Trail runner looking for a companion...

• Silver

Trail runner looking for a companion...

Hi all. I am new to the board - so forgive me if my questions have been asked a million times already!

My wife and I like to run trails in the Wasatch Mountains (Utah). Due to our schedules, and the fact that we have an 18 month old son - we often are not able to run with each other. Plenty of wildlife here - so I would feel much more comfortable if my wife and I had a "companion" running with us. We are looking for the perfect dog, I am afraid. Here is what we are looking for - any advice you could give on a particular breed would be very much appreciated.

1) Has to be good with kids
    2) Has to be able to go for a 10-20 mile trail run
    3) In a perfect world - it would not destroy our backyard (by digging holes)
    4) Has to be "trainable"
    5) In a perfect world - it would not shed a ton?
    6) Would prefer a medium-to-large dog

Does this breed of dog exist? $$$ are not really a concern - we just don't want to go into this "blindly". Are there any trail runners out there who can speak from a first hand experience? We are certainly able to spend the time with training and anything else necessary.

We have been told that Malamutes and Huskies are good dogs for running - but that they can do some damage to property (digging) and that they shed a lot. What about Labs? Can they run that type of distance (and is it good for them to do so)?

Thanks in advance for any advice. It seems like you have a great forum here.

Trail Runner
    • Gold Top Dog
    Hi, and  [sm=welcome2.gif]
    First of all.. it's awesome that you're doing the research to find the right dog that will fit into your family.
    Secondly, I think there are LOTS of breeds that would be lucky to have a home like yours.

Some things you may want to ask yourself though (and may get you better answers), are do you want a purebred dog? or will a mixed be fine?
    And do you really want a puppy? or will you accept a young adult?
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think if you get a puppy, you'll have to wait until the bones are developed until you can do things like 10-20 mile runs... you could damage the developing joints if you do.

And huskies & malamutes shed.. a lot. Labs are moderate shedders, so you'd still have to battle the furballs in your house.

I don't think there are many large (50-100 lb) dogs that wouldn't be able to run with you. The only thing is that you'd have to work the dog up - start small, and slowly work up to the 10-20 mile runs that are normal to you.

[:)] I hope I helped a little... this forum has a wealth of information on it, and tons of knowledgeable people... so stick around, and feel free to ask any questions that come to mind!
    • Gold Top Dog
    For any large breed you will have to wait until the growth plates are formed before you can do that kind of running with them. That would be between 1-2 years, depending on the breed. If you want to get a puppy and wait, that's of course an option, but they are a lot of work.

You could also get a purebred or a mix from a shelter. An already fully-grown dog will only need some "practice" to get into shape for those kinds of runs. Another route to go would be a breed-specific rescue, or an adult dog from a breeder. (Breeders generally have puppies, but those good breeders who show do sometimes have a dog they kept for showing, but it didn't work out for whatever reason.)

Lots of breeds sound to me like they would suit your lifestyle. I have a lab and he's active and friendly, but he DOES shed. I would probably look into hunting/working breeds if I were you, because they are bred for stamina and energy. One dog I might seriously consider in your place would be a Weimaraner.

Kate
    • Puppy
    Your absolute best bet would be to go to the pound to find your perfect match. Unlike getting a puppy, what you see is what you get.
    Just wanted to say Labs shed a lot!!! As a groomer I would say they shed more than husky's. Husky's blow their coat a couple times a year but Labs it is never ending. You could get a dog like a St. Poodle, they don't shed, as long as you don't mind spending the $$$ for regular grooming.
    The digging issue is just a training issue, it doesn't matter what breed.
    Maybe some kind of Spainel?
    • Gold Top Dog
    I would look for  dogs bred to run and be athletic...Depending on your running in winter,,, I would consider shorter coat dogs.  They may shed but it is not as noticable as more coated dog.  I would look at pure bred rescues that do a good job of evaluating dogs for kids, cats, etc.  A dog that has been fostered for awhile will have had to adjust to a new home, learn rules, etc.  The foster folk will be able to give insights into that pattern of learning.

Four breeds come to mind that would do well with a running life style.... Now if you stop or reduce the running you could be in for problems, because the dogs will have built up energy.

Two from the sporting group (weims and vizsla) nonsporting (dalmation) working (dobe).  I owned dobes for 26+ years.  They can be just what you are looking for,  I would consider red over black for running out in the open in the summer.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Be careful with Labs....they have a genetic condition where some can collapse after moderate exercise let alone heavy exercise.
    [linkhttp://thelabradorclub.com/library/eicstudy.html]http://thelabradorclub.com/library/eicstudy.html[/link]
    • Gold Top Dog
    Were I you...I'd look into the ULTIMATE running endurance machine...the Foxhound...English or American (tho I favor the English, more substance). These dogs were bred to quite literally run and jump obstacles for HOURS daily....they are extremely sweet dogs when raised within a home. They are hounds so they CAN bay and be loud if bored...and may also seek "out" if they are not exercised enough...but that doesn't really seem the case here, other drawbacks would be a stubborn streak so training is best done early and positively.

They are attractive and usually get on well with other dogs and most everyone really. If you need some info on these two breeds PM me as I know some Beagle folks who also have the larger hound and sometimes have older pups or young adults needing rehoming.

ETA: They are also a very rare breed here so they aren't overbred and suffer far fewer genetic issues than other more popular breeds.

• Gold Top Dog
    I would think that a retired greyhound would fit the bill quite nicely.  However, you always have to keep them on lead from what I understand.  But, you don't want your dog romping off away from you regardless......
    • Gold Top Dog
    I don't know that a Greyhound is an endurance runner, really?
    They seem more a quick burst short distance, back to the couch, lol. These distances are quite long....just my thought tho.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Yeah, I was thinking Greyhound rescue too... though I come from a long line of foxhunters in VA, and even when raised in a kennel for hunting they're pretty nice dogs. (Sorry, not dogs, "hounds"!) They also have very impressive endurance, and are quite cute. But so are greyhounds. [:)]

I was also thinking... if your dog is going to be getting that much exercise, he's probably going to be entertained enough to not do a lot of boredom-inspired exercises like digging in your backyard.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Our Vizsla Gunnar is an great runner. He jogs with my husband and has gone long distance running with his aunt. He has tremendous energy and yet when he is home he is content to lay around and sleep. I am sure he could jog for 20 miles or more as when in the field he will hunt for hours and his time is spent quartering the fields looking for birds.
     He has never been destroyed anything apart from a short one month period as a puppy (he ate my PDA and one of my husbands shoes). Vizsla's are handsome dogs and very versatile if you choose the right breeder. Our Gunnar is from imported Hungarian lines.

Check out the Vizsla. They are wonderful dogs!

• Gold Top Dog
    Gina, I honestly don't know either.  I do know that my niece was going to get one as a jogging partner but then her mother's "ewwwwww, dogs are dirty" training kicked back in.....
    • Gold Top Dog
    I would suggest contacting  rescues like Wasatch Humane, PSF, or Lab Rescue of Utah with your list to see if
    they have a dog that matches your needs.   Wasatch Humane has good foster program and they pull dogs from
    shelters based on temperment. They even have a foxhound as Gina suggested.
    As for breed I would suggest a sporting breed and also add "good with other dogs " as a must if you are going
    to do offleash running..
    Check Petfinder.com for a list of dogs, some are already trained like this one.
    [linkhttp://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=8346020]http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=8346020[/link]

• Gold Top Dog
    Most of the sporting breeds make great jogging partners.  The ones I see most often are the Viszla, GSP, and Weimeraner.  GSPs and Weims can be a bit too "highstrung" for families with young children, but Vizslak are very even keel with a nice "middle of the road" temperament.

Herding breeds like the GSD, who is a tending dog, can also be great partners.  If you ever see any GSDs with the acronym of AD, realize this is a German endurance title.  The dog gaited (jogged) for 12 miles alongside a bike, stopping at a couple check points for the dog to be checked for any injury or physical strain.  After that running test is finished, the dog does a brief heeling pattern (shows control and gives the dog a chance to cool down), and following that, a courage test.

They are an endurance breed, so they're good in that regard.  Good with kids too, but definitely not for everybody.

Out of all the suggestions so far though, I think you should look into the Vizsla
    • Gold Top Dog
    I know of quite a few Brittany running partners.  :)  But they might be smaller than you want (most are ~35-55 lbs).  Other than that, they meet most of your criteria.  (Just about any dog can dig if bored, although some breeds are diggier than others, and many diggy dogs wont dig if well-exercised.)

Are you hoping for a dog that would put up a fight if confronted by wildlife?  Or are you just hoping an additional live body would deter critters?