Does/Has anyone own(ed) an ES?

• Gold Top Dog
    Sorry, a bit late on the question:

Yes, I have a Border collie, graced with an 8 month old named Joy, and she is appropriately namd! I would never trade her in for anyother dog. She is smart, easy to train, grasps new behaviors quickly, likes people, beautiful coat, velcro-y, and loves to cuddle.
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: DumDog

ORIGINAL: belgmal_girl

THAT is a purebred BC. I can just tell by the coat and body build. I don't think that owner was lying. Beautiful dog. Border collies come in a ton of colors, but sable is definitely not popular among us enthusiasts.
    [linkhttp://www.gis.net/%7Eshepdog/BC_Museum/Permanent/BC_ColorSable.html]
    [/link][linkhttp://www.gis.net/%7Eshepdog/BC_Museum/Permanent/BC_ColorSable.html]http://www.gis.net/~shepdog/BC_Museum/Permanent/BC_ColorSable.html[/link]

its a shame the sables arent more popular among the other colours. why not? i didnt think the BC standard had limits to colours? and yes that dog was gorgeous. my photograph hardly does him justice. i have only seen one other sable BC and it is this giant dog book i have. i would show you guys but my scanner is broken and i dont want to infringe on copy rights.... but the dog representing the BC in this book is a sable, and rather foxy looking.. doesnt look anything like the typical BCs. but this book is european in origin and many of the dogs are from the working stock, not show dogs. *shrug* i dunno.
    And yes DogLover, would love to see your dog!

I'd take the looks of a working dog ANY day over a conformation dog. Joy herself is of the correct standard, but she doesn't look like she'll fall over and blow away into the wind.

Also, my favorite coloring is lilac for BCs. Much more dirtier, but they're gorgoues.
    • Gold Top Dog
    brookcove:  SO SO SORRY!!!  I did not realize the two BCs pictured were different.  And I did not look close enough to see Tully in the sig.  I guess I should look closer before I ask questions.  Sorry about that! 
    • Gold Top Dog
    Ahh, no 'pologies to Becca. She doesn't mind[;)]
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: belgmal_girl

Ahh, no 'pologies to Becca. She doesn't mind[;)]

I just hate to sound so stupid!  I mean she had 3 of her dogs pictured and I had to go and ask if she only had 1!!!  How dumb!  I really should be more careful!
    • Gold Top Dog
    No problemo. I realize that at a casual glance Ben and Cord are very similiar. Now Tully might be a little offended - you might have to give him a cookie or something if you ever visited. I guarantee if you ever did, you would not overlook him. [:D]

Tully and Zhi - biggest and littlest:

Lu:

Maggie:

And the rest of the Border Collies. They DO all kinda start looking alike, but there are little differences - that's the fun of a breed that isn't bred for show.

Rocky:

Ted:

Doug the Dog:

• Gold Top Dog
    VERY beautiful dogs!  SO SORRY to Tully!  Yes if I ever were to visit I would give him a cookie or something!  I guess since he was the same color as the sheep then I didn't pay attention to his shape and didnt realize he was a dog!  Well give him an extra kiss (or hug) for me tonight!

• Gold Top Dog
    To return to the original topic, I like English shepherds because they are supposed to be in one dog what my two different working dogs do. They are bred to have both watchdog/tending instincts, and also can be herding dogs. Neither of these instincts are as refined as the two breeds I use here, but most farms don't need more than a dog to bark at intruders and gather the cows at night.

English shepherds are really neat. I have had a few here in rescue, as well as a couple of Farm Collies. I have a dog right now that I think may be either a Farm Collie or ES. I may have said that already. I need to get him on sheep and see what we've got. If he's an ES I'll know right away - they have an unmistakeable way of working: intense, bossy, very little eye of course. Border Collies tend to be less forceful and more pressure sensitive. Collies are very casual compared to the BCs and ESs, a little more vague about actually covering the sheep, but find balance and pace easier than the ES. He could also be a BC from very old lines, making him a close relative of the ES. We'll see.
    • Gold Top Dog
    How Cool?  Tell me what breed you think he is when you decide please!  I'm kinda interested in dog breeds that their owners (or fosters) don't know what breed they are!  Anyway yeah...I want to apologize for kind of getting off my subject of the ES breed of the OP!
    • Gold Top Dog
    Here is a slideshow of pictures of Bandit!  I don't know if the link works but if you can see it please let me know!
    [linkhttp://community.webshots.com/slideshow/101400763?user=1]http://community.webshots.com/slideshow/101400763?user=1[/link]
    • Gold Top Dog
    wow, those pictures of sable border collies made me wonder if our dog has some in her?  we cannot figure out what she is!
    • Gold Top Dog
    She could definitely be some, mostly, or all Border Collie. I notice you are in Raleigh. We recently had a commercial breeder dump a bunch of her less saleable pups into rescues and shelters. I had one that was a mostly white sable merle. I think your pupper might be ee "Australian red" instead, however. She could also be an ES/BC mix.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Your pup is really cute!  I agree it could be some, most or all BC or ES! 
    • Gold Top Dog
    Misty definitely looks like a BC to me... I don't htink purebred though, possibly looks like an Aussie/BC mix. Spitting image of my old dog Bella, except she was Lilac.
    • Gold Top Dog
    You're right!  She is pretty fluffy...I think too fluffy to be all BC!  I'm not that good with mixes because sometimes they are all different breeds from mixed parents.  But belgmal_girl sounds like she knows what she is talking about!!!