A good breed for my lifestyle...

• Silver
    There's only one problem with the Bichon Frise. I was going to have the family help with taking care of the dog, but my son says he doesn't like the look of it at all and wants a dachshund? The rest of my family prefers the look of dachshunds too. Would a dachshund be a good choice too? If we got him from a rescue we wouldn't have to train him so would there be any other problems?

Also, earlier today I spoke with someone who had a Labrador and she said for excercise she just lets him out in the yard and doesn't even walk him. Would a Labrador be a good choice also?
    • Gold Top Dog
    1.  The Dachshunds I've met have all had health problems b/c of their backs and most had behavioral problems like being really nippy and aggressive b/c their owners were not experienced with training dogs and assumed that because the dog is little, it's stupid and needs less training.  That's not true at all.  I'd still recommend a Bichon over a Dachshund for first-timers who don't want to put in a lot of effort.

2.  All dogs always need training.  Dogs are contextual so even if you get an adult from a rescue that is crate trained and house broken, you're still going to have an adjustment period where you'll have to reinforce these behaviors because the dog is in a new environment.  Just because a dog likes his crate at one house and goes pee in the yard at one house doesn't mean he automatically understands that a crate and a yard at a different house serve the same purpose.

3.  I would not assume that ANY dog of ANY breed would be happy just being let out in a yard.  Some are, but those are pretty rare.  One of the biggest mistakes owners can make is assuming that a yard is a substitute for a walk.  Dogs do not typically enterain themselves.  You must walk them and provide them with physical and mental stimulation.  Toys and a yard don't cut it.  I'm pretty surprised to read that a labrador would be content just being alone in a yard.  Labradors are dogs that are bred for hunting and retrieving, so you have to assume that they are going to require some intense physical exercise.  If you find one that doesn't, great, but I would not expect that.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I'd take your son and go look for a pound dog.

My papillon needs some sort of stimulation or else he gets horribly bored and kind of depressed, but a 15 minute walk twice a day is more than plenty to keep him happy. Usually I take him for a 20 minute walk or so once a day, play with his toys with him (maybe 1 hour spread throughout the day?), and do a little bit of training with him (maybe 20 mins a day?), brush him or trim his toenails every now and then, and then he just hangs out with me.

I don't think a dachshund sounds like a good idea for your family, but there might be some similar-looking dogs at a shelter that would be happy for a low-key existence.
    • Gold Top Dog
    i'm not sure that i have much to add here except this:

bravo for doing research and asking honest, candid questions before you go out and get a dog!!! it's great!

and in reading along here, i was immediately thinking some type of toy breed, but i know nothing about toy breeds, so i can't make a specific suggestion.

i would stay away from labs.  although i have also known some who are quite lazy, they are technically field dogs, and when they don't get enough excersise, it can lead to all sorts of behavioral problems.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Let me throw in my two cents here....

The Bichon is a decent choice, but they are very intelligent dogs- which means they need mental stimulation which equals teaching tricks, or getting out and about on walks.

If you want a durable family dog, that's pretty content with sitting in laps and being sweet, why not Tibetan Spaniel, Pekingnese, Japanese Chin??  Very low exercise needs, bred to be companions to royalty, very loyal within the family.  I'm sure you could find a nice rescue adult in one of the breed rescues.
    • Silver
    What about Pugs?
    • Gold Top Dog
    [linkhttp://www.nextdaypets.com/directory/breeds/1100216/]http://www.nextdaypets.com/directory/breeds/1100216/[/link]

this is a link about pugs.  i've never owned one and have limited experience with them, but you may notice it says very specifically that they can be sensitive to the tone of their owner's voice....

i DO know that pugs are tough little dogs- they often play with my big old bullies instead of other dogs their size..
    • Silver
    Ok I'll look at that link.

This could get annoying...my entire family has their hearts set on dachshunds, but they aren't the right dogs for us. I guess I'll take my son to a rescue and try to find a dog there. Thanks.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I got my dachshund as a first time dog owner.  I will say that it took a lot of time and patience to get her housetrained.  She is 2 years old and still not 100%.  That being said,  she is really a great companion.  She loves to sit in laps, and go for walks.  They do not need tons of exercise but that doesn't mean they are ok sitting around the house all day.  They do need daily walks, about 20-30 minutes a day is ideal.  Remember they have short little legs so a 20 minute walk is a lot more of a workout than it is for most other dogs [:D]  The only type of household I would not recommend a dachshund for is one with children under the age of 10.  Children want to pick up and carry small dogs, and this breed cannot afford to be dropped due to potential back injury.  It is also not the breed for people who want an obedient, slave-ish type dog.  They have minds of their own and you have to be willing to be very persistant about what you want and don't want. 

Dachshunds come in two sizes, mini, tweenie (unofficial) and standard.  For your situation I would recommend one that is over 12 lbs adult size.  Good luck with whatever you decide.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Ooooh...I would NOT get a bichon if you are looking for a dog that will not be a lot of work. They need to be groomed DAILY and are prone to ear infections, tartar buildup, skin allergies, etc. Also, they are very velcro type dogs and will not stand to be alone for very long. I think you should get a more independent breed, like a basenji. Just make sure you always give your dog plenty of mental stimulation and exercise.
    • Silver
    I think the dog that our family wants the most at this point is a Pug. Dachshunds second. We're hesitant about dachshunds because they are prone to back injuries and that worries us. The only problem with pugs, is that I'm not sure how long the can stay alone. We spend a day away from home sometimes.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Just throwing in a note here about husky's. Stay far far away from huskies if you aren't active. Even older ones need more exercise than your average dog. They are very smart dogs and can think their way out of just about anything. They are escape artists and very independent thinkers. If they don't have something to do and aren't exercised often they will be destructive.

Husky's are more suited to a very active lifestyle - running, hiking, pulling things, etc.
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: fuguecomposer

I think the dog that our family wants the most at this point is a Pug. Dachshunds second. We're hesitant about dachshunds because they are prone to back injuries and that worries us. The only problem with pugs, is that I'm not sure how long the can stay alone. We spend a day away from home sometimes.

The pug is another breed that is very susceptible to health problems due to the shape of their head.  However, pretty much any breed has predisposed tendencies towards some type of health problem.  It is something you'll need to be prepared for no matter what breed you go with.
    • Silver
    ORIGINAL: jenns

ORIGINAL: fuguecomposer

The pug is another breed that is very susceptible to health problems due to the shape of their head. However, pretty much any breed has predisposed tendencies towards some type of health problem. It is something you'll need to be prepared for no matter what breed you go with.

Yes but the health problems are not as serious right? Even though diseases that effect the eyes are serious, I don't think they are as serious as the paralysis that is common in Dachshunds.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Because the pugs have the flatter faces, they don't tolerate cold and hot as well as a lab could, and can't run as much.