Need help selecting a good guard dog for my family

• Gold Top Dog

Need help selecting a good guard dog for my family

Hi there,

I've grown up around dogs before with my parents owning a Boston Terrier and then a Norwegian Elkhound. I'm now looking for a dog for my family that will be a good guard dog but will also be good with young children aged between 4 and 8.

I know that you shouldn't leave young children alone with dogs, but some dogs have a better temperament with children than others. I travel away from home around 4-5 days a month and really want a good guard dog to protect my family when I'm not there. I am prepared train the dog properly, exercise it 30 minutes a day and I have a large yard.

I'm after a medium or large dog that looks mean, but is good with children. I really really like German Shepherds, but I've heard that they aren't so good with young children.

Can anyone recommend any other breeds that are good with kids and are also excellent guard dogs?

Thanks.
    • Gold Top Dog
    It depends on what your idea of a good guard dog is. I'm sure you're aware of this, but (just to re-state) guard dogs aren't exactly like the magically intelligent ones on TV or in the movies that heroically defend a family or have an amazing innate ability to tell whether a person has good intentions or bad intentions. What if your child is roughousing with a friend in the yard, and the dog decides to "protect" your kid? It's not unheard of. 30 minutes of exercise a day isn't a lot, too, and it's definitely not enough for a large and energetic breed. What about checking out an adult dog at a local rescue that fosters?
    • Gold Top Dog
    It is more about individual dogs than it is specific breeds.  There are a number of dogs from different groups (working, herding, sporting and non sporting) who could fit the bill (even a hound or two).  As to dealing with children, that has more to do with raised with children.  The problem with herding dogs and kids, kids run dogs chase.  Actually that can be an issue with any dog.  Large dogs, dark in color and with prick ears are usually viewed as more of a deterant than dogs of lighter colors and drop ears (there have been some studies).

A show rehome from a responsible breeder (one who has signed a breed clubs Ethical Code) could be what you are looking for.  It just would not be a quick find.  The reason I suggest a show home, they are usually very well socialized and experienced. 

You could consider rescues, there are often great dogs in such situations.  The final option would be a puppy.

links with information you might find helpful.

[linkhttp://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/]http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/[/link]

[linkhttp://www.k9country.com/Doggies/dog_breed_selecter.html]http://www.k9country.com/Doggies/dog_breed_selecter.html[/link]
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: mrv
    Large dogs, dark in color and with prick ears are usually viewed as more of a deterant than dogs of lighter colors and drop ears (there have been some studies).

Thanks for that - I never really thought about the color of the dog too much,but yes you are correct I thing that a darker colored dog would be more of a visual deterant.

ORIGINAL: mrv
    [linkhttp://www.k9country.com/Doggies/dog_breed_selecter.html]http://www.k9country.com/Doggies/dog_breed_selecter.html[/link]

Thanks for the links.  This one was very helpful.  I also found some other breed selectors and most are pointing towards German Shepherds and Retrievers.  I'll do some more research on both of these breeds and will also check out my local breeders.

Thanks again for you help.
    • Gold Top Dog
    A show rehome from a responsible breeder (one who has signed a breed clubs Ethical Code) could be what you are looking for. It just would not be a quick find. The reason I suggest a show home, they are usually very well socialized and experienced.

Yup, this is exactly what I'm doing, and one of the reasons I selected my particular breed is for protection, but only as a visual deterant.  I'm not going formally train her in any sort of protection work (she's an agility dog).
    • Gold Top Dog
    I've known a lot of shepherds who were great with kids, it's just important to be careful in picking a breeder AND, more importantly, train and socialize the dog properly- which will come down to your SO, I imagine, since you travel so much.

Some of the LGDs- like Pyrs- can be great with kids and a good visual deterrent without having the home-owners insurance problems of some of the more popular breeds- they're also very large, though, shed copiously, and need a good fence. Another breed which might be worth considering is actually a collie- smooth if you don't like the hair, rough if you don't mind doing some grooming. Many people don't realize that collies come in colors other than sable, but they do- and for some reason, the hoodlum teenagers who live at the corner across from my apartment are convinced that Malcolm is a doberman cross and will cross the street to get out of his way. (Malcolm is a tricolor smooth collie).

I think your best option, though, would be to talk to your local lab rescue and all-breed rescue groups. Find yourself a middle-aged, solid black lab or lab x shepherd who is good with kids, calm, and doesn't need anything specific in the way of training- instant perfect pet. :)
    • Gold Top Dog
    i think that when german shepherds are raised with children, they are awesome! I had a neighbor who had an 80 lb male shepherd, and their 6 year old could walk him with no trouble. A lot of people are afraid of shepherds just because of their looks, but they also seem to be naturally protective.
    some other good breeds for you could be; mastiff, doberman, boxer,  and rhodesian ridgebacks. I've seen all of these breeds with children, and they are excellent...but i think the key is growing up with the kids...
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: Pwca

I've known a lot of shepherds who were great with kids, it's just important to be careful in picking a breeder AND, more importantly, train and socialize the dog properly- which will come down to your SO, I imagine, since you travel so much.

you brought up a very important factor.. what does the SO think and how do they feel about this?
    i'm sure she wont want to spend most of her time grooming a gianting walking shag carpet. NOR do they want to risk their kids best friend being eaten alive.
    That almost happened to my husband and his friend whenthey were kids. they had a GSD mix named Miki. my husbands family spent about three years in Holland while his dad was in AF before they moved back to Florida. They got Miki as a puppy before they left for Europe. Miki was three when they left. he was raised with kids.
    Anyway when they moved back and got their dog back from their friends who agreed to care for himwhile they were gone my husband was playing with his friend in the backyard. Miki was inside and heard the boys shouting. Miki went to "mom" and asked to be let out. she didnt think anything on it, so she let him out... and Miki proceeded to teach this other kid a propper lesson.... My Mother inlaw TO THIS DAY wishes they had never gotten a dog. Miki didnt hurt the boy, scared the dickens out of him and scratched him down his chest, but she hated the every day stress of worrying about this dog and what he might do next. he didnt like strangers and would just about jump through a window to go after someone walking across the street. a neighbour's pet rabbit got loose and Miki chased it until it died of heart attack. He also savaged a pitbull who's owner thought he had the toughest dog on the block. As much as the family loved Miki they will admit he had his issues. Miki was a descendent of Rin Tin Tin. The general of the AF base lost control of his GSD (papered purebred and all) and he bred with a friend's collie/beagle, so they knew his origions well enough(although i've heard stories that Rin Tin Tin wasnt very stableminded anyway...dont know if there are facts to it or not)
    Rotties and GSDs i know from people with experience tend to be overprotective. you have to watch them with OTHER peoples kids.

Make sure your SO is willing to put up with a guard dog, even a lab. we all know how high strung those can be. Since she will be the one in charge when you're gone, she needs to have a good deal of input in this too.
    • Puppy
    In my opinion, all you need is a dog that will bark if someone approaches your house.  A "guard" dog may give you a false sense of security.  It's sickening to think, but someone willing to break in your house will kill your dog if they have to. 
    • Gold Top Dog
    It's sickening to think, but someone willing to break in your house will kill your dog if they have to.

True, but a dog really can help!  Consider:  A classmate of mine has two boxers.  One night, one of them was sick, so instead of crating them, she was sleeping on her couch with both of them on the floor.  She woke up hearing weird noises.  When she got up and turned on the light, a man was standing right in front of her with a gun.  He was undoing his pants and saying stuff like he was going to rape her.  She started screaming and after he took a long glance at the dogs, he ran.  Her dogs have no training in protection and she loves them so much she'd never send them to attack someone with a gun.  However, just their appearance was enough to deter him.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I'm partial & like DumDog said, your SO might not care for it, but what about a Newfoundland? They're large, dark, & imposing, yet gentle, somewhat lazy, & usually great with children. Lots of hair, though... Anyway, just another thought. Just about any dog that will bark, whether they're really big teddybears or more aggressive, is usually enough to scare strangers away. Good luck!
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: Liesje

It's sickening to think, but someone willing to break in your house will kill your dog if they have to.

True, but a dog really can help!  Consider:  A classmate of mine has two boxers.  One night, one of them was sick, so instead of crating them, she was sleeping on her couch with both of them on the floor.  She woke up hearing weird noises.  When she got up and turned on the light, a man was standing right in front of her with a gun.  He was undoing his pants and saying stuff like he was going to rape her.  She started screaming and after he took a long glance at the dogs, he ran.  Her dogs have no training in protection and she loves them so much she'd never send them to attack someone with a gun.  However, just their appearance was enough to deter him.

OMG! Dude..... if it had been my dogs that guy wouldnt have even gotten THAT far! Kaydee is a mad woman with strangers, especially men, or even women that seem very masculine. She is the hard hitting, head butting type. that guy would have been dead meat.
    her dogs didnt bark or let her know someone was coming in her house? at all? not a peep?? I know a lot of people are afraid of dogs, especially the mean looking variety, but he had the gun!
    Of course the logistics of this potential crime would say that firing it would alert people to the crime AND its location. So obviously this guy wasnt a complete idiot. the gun was probably just a tool to frighten and subdue. it probably wasnt even loaded. That also explains why he ran from the dogs. anyone with a gun isnt going to run from a dog. I saw that for myself when i saw that cop show where the bad guy cracked the Police K-9 over the head with a standard police issue handgun. Of course he DID run when the gun jammed. But it wasnt from the dog.

If you want the mean looking yet gentle type, go for a Doberman. Most people get nervous of them. When i was a kid we had a big male Dobie named Trooper. He was a such a pussy cat. But no one knew that. Infact we got him JUST because we had a prowler one night and our other dog was an old Springer Spaniel. However, we found out just how tough old Fred was. Once we got Trooper Fred's attitude changed from borderline sack of potatoes to all out Cujo. When people came to visit they would see Trooper and not get out of their cars, and they would ask us to hold on to him.... However it wasnt Trooper they had to worry about. It was the hidden wolverine hiding under the doorsteps.
    • Gold Top Dog
    We're getting ready to buy a house right now and the place we're renting needs to be repainted by the landlord and have some minor repairs done. So the landlord's agent comes over and I'm talking to him and he goes, "Well do you have a spare set of keys so we can just come by and do the work and then you don't need to be home?"

ARE YOU KIDDING!?! I just laughed. The guy saw my two dogs. Both hounds for what it's worth, not your typical scary gaurd dog breeds, but large. Even though one is crated when I'm not home, I seriously doubt anyone who they've never met before would enjoy coming in to my house when I'm not around to make the formal introductions. I declined his offer and just told him to please give me 24 hours notice and I'll work from home that day because if you want to see two large dogs have absolute strokes, try to come in here when I'm not home.

All dogs tend to be somewhat protective of their territory. Larger dogs tend to be a little scarier-looking/sounding in how they express that protectiveness. If I were you I would focus first on the breed of dog that would be the best fit for your family's lifestyle and would be the safest around children, and then once you've narrowed that down to a few breeds, pick the one that would be the visual/vocal deterent (though be prepared if you pick a dog who's going to bark and raise an alarm, they don't really know the difference between a robber and the mailman).
    • Gold Top Dog
    I like everyone's suggestions so far.  Most male dogs are pretty territorial, neutered or not.  And the majority of female dogs I've been around take the "I must sound the alarm" part of their job very seriously. 

Guardian dogs aren't for the uninitiated and most need extensive socialization for various reasons.  If you're out in the country then that socialization won't be easy to get. 

Find a big voiced, darker colored dog at the shelter.  You'll be surprised at the difference of attitude someone has when they just hear a big bark.
    • Silver
    I would have to say a BOXER!!!  They are VERY smart, excellent guard dogs and great w/ kids.  My 3 and 8 yr old cousins can tell my boxer to go away and he will.  He has protected me and my mom MANY times from people and animals.  They are so easy to train and mine is sign and voice trained and has been since he was 3![:D] They're very praise motovated pets.