes and duck hunts on weekends, and does a lot of playing in the yard or swimming in the lake. Even then she'd be up for running a marathon.

I would consider a 1 hr walk daily to be the "norm" for dogs as far as exercise requirements. I'd call that a normal energy level. You'll want to find dogs with a really low energy level and dogs that are usually content just being with humans (not always doing stuff with humans. Like a GSD wants to always be with humans, but you have to be doing stuff too).

Oh I thought that high energy just meant excitable in the house. I suppose that the dachshund is my best choice then. I've been speaking with a lot of owners and they say I should be fine with one.
    • Silver
    Oh yeah one more question how much exercise do German Shepherds need?
    • Gold Top Dog
    A lot. And they need a lot of mental stimulation too. A bored german shepherd is not a dog you want around your house. They are oriented towards needing a job to do, and if you don't give them one, they'll make one up for themselves, and what they make up tends to be stuff that most humans don't really consider a good job.
    • Gold Top Dog

I am not a very active person.  I'm looking for a companion dog instead of a jogging partner dog. 
    English Toy Spaniel
    English Cocker Spaniel (my pick for you)
    Portuguese Water Dog (needs  a bit more exercise)
    Pug
    Havanese
    Mutt
    In my area we have very warm summers and very cold winters, so I need a dog that could tolerate those extremes.
    English Toy Spaniel
    Mutt

I am looking for a dog that would need the least amount of work.
    All dogs need training, especially if you get a puppy.  Your lifestyle, unless your child is pretty dedicated, sounds like "adult dog needed".

My house is in an area where fences are not allowed so I'd need a dog that would be okay with an electric fence.
    Any dog that is properly trained, can be contained in electric fence, although the more prey-driven dogs are not a good bet.  That would include Aussies, German Shepherds, Huskies and the like.
    Also, e-fences do not keep intruders out, so your dog is at risk for being attacked by coyotes, stolen, etc. unless you are still willing to be outside supervising while your dog is exercising - which they seldom do without you anyway. 
    English Cocker Spaniel
    Mutt

I have a family with a 13 year old in case that makes a difference in what breed.
    The breeds I mentioned are usually good with kids, but, again, any dog needs to have had training and socialization at an early age for that to hold true.

I would not opt for Pyrenees with a child, because they are a breed that should grow up with the child if they are to be truly safe.  These are a guardian breed, and quite lovely if you get a pup - but the dog may always consider your child's friends as intruders if not socialized to them early and often.  Sounds like more work than you want.
    If you get a pup, learn how to pick a responsible breeder - please...

As to Beagles, they can be loud, active, and a bit obstinate, although a happier dog you would not find:-))  Usually fine with other dogs, too.
    • Silver
    Oh and one more thing, how about a labrador retriever? I know someone who has one and they just let her out in the yard and she's happy and gets all her exercise. Could that possibly be a good choice?

Sorry for all these questions! And thanks!
    • Gold Top Dog
    Labs are one of the most high energy breeds there is. They are notorious for being happy, spastic, and totally go go go. They also have extremely long puppihoods. They display puppy behavior (VERY high energy, extreme chewing, lack of focus) until around 3 years of age. Not a good choice for a sedentary family. At all.

I really can not stress enough that what you are looking for is NOT a working breed. You want a companion breed.
    • Gold Top Dog
    If you like the "look" of the doxie, how about an adult basset hound from a rescue?  a much lower energy, easy maintenance dog. Just keep them on leash for walks. And yes, you must exercise your dog even if he'd rather sleep at your feet all day (like many older bassets). Going for a half an hour walk every day will be healthy for both of you.
    • Silver
    ORIGINAL: houndlove

Labs are one of the most high energy breeds there is. They are notorious for being happy, spastic, and totally go go go. They also have extremely long puppihoods. They display puppy behavior (VERY high energy, extreme chewing, lack of focus) until around 3 years of age. Not a good choice for a sedentary family. At all.

I really can not stress enough that what you are looking for is NOT a working breed. You want a companion breed.

Well no matter what we were going to get the dog at around 4-5 years old. The only problem is my son hates the way little dogs look! Oh I'm not sure if I said this, but my son is the one who really wants the dog, I'm considering a dog only if he says he'll do most of the work.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I'm considering a dog only if he says he'll do most of the work.

dont make assumptions on that. never ever get a dog just because your kid makes a promise. he's a child and doesnt know better. what if he DOESNT do most of the work? you teach him one of two lessons.
    1. if i dont work, the dog goes away, therefore an animal's life is expendable based on whether or not i feel up to the task.
    2. if i dont do what i promise then mom and dad will do it for me.

i agree with hound. and i will ALSO state my own opinion. if you want and MUST have a working breed then YOU need to suit the DOGS lifestyle. otherwise, please, dont get a dog at all. you will hate it eventually. working dogs must work. they have to. and just because a lab is 4 or 5 doesnt mean he'll be a calm and relaxed couch potato. please do not be so naive.