Trail runner looking for a companion...

• Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: mudpuppy

I don't think a border collie would be satisfied with just running ten miles a day. The off-leash requirements and no-shed requirements are a bit tough. Standard poodle? 
    If you don't mind shedding, smooth collies, springer spaniels, english setters might work. If you don't need the off-leash requirement I'd suggest a mid-sized scent hound. Unlike the hard-core bird dogs (pointers,  weim, viszla) hounds are happy to run, and just as happy to nap.  Your bird dog is going to need to run no matter what.

Have you owned one? All the WORKING ones I have would be delighted to run 10 miles!
    • Gold Top Dog
    Definitely keep hunting dogs on your list---but look for breeds that are considered "close hunters." Some breeds are meant to travel far from the hunter in search of game, others are meant to stay close to the hunter. A Shorthair is a close hunter and are supposed to want to stay nearer the hunter in the field.

(I have a GSP)  I know that many ;people who hunt with their dogs take them out and don't stop all day and the dogs do fine---but it isn't running nonstop. GSPs can be excellent with kids and all the ones I have met have had excellent temperments---nothing phases them or disturbs them. My guy is on the big end of the size range and is 67 pounds, he is muscular and rangy and his stride is so much longer than mine that I can jog and he isn't moving faster than a trot.

I'm guessing that many of the hounds are more likely to be "far hunters" if there is such a term. I honestly don't know enough about them. I know they can run and run and run, though.

I don't know what an Irish Setter or a Red and White Setter would be considered (near?) but I do know they were bred to be able to run ALL day. The coat might be a problem???

Two other retriever breeds to consider and research: flat coat and curly coated retriever. They are not as common as labs, chesapeake bay retrievers and goldens.

BTW: Yeah, a greyhound is out. I volunteered for a greyt[:D] rescue and they are sprinters. They could work up to being a jogging partner, but not the mileage and terrain you are talking about.

Good luck with your search.

• Bronze
    Suggesting a dog from a rescue organization is really a great idea. They will know if a dog will be good with children and that kind of exercise, and if you're lucky you might just get a fully trained dog. Besides, I think the puppy years would be tough with a baby as well. Unfortunately, getting a rescue dog of the more rare breeds will be difficult, namely the Vizsla (though I think they'd be a great choice [;)]). I'd imagine the GSP or Pointer would be easier to find. Good luck with your search.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Vizsla rescue information can be found at the below address:

[linkhttp://clubs.akc.org/vizsla/rescue.htm]http://clubs.akc.org/vizsla/rescue.htm[/link]

• Gold Top Dog
    wow, this is a great thread! 

when i first saw this, i thought, "ridgeback"... but then i realized that you MIGHT have some issues with ridgebacks "taking off".  ridgebacks, however, were bred to hunt lions, so endurance and "fearlessness" (for lack of a better word) are part of their personalities, although, as "ridgebackgermanshepard" noted, there are always exceptions.  mainly, a ridgeback came to mind as a "critter deterrent", though i know some ridgeback pups are quite boisterous, which might be an issue with a young child in the house.

as i read on, though, i'm thinking you might want some kind of sporting dog, as others have suggested.  i have some friends with some German Shorthaird Pointers, and those dogs will run and run and run and run some more, but are not particularly "prey driven", they just run for the pure joy of it.

if you decide to go with a breeder, make sure their hips and elbows have been checked.  there are some breeders here, and i would URGE you to ask them "what makes a good breeder", because there are plenty of unscrupulous people out there who are great at misrespresenting themselves.

a breed specific rescue is a great choice.  just be aware that rescues can be VERY "thorough" in the adoption process- they want to make sure their dogs are going to a good home and aren't going to end up tied up in the woods with their mouths taped shut or something.  you also may have to go though a fairly long wait period, but it would certainly be no longer than if you got a puppy and had to wait for structural development.

best of luck with this, and keep us posted.  i'll be interested to see where your search leads you...!
    • Gold Top Dog
    Cattledog! (ACD= Australian Cattle dog, AKA blue heeler or red heeler) There are lots of purebred ACD's available for adoption, as well as mixes in foster homes and rescue shelters.

* Good with kids only if raised with them as a pup - or have been fostered with them and are deemed reliable.
    * "Velcro dogs" = bonds with you, reliable for off leash running
    * Easy to train, loves to "get it right"
    * Does have strong prey drive, but velcro bonding is even stronger, good obedience training gives control
    and mental stimulation
    * Very mellow at home ... follows you around, doesn't bark much, takes lots of naps and watches squirrels
    * Blows coat for summer
    * medium sized dog
    * digs a wee bit, but easily managed
    * Can run for days, is tough and hearty

An adolescent dog will already to be able to run with you, with a pup you'll need to wait (till about a year or so). These dogs are great at all sports: frisbee, flyball, agility, herding, ...

I have an ACD/chow mix. She's a little more stubborn perhaps, and maybe extra velcro/protective, but very adaptable for home/car/camping/running/hiking/dining out/etc. I adopted mine at 14 months, and she wasn't socialized, couldn't be around dogs/kids/cats. In 5 months we've got the dog thing down, most of the cat thing, and are working up to exposing her to kids - point is, she's so adaptable!

I was told it'd be risky to take on an ACD as a newbie with dogs, but there are so many issues I haven't had to deal with: counter surfing, destroying stuff in the house, running away, housebreaking problems, barking, getting on furniture, ... Besides socialization, she's been a breeze!

http://www.newhopecattledogs.com/
    http://members.cox.net/markabbott/ACDfaq/acdman.html#anchor127050
    • Gold Top Dog
    If you can narrow it down to one or two breeds, make contact with breeders around you and let them know you are interested. If you choose a sporting breed, look at local hunting clubs.

You might be able to find an adult dog that is a "return" to a good breeder...you'll have the benefits of rescuing an exercise-ready adult plus you'll know about the dog's background and HEALTH backgrounds of parents and sibs if you get a dog from its original breeder.

People return dogs for all kinds of reasons. Here are a couple of head-scatching examples:

* A 4 year old GSP female that was returned to a breeder because the owner wasn't going to hunt with her anymore! 

* A 6yo dog (titled in two types of dog events) that was returned because the owner decided to focus on showing another breed. BTW: She is as sweet as the day is long and unflappable.

Now the first has a good home and the second is with the breeder as she keeps an eye out for a home where the dog can be active. The breeder is in no rush[:D]. Honestly if that second girl had been offered to me when I was looking for a pup I would have snatched her up in a second. She's a doll!

So make connections and you might be surprised to see what is out there for non-advertised adoptions.

Good luck!
    • Gold Top Dog
    NO NO NO  a cattle dog and a kelpie are not a good fit for first time owners with small children.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I'm partial to the border collie, myself.  [;)]  I think 10-20 miles a day is plenty to wear out a BC, especially if you work on training and other mental exercises during the day, or give him/her interactive toys and such.  One of the things I love about my BC is that since they are bred to work closely with humans, we have a great bond already and she definitely looks to me as the one in charge.  And when we are hiking off leash, she makes sure she doesnt go too far ahead, or comes back and checks on me if she does.  So I feel like we are team, you know?

She was a 2-3 yr old rescue.  Tested with kids (I have a 6yo and an 18m old) and cats.  She has been wonderful except for a little dog reactivity taht we are working on. 
    • Gold Top Dog
    more about the ridgeback idea...

Yes, some tend to take off after things, but you can definitely get them out of that. When i walk Wyatt and he sees a bird or a rabbit, he will start prancing and he perks his ears up, but he has learned not to pursue. I let wyatt off leash sometimes, as long as there are no cars around.
    i've had 4 ridgebacks and even though none have been raised with young children, they are exceptional around them. All but wyatt have been very gentle. Wyatt doesn't quite realize how large he really is, and will sometimes run into them. He is also a wonderful housedog-except that he will knock down the garbage can looking for food.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I'll put my two cents in for the Dobe.  [;)]

I know temperaments will vary between dogs, but my Dobie was definitely a velcro-dog.  He was very well-trained, as well, though, but he was one of the easiest dogs I've ever trained, as well.  He was completely trained in Schutzhund obedience, but I never got a chance to see a protection trainer(and that is a little out of my training field), so he never competed. 

Off-leash/Bolting
    This guy would heel under the worst destractions.  We have squirrels galore where I live, so they were always jumping out and running up trees and such, and he never had a problem (after the first couple of corrections in the beginning). 

Kids
    Mine was good with kids, though I'm sure your best bet would be to raise the dog around kids.  He wasn't really raised with them, but he was well-socialized, so he know that children weren't prey! 

Shedding
    Dobes really aren't bad shedders at all, especially if you brush them out at least once a week (even better daily). 

Distance
    My boy could go all day, so I'm sure you'd have no problem.  You would definitely have to wait until the dog was older, however, because Dobes are ;prone to hip dysplasia.

New Owners
    Dobes are usually dominant dogs, but if you do end up getting the chance to pick out a puppy (or a younger dog), just pick the right one for you.  Never pick a puppy with a higher energy than yours.  If you're a really laid back person and don't want to deal with the challenged of a more dominant dog, then get a laid back puppy, not the one that comes charging up first to meet you.  (Also, being "laid back" doesn't mean that the dog won't be active.  This is just a personality type)

Training Difficulty
    Dobes are very easy to train because they are intelligent, but the can become a handful because of their intelligence.  They become bored very easily, and when training you shouldn't try to drill a certain behavior into their heads.  They'll just get bored and stop paying attention.  Make it varied! 

I would also think that a shelter dog would be a good bet, too.  You don't necessarily know what you are getting, but they are all great dogs in need of homes.   
    • Gold Top Dog
    Have you owned one? All the WORKING ones I have would be delighted to run 10 miles!

yeah, but BC's and the other hard-core working dogs aren't satisifed with JUST running. They need work too-- mental stimulation.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I think the idea of just checking your local shelter is great.  Just as an example, here's a dog I found today browsing Petfinder that sounds like it would suit your needs.  You never know what you might find at the shelter!

[linkhttp://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=6588288]http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=6588288[/link]
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: mudpuppy

yeah, but BC's and the other hard-core working dogs aren't satisifed with JUST running. They need work too-- mental stimulation.

Up to 30  minutes a day for training (UP to, alot of times I forget training) combined with a treat ball and an IQube partnered with the physical exercise is more than enough.
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: mrv

NO NO NO  a cattle dog and a kelpie are not a good fit for first time owners with small children.

I agree - they aren't even a good fit for many adults.  Nice dogs for the right owner, but we need to keep the OP's requirements in mind.  Many herders nip and chase children, and can be guardy, herdy, or territorial at home. They aren't always welcoming of strangers.  The kids' playmates need to be kept safe, too.
    I like Rebecca's advice about adopting an adult dog - one that has been temperament tested and is sound (what if you adopt a retriever pup and it has hip dysplasia?)
    Anyway, some of the breeds mentioned are great for jogging - English Foxhound, Viszla, German Shorthair, etc.  But each breed has its good points and drawbacks.  The perfect dog is the stuffed on at the toy store.