A good breed for my lifestyle...

• Silver

A good breed for my lifestyle...

Hello, I just joined this forum a couple minutes ago because for the past couple years I have been considering a dog. The only problem is I'm not sure if I'm the type of person who could own a dog. I am not a very active person. As you can tell by my user name I am a musician and spend most of my day composing music. I'm looking for a companion dog instead of a jogging partner dog. The two breeds that I have been considering the most are Dachshunds and Siberian Huskies (an older one from a rescue so that it would need less excercise). In my area we have very warm summers and very cold winters, so I need a dog that could tolerate those extremes. As irresponsible as this may seem, I am looking for a dog that would need the least amount of work. I am aware that no matter what kind of dog I decide on there is a huge commitment involved so I'm not looking for a dog that requires no work. Just a dog that doesn't need grooming every day, 3 hours of excercise a day, etc. I'm not home all the time either. The dog would be at home alone for maybe 10-20 hours a week. I know that a cat would probably be better for me, but I have an allergy that is only triggered by cats so that is out of the question. Oh, and one last thing, my house is in an area where fences are not allowed so I'd need a dog that would be okay with an electric fence. I have a family with a 13 year old in case that makes a difference in what breed. So to sum it all up:

1. Would it even be possible for me to get a dog with my lifestyle?
    2. What type of breed should I get?
    • Gold Top Dog
    WELCOME!!!![sm=welcome2.gif]

How active is you're 13 year old? I can easily take my border collie jogging every day, so if your 13 year old can, then get a more active breed.

There are MULTIPLE  things you have to remember:

Will you provide about 50 dollars a month for a PREMIUM dog food like Solid Gold or Egle Pack, not Purina?

How far will  you take it into training? Basic manners (walk nicely on leash, sit, come) basic obedeince training from a facility (before, plus stay, stand, correct heel, watch, and maybe some fun tricks), advanced (all before, just making it increasingly harder, prepping you for competition)?

How often can you play? 15 minutes every hour?

Are you home all day?

How's your childs responsiblity level? Can they provide basic requirements like feeding, watering, brushing and pottying? These are the basic requirements MINIMUM at my house, but also considering I have a puppy and it was my choice to get a dog for myself, I have 100% responsibilty.

Do you mind shedding?

What size? Teacup :chihuahua sized Small: terrier sized (jack russel, bichon, lhasa apso) medium (aussie, border collie,small german shepherd, airdale terriers) large (german shepherds, boxers, dobermans) xtra large (anatolian shpeherd, irish wolfhound)

What coat do you prefer? Curly, wavy or straght? Long, medium or short? Coarse or smooth?

Over all, I suggest a bichon frise. Small, don't require a lot of excercise, bright, easy to train, sweet, easy to socialize, and you can even paper train them, since they don't poop and pee in large amounts like an Anatolian! I kknow that when composers get into a groove, they don't want to stop to potty the puppy.
    • Gold Top Dog
    1.  Yes!  I think unless someone has a malicious or selfish intent, there really is a dog for everyone. [:)]

2.  In your situation, I think it would be more wise to look at individual dogs rather than a breed.  I think this is the best idea for those that are more interested in a low-maintenance, low-energy dog.  Go to local shelters and ask to see dogs that fit your lifestyle.  You're more likely to find a match with an individual dog that has a temperament to match yours.  For example, at the shelter I work at, two of the calmest, laziest dogs we've had were a Norwegian Elkhound and a Jack Russell Terrier.  Neither of these breeds can be described as low-maintenance, low-energy, but either of these dogs would have fit your lifestyle.  You will want to look for an adult, not a puppy, preferably one that is already housebroken and crate trained.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I'd look into an adult dog, and one of the companion or lap dog breeds (doxies and huskies are both working dogs and while an older one may be less active they still have a working dog attitude). The companion dog breeds are specifically bred just for a life like yours, to be your pal and your lap warmer, not to hunt you badgers or pull your sled.

Believe me, I'm not out there running marathons with my dogs either. We picked both of our dogs for the individual low energy levels because we live in the city with a tiny yard and we work full time. There's nothing selfish about that if you take your lifestyle in to account, as you are doing, and select a dog that will realistically fit in with that.
    • Silver
    My 13 year old isn't very active. He's a musician just like me.
    • Silver
    ORIGINAL: Liesje

1. Yes! I think unless someone has a malicious or selfish intent, there really is a dog for everyone. [:)]

2. In your situation, I think it would be more wise to look at individual dogs rather than a breed. I think this is the best idea for those that are more interested in a low-maintenance, low-energy dog. Go to local shelters and ask to see dogs that fit your lifestyle. You're more likely to find a match with an individual dog that has a temperament to match yours. For example, at the shelter I work at, two of the calmest, laziest dogs we've had were a Norwegian Elkhound and a Jack Russell Terrier. Neither of these breeds can be described as low-maintenance, low-energy, but either of these dogs would have fit your lifestyle. You will want to look for an adult, not a puppy, preferably one that is already housebroken and crate trained.

Well the Norwegian Elkhound would probably be okay when I move to Norway [:)]

That's not all joke. I was actually considering moving there.
    • Silver
    ORIGINAL: belgmal_girl

WELCOME!!!![sm=welcome2.gif]

How active is you're 13 year old? I can easily take my border collie jogging every day, so if your 13 year old can, then get a more active breed.

There are MULTIPLE things you have to remember:

Will you provide about 50 dollars a month for a PREMIUM dog food like Solid Gold or Egle Pack, not Purina?

How far will you take it into training? Basic manners (walk nicely on leash, sit, come) basic obedeince training from a facility (before, plus stay, stand, correct heel, watch, and maybe some fun tricks), advanced (all before, just making it increasingly harder, prepping you for competition)?

How often can you play? 15 minutes every hour?

Are you home all day?

How's your childs responsiblity level? Can they provide basic requirements like feeding, watering, brushing and pottying? These are the basic requirements MINIMUM at my house, but also considering I have a puppy and it was my choice to get a dog for myself, I have 100% responsibilty.

Do you mind shedding?

What size? Teacup :chihuahua sized Small: terrier sized (jack russel, bichon, lhasa apso) medium (aussie, border collie,small german shepherd, airdale terriers) large (german shepherds, boxers, dobermans) xtra large (anatolian shpeherd, irish wolfhound)

What coat do you prefer? Curly, wavy or straght? Long, medium or short? Coarse or smooth?

Over all, I suggest a bichon frise. Small, don't require a lot of excercise, bright, easy to train, sweet, easy to socialize, and you can even paper train them, since they don't poop and pee in large amounts like an Anatolian! I kknow that when composers get into a groove, they don't want to stop to potty the puppy.

1. Not very active.
    2. The money for the food is not a problem. I go out to eat every day (I work at home) and that adds up so the dog food is definitely not a problem.
    3. Probably just the normal heel, sit, lay down.
    4. I don't know about playing. I will of course, but I'm looking more for a cat in dog form. Besides my allergy, the attitude of cats to their owners turns me off a little. What I want in a dog is a companion who will sit on your lap, and keep you company. Whether he/she keeps company by playing little games with you, riding in the car with you, or just sitting on your lap. I am not home all day, but normally there is someone home. The only time in which there might be no one home would be weekends. Maybe sometimes after school when I take my son out to lunch.
    5. Size isn't really an issue to me.
    6. The coat size really isn't an issue to me.
    7. My son's responsibility level isn't to great now, but I was also hoping that this might teach him a bit more responsibility. This is one reason I want a dog that requires less work.

P.S I have to thank all of you for your helpful responses. I was somewhat afraid to post this because when I posted a similar message on another forum, they responded with phrases like, "You in know way are ready for a dog! They are not plush toys!" and "Stay away from dogs!" things that when I asked why they never gave a reason. So thank you so much for your assistance.
    • Gold Top Dog
    How about a retired greyhound.  I'm serious.  Otherwise, I'd suggest looking at the Toy group or some of the hound group.  Doxies included.
    • Silver
    Sorry to make so many posts in a row, but I think this might be important. There are a lot of fights in our family so would this be bad for a dog? I don't want to get a dog and then have him/her traumatized by a little yelling.
    • Silver
    ORIGINAL: agilebasenji

How about a retired greyhound. I'm serious. Otherwise, I'd suggest looking at the Toy group or some of the hound group. Doxies included.

I think I like the Bichon Frises and Doxies more than grey hounds. I'll probably get a doxie or bichon.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I'd go for the bichon.

Dachshunds can be difficult to train and can have some health issues related to their long backs (if you pick them up or put them down wrong, they can sustain injury). They are great little dogs but I wouldn't necissarily say good for a first-time owner.

Fighting isn't good for any living creatures, humans included so I don't know what to say there without getting all personal! [&:]

Please look in to bree rescue and use www.petfinder.com. If you chose to buy a dog from a breeder please do some internet research on what makes a RESPONSIBLE breeder different from a backyard breeder or puppy mill.
    • Silver
    In addition to the greyhound, I  think an adopted great pyr would be perfect for what you are looking for... Low maintenace in regards to exercise, independent but still look for some loving... arent huge eaters, content to hang and doesnt need a ton of exercise.  Overall they are pretty laid back dogs
    • Gold Top Dog
    My papillon would probably be pretty happy in your house, except for the yelling. Some dogs are more emotionally sensitive than others, as weird as it sounds. A lot of toy dogs are content to sit with you 24/7 (though they still need some sort of mental stimulation, like walks or training or games).
    • Gold Top Dog

Yeah, like I said...Bichon Frise!
    • Silver
    ORIGINAL: houndlove

I'd go for the bichon.

Dachshunds can be difficult to train and can have some health issues related to their long backs (if you pick them up or put them down wrong, they can sustain injury). They are great little dogs but I wouldn't necissarily say good for a first-time owner.

Fighting isn't good for any living creatures, humans included so I don't know what to say there without getting all personal! [&:])

Please look in to bree rescue and use www.petfinder.com. If you chose to buy a dog from a breeder please do some internet research on what makes a RESPONSIBLE breeder different from a backyard breeder or puppy mill.

Well I know fighting isn't good. It's not like we enjoy having fights. My son is a teenager now and that brings all sorts of problems within the family. We keep trying to stop the fights.

I just bought a book on Bichon Frises today when I stopped off at Barnes and Noble (along with a book on counterpoint[:)]). I'll read that and see if it would work out. Thanks for all the help.