Trail runner looking for a companion...

• Gold Top Dog
    IF you have the endurance to keep up a Rhodeisan Ridgeback might well be a good choice.  IF you have the time to keep a super intelligent dog occupied, a Border Collie may very well be good for you.  Both of these breeds are tireless runners.  BCs are bred to work ALL day and keep going.  However, they need lots of mental stimulation to keep them out of trouble.  They are emininently trainable and are considered by many to be the smartest purebred dog. Ridgebacks were bred to hunt lions, so any wildlife you meet would probably not phase them.  They are larger than BCs and have  a shorter coat as well.

Check with your local shelter as well as going to your library.  Check out every book you can find and educate yourself VERY thoroughly before even considering either breed.  Remember, these pets are for a lifetime, not a season.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I run with my german shepherd quite a bit. We only run about 2 miles, but he is an awesome companion. Like everyone else said, they need to be about 2 years old. I love running with Kaiser because he doesn't pull and he slows down if i need to slow down, and i also feel safe running with him at night. Kaiser is the best housedog i've ever had. He will not get into anything (except for drinking out of the toilet). He doesn't dig, but he will "attack" the fence if there is a dog on the other side. He sheds some, but an undercoat rake and a shedding blade work wonders for me!!

rhodesian ridgebacks-some are some aren't. My current RR is quite lazy...he's ready to lie down after a mile. I have a friend that has an RR and she will go from dusk 'til dawn, non-stop. Seems like the females are a lot more active. Wyatt gets into things, like the garbage, donuts on the table, etc. He's a year old and is still crated. I didn't think he shed, until i cleaned out my car the other day...

I also agree with dobes, weims, vizslas, and border collies!!
    • Gold Top Dog
    I seem to remember my uncles German Shorthaired Pointer going long distances with him.  And, he was good with my cousins, my brother and I too. 
    • Gold Top Dog
    Breeds that come to mind are Vizsla, Weimaraner, German Shorthair Pointer, German Shepherd, and Border Collies.  I think a lot of hounds, gun dogs, and herders would be good for running, but a lot of these breeds are also super intelligent, high strung, and really need a job to do or they become destructive.  The most difficult thing for you will not be finding a dog that enjoys to run, but finding one that enjoys to run AND will make a decent pet for a very yound family.  Like others have said, the dog should be 2 before it does a lot of hard running, so I'd look for breeders that are selling adult dogs (like retired show or breeding dogs) or rescue groups.  That way you can get a young adult dog and will know enough about it's temperament and energy level to know if it will be a good runner.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Huskies are great endurance runners but they will dig holes to get cool in the summer and warm in the winter. You can solve this by giving them a place to dig. I have an area with fresh straw that my husky can dig around in and lay down. This seems to have curbed her need to destroy my yard, but I still have to plant new grass seed every year.

The big shedding is 2-3 x per year (I take mine to the groomer for that so it's no biggy) but they still shed daily, year round - just like most dogs. I will say though, they make fantastic running partners. I used to rollerblade with mine for 10-15 miles and she was awesome for that. She loved it. I don't think I could find a dog that can beat her endurance. Even at 14, she still out hikes dogs half her age. They are great with kids and pretty much love all people, however they can be a challenge to train. They get bored with repitition and won't do something if they don't see the point. They are also escape artists and will see any fence as a challege. I don't think they are a good breed for first time pet owners.

I wouldn't go with a lab for endurance running. Most of the labs I know tire out after about 5-7 miles.

Wiem's would be a good choice for a short hair dog. I love watching a Weim run. Another good choice would be a herding breed like a border collie, german shepherd or australian shepherd. Great for endurance and good family pets but they all shed. However, if this is your first dog....the aussie might be the better of the herders. Easy to train (they want to make you happy), less intense than a border collie and probably won't test your ability to lead like a german shepherd would.

[linkhttp://aussierescue.org/]http://aussierescue.org/[/link]
    [linkhttp://aussierescue.leepfrog.com/]http://aussierescue.leepfrog.com/[/link]

A 2-3 yr old dog would probably fit your needs right now. Like others said, you have to wait a good 1-2 years before really running a pup.
    • Silver
    Wow - thanks much for the responses!  So far - I have the following recommendations:

Vizsla
    Weimaraner
    Dalmation
    Doberman
    English Fox Hound
    Rhodesian Ridgeback
    Border Collie
    German Shorthaired Pointer
    Husky/Malamute

Please forgive my ignorance if what I am about to say is stupid!  I would prefer to buy a purebred dog so that I know "what I am getting".  Is that a fair statement - or is it a myth? I will be a first time dog owner - so I am certainly a "virgin" with regards to training dogs, etc.  I will certainly enroll in obedience courses, etc. The dog will be staying inside the house at night (not sure that matters). The dog will become a family member - but since this is our first - I just feel that a purebred dog will help our chances of success. Does that make sense?

OK-----so my next round of questions:
    1) Of the breeds above - are any of these a "safe bet" moreso than the others? 
    2) Are there real differences in temperment?
    3) Are there real differences in the ability to be trained?
    4) It seems like most of these dogs are "hunters".  Will that be an issue when running in the mountains (will the dog take off after something)?  Is that action related to the amount of training?
    5) Since I have an 18 month old son - will it be better for the family and the dog if I buy a puppy and let it grow/adapt to the family (which would mean I would have to wait about 2 years to really run with the dog) or would it be ok to look for a young-adult dog?  Do these dogs adapt easlity to a family (young-adult dogs)?

So many questions, huh?

Thanks much for all of your help/recommendations!

Trail Runner

• Gold Top Dog
    Mixed breed versus purebred: Any pup is a pig in a poke when it comes to really strict requirements. And much of your dog's personality and potential depends on training, which is up to you, no matter where you get a dog. Going the purebred route, assuming you select an excellent, responsible breeder, does give you the advantage of a mentor who can help you with any issues, advise you on training methods, and just generally be there for you as a first time dog owner. Most superior purebred rescues are the same - they are eager to share their knowlege of the breed with you and want to keep in touch with how their former foster dogs are doing. Purebreds from responsible breeders are just slightly more predictable in nature - however, most of the issues you bring up are just "dog" issues and can't be weeded out completely by selecting the right breed.

Small children in the home: I strongly advise one of two courses of action here. Either wait until the child is a good bit older and then work closely with an excellent breeder. Or work with a purebred rescue that fosters dogs in real home situations and evaluates them throughly for their reactions to children and numerous other things - small animals, other pets, strangers, riding in the car - the list goes on and on. In fact, this is the best way to get what you are looking for - adult dogs that are fostered in homes that are experienced with the breed and dogs in general. These rescues can match you with the dog that's right for your home environment - making it less of a guessing game or a "wait and see - and hope for the best" approach like it would be for a puppy.

Off leash: Some of these dogs would indeed be inappropriate to allow off leash for various safety reasons. My mom's landlady, who lives next door to them, has a Vizsla who she lets walk off leash to their car, for rides. She takes this dog on huge long walks multiple times, every day, so the dog is not underexercised. But if he sees a critter, he's gone, and he's not coming back until critter is a) inaccessible or b) dead. Training helps with some of this, but you really have to get the advice of experts in the breed you are considering. Or adopt an adult dog who has already shown trustworthiness off leash - whether that dog is a mixed breed or a purebred.

So the key is not adopting a purebred, but adopting an adult dog whose personality is thoroughly known to the extent that you need it. Remember the vast majority of adult dogs end up in rescue through no fault of their own - most of them were simply discarded by owners who were bored with them, or got frustrated with some basic quality of doggishness like shedding, bringing in dirt, or barking - or just not being a cute puppy anymore.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Scratch the husky off your list if you don't want a dog that will take off. Husky's take off - that's what they do. They have a high prey drive as well. My dog has killed many-o-rabbits, squirrels, possums and has tangled with skunks - all while in my back yard or on a leash trail walking (we'll be walking along and she'll dash into the brush and come out with a rabbit in her mouth - keep in mind, this is done while on a 6' leash)

If you really want to know the personality of the dog I'd go with a breed specific rescue. They can give you all kinds of background on the breed plus the goods and bads of each particular dog. Not all puppies turn out to be great with children but if you get an adult dog you'll know going in if the dog likes kids or not.

P.S. don't forget to add australian shepherd to your list! :) (I'm biased)
    • Gold Top Dog
    Yes there are breed differences, there are also individual differences.  All dogs are intelligent, but some are easier to train than others, this especially noticable for first timers.  In dobermans, I find bitches more responsive than dogs, but dogs more predictable than bitches. 

Being an individual working with breed specific rescues,,,, go that route.  In most cases the greatest amount of detail about the breed, information about the individual dog and support after the placement are found in those situations.

Make sure you check out: basic obedience level, behavior in the house, compliance with body checks, toes, teeth etc.  Ask about health checks completed by rescue and any provided with the owner turn in or shelter release.

For a first timer, I would suggest the Vizsla.  Train the dog to run on lead, there are some great hands free leashes designed for just such activity.

Buy a crate,,,, plan on at least two full courses of obedience classes, consider looking for a local dog training club or all breed kennel club.  Dog folk are always willing to help someone new,,, there may even be your breed represented.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I think that getting a young adult dog from a good breeder or breed-specific rescue really is the way to go here. Mixes can be and are wonderful dogs, but there is nothing whatsoever wrong with liking a specific breed, set of characteristics or simply having a better guess about what you're getting into. Bear in mind many, many mixed breed dogs are mislabeled as to what their component breeds are, so you may never really know what you're getting. For a dog with a "purpose" such as this, I would go with a purebred dog.
    • Gold Top Dog
    My mom's landlady, who lives next door to them, has a Vizsla who she lets walk off leash to their car, for rides. She takes this dog on huge long walks multiple times, every day, so the dog is not underexercised. But if he sees a critter, he's gone, and he's not coming back until critter is a) inaccessible or b) dead. Training helps with some of this, but you really have to get the advice of experts in the breed you are considering.

Gunnar the Vizsla is very well behaved both on and off the leash. I have had him out running in the desert and called him off jack rabbits and he listens. Vizsla's also hunt a little closer than a lot of the sporting breeds. Gunnar will always keep us in sight when out in the field.  He was very easy to train being the type that is shown once or twice and then after that just refine the skill. I am not sure if that is natuaral to all Vizsla's or if we just got very lucky with Gunnar.He is also a great family dog and is gentle with children (and ferrets) having had both hanging from his ears at different times in his life.
      Vizsla's do not do well as an outside dog as they are very close to their humans and are also known as the "velcro" dog. Having one in your home will ensure you are never alone again, not even when you go to the rest room.
    • Gold Top Dog
    If you're looking for an off-leash running companion, cross the foxhound and the husky off your list.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I'd say a nice rescued Border Collie.

1) Has to be good with kids   Any dog can be good with kids...Border collies (especially mine) LOVE to come up and lick the sticky stuff off their faces.
    2) Has to be able to go for a 10-20 mile trail run   Border Collies are bred to be actively running around all day to keep up with the shepherd and sheep. Even I can't keep up with my litte 8 month old.
    3) In a perfect world - it would not destroy our backyard (by digging holes)   Will it be living outside? Border Collies are NOT outside dogs. You can't just throw them outside for a couple hours and expect them to entertain themselves w/o being destructive. You need to out there, except for those potty breaks.
    4) Has to be "trainable"   Any dog is trainable. Border Collies are especially intelligent, but also keeps you on your toes. A LOT.
    5) In a perfect world - it would not shed a ton?   If you get a female and spay, you barely notice the shedding. Fixed females d'nt blow coat like unneutered males, that's for sure!
    6) Would prefer a medium-to-large dog  30-60 pounds, bout knee height (i'm 5'6")

Now WHO can resist that CUTE little face?

• Gold Top Dog
    I don't think a border collie would be satisfied with just running ten miles a day. The off-leash requirements and no-shed requirements are a bit tough. Standard poodle? 
    If you don't mind shedding, smooth collies, springer spaniels, english setters might work. If you don't need the off-leash requirement I'd suggest a mid-sized scent hound. Unlike the hard-core bird dogs (pointers,  weim, viszla) hounds are happy to run, and just as happy to nap.  Your bird dog is going to need to run no matter what.
    • Gold Top Dog
    A field bred Lab seems like it would be a good choice, but they do shed. My ex husband runs/hikes with his Brittany too. He can hike all day, but running, more like 5 miles. Standard Poodle came to mind also.