Need help selecting a good guard dog for my family

• Gold Top Dog
    Get a good-sized black lab mix from an excellent rescue who has tested the dog with kids and strangers. All you really need is a dog that will bark and scare people away. Burglars want the EASY house---anything that makes breaking in more difficult will make them walk away. Criminals don't want to work hard, they want the easy score. (child from cop family talking here--plus mom worked in D.A.'s office)

FYI: A set of white teeth looks bigger and pointier in a black lab's mouth than a yellow lab which many people get confused with the gentle golden retriever.

Now my story---I owned a black lab mix (the dad was a german shepherd/doberman) and he was the gentlest of souls with children and people on the street. He was as reliable and good natured with people as the day is long. A friend called him "bullet proof" with kids because he was so good with them.

BUT if someone tried to enter my house without permission (as a couple of drunk fellows did one night when they attempted to break through the door connecting my apartment to the other one in the house) he was the fourth dog of the apocalypse. He went Cujo on anyone who attempted to enter the house without my okay---and I didn't train him to be this way. He just had a natural protective streak.

He even tried to protect me once from a front end loader that was clearing snow from the driveway, putting himself staunchly between me and the snorting yellow beast![;)

Anyways, my point is that a deterrant is what you need most--not an actual canine "weapon." Weapons can go off and have unintended consequences.

My dog never bit a soul in his life---he didn't have to because his ferocious barking did it for him. He was also completely trustworthy with strangers and kids and horses, etc.  Go with a dog that fits your family and has the ability to warn people off.[sm=2cents.gif]

Good luck.
    • Gold Top Dog
    All great advice here. Personally I'd shy away from the gaurdian type breeds unless you are experienced with dogs and just go with a dark colored mid/large sized dog that is gentle with kids. All dogs will deter intruders. There's easier houses to steal from out there without dogs so why risk it?

I had a discussion with my brother when I was deciding on my next puppy. I mentioned that I wanted a dark tri-colored and he said "dark colored dogs are so threatening looking" (he was thinking of his kids). I said "EXACTLY!" I hike by myself almost every day and I want a dog that will deter strangers. He responded "oh, I didn't think of that. Good point".

My husky scares most people I encounter on trails unless they know a husky temperment. Her dark color, large frame, intense eyes and prick ears make her look pretty intimidating. She is the worst guard dog though. She loves everyone.

So really, all you need is a dog that looks a little scary but has a big heart instead.

• Gold Top Dog
    Okay, I agree with what everyone else is saying but I have to suggest an APBT!  I have 2 of them and a 3 year old daughter.  These dogs are great with my daughter.  I can't even chase her around without them chasing me away from her!  Brownie is 3 now and weighs about 60lbs and Dipstick is 5 months and weighs about 45lbs.  No Joke!  He is short but wide!

• Gold Top Dog
    Wow!  Thanks for all the great replies everyone!  You've definatley given me some food for thought!  I like the idea of getting a darker colored dog that will act as a deterant even if it is a big softy!
    • Gold Top Dog
    a lot of people tell me that Kaiser looks more scary than a black and tan shepherd...
    • Gold Top Dog
    it just occurred to me after reading the comment above... why hasnt anyone mentioned Ridgebacks?
    my dad had a pair when we were kids. those two were the coolest dogs. their names were Buck and Red (my dad is a "good ole boy", what can i say, he gave his dogs good ole boy names too)
    there was one weekend when i went to visit i had brought my new puppy with me. because he was a puppy (8 wks old) my step mom wouldnt let him stay in the house, so he had to sleep outside with Red. The next morning everyone awoke to a ruckus outside. apparently a neighbour's dog had come up and was trying to make some sport out of my puppy when Red came to his defense. That has always impressed me. a full grown male dog protecting a pup that wasnt his own. maybe it was just a fluke, i dont know. But Red was always that kind of dog. very good at guarding the home and young ones, still friendly to newcomers but he knew his business and took his job seriously when it came down to it.

A couple years ago my husband and i were considering rescuing a RRB but we didnt have a fence good enough for the one up for adoption.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I mentioned ridgebacks. I've a few in my life. Outstanding guard dogs!
    • Gold Top Dog
    oh ok, i missed it then.
    i dont know about now, but back then, with Buck and Red, they seemed bomb proof with any situation. i guess you have to be if your ancestors hunted lions.... but the ones i've met seemed kinda.... grrr.. you know? and the one at the rescue was a spaz - pet shop puppy gone wild.... as can be typical.

this picture was taken at a dog show back in early 2006 - this guy was covered for a reason i found out. he would growl at anyone who got too close. [linkhttp://www.deviantart.com/deviation/29791298/]http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/29791298/[/link]

edit* i'm not saying they are more unstable now than they were back then. but seems it depends on who raises them and their environment. which would be why they make good guard dogs. i wouldnt want a guarding breed that would love EVERYONE....
    • Gold Top Dog
    lol, wyatt is a guarding breed that loves everyone. He is one of the most friendly dogs i've ever owned. My female on the other hand, was quite suspicious of everyone, but wonderful to my family. Wyatt's dad is the most affectionate dog i've ever met in my life.
    • Bronze
    A German Shepherd is not a good guard dog.  I have previously owned two of them.  We have a Doberman (who was a rescue) who is the best dog around.  My husband had one as a child.  He is the most protective, loyal and loving dog out of any breeds I know or had experience with.  He is wonderful with kids as well.  Just watch out for the kisses!  Good Luck.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I grew up with a ridgeback who never met a stranger.  He did intimidate most people though, and would alert bark at strange noises outside.  But if left alone outside too much he'd eat through his dog run and go visit people and mooch food/love  [&:]

He was great with kids (namely me) - extremely watchful, mellow and tolerant.  Not sure if thats normal for the breed, but I'm sure it helped that he was a puppy when I was an infant.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I think a Bullmastiff is the best all around family/true guard dog. They don't need any training at all to do that job; they have strong guarding instincts. They're very laid back and from what I've heard it's more of a problem to get them to exercise enough because they're so lazy. They're normally very good with kids.

Those are the pros, some cons are that they have a stubborn streak and are very strong dogs. They need early training and socialization so they don't go overboard with the guarding. Here's some info on the breed:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/bullmastiff.htm
    • Gold Top Dog
    A German Shepherd is not a good guard dog

please tell this to my german shepherd.

i agree with luvntzus, i think bullmastiffs are great guard dogs!
    • Gold Top Dog
    I suggest a Giant Schnauzer. Maybe I shouldn't, as I've heard Schnauzers of any kind aren't great with kids. BUT my in laws have one and he's 120 lbs. and black.
    He has a deep bark and the postman won't even deliver packages to their house. And not because the dog has attacked him; the dog is always in the house when he stops by and they have control over the dog. The postman is deathly afraid of dogs.

Anyway.
    I would NOT suggest a pit bull as a guard dog. They are NOT guard dogs. Sure, Ella will bark if someone rings are bell or if someone knocks at our door, or even if she hears something.
    But as soon as the human enters our house, she's all LOVE. She grabs her ball and wants to play.

Not exactly a guardian breed
    • Gold Top Dog
    A German Shepherd is not a good guard dog.

*focl* How are they NOT a good guard dog?  It's one of the (many) things they're for!

My GSD certainly doesn't know the breed "isn't a good guard dog"...sure sounds like he'll rip your face off when you knock on the front door!