Does/Has anyone own(ed) an ES?

• Gold Top Dog
    Bo

Ben - pre-fence, hence the chain. we had only recently moved here.

if you read the standardhttp://www.dogbreedinfo.com/americanmastiffpanja.htm and then spend time with Ben you'll see he isnt very consistant with either breed and is a prime example of why you shouldnt cross breeds just for the heck of it. he isnt dry mouthed, he drools a lot.. he is skittish.. he also has the AB underbite. and he doesnt have the button ears of a rock dog. how ever given those faults, he is abnormally gentle.... he reaches out gently with his paw to get your attention or to make you stay if you try to walk off. and for having absolutely no training, he is a dream to walk on a leash [:D] you hardly know he is there. and he is not aggressive in the slightest, but he has almost no patience for puppies. more than a minute and he is trying to get away from them.

Kaydee - couple of weeks before her accident.

I also want to show you guys a picture i took of a dog at an AKC dog show/agility competition this past spring.

his owner said he was pure border collie, that they sometimes throw these colours, though they are rare.
    i thought he was an english shepherd when i fist saw him...... i have seen BCs all black and all white, but never a sable..
    not that i am calling the lady a liar, but i'm just curious how often this happens. does it depend on the blood line?
    • Gold Top Dog
    That dog is definatly not meaty enough to be an English Shepherd.  The two breeds (ES and BC) are a lot alike though.  The ES is bigger and meatier than the BC.  I am pretty sure the lady was telling the truth and that dog is putebred BC!  It would be a very sick ES!
    • Gold Top Dog
    now that i compare the two...

.... i think you're right. i didnt know they were so ... draughty looking. almost like a saint bernard or golden mix
    • Gold Top Dog
    Well...only that color will look like a Saint Bernard or Golden mix.  Mine is black and white and he doesn't look like a SB or Golden to me.  The tri-color I guess might sometimes.  Do you want me to put a picture of mine on here so you can see him?
    • Gold Top Dog
    I also want to show you guys a picture i took of a dog at an AKC dog show/agility competition this past spring.

his owner said he was pure border collie, that they sometimes throw these colours, though they are rare.
    i thought he was an english shepherd when i fist saw him...... i have seen BCs all black and all white, but never a sable..
    not that i am calling the lady a liar, but i'm just curious how often this happens. does it depend on the blood line?

THAT is a purebred BC. I can just tell by the coat and body build. I don't think that owner was lying. Beautiful dog. Border collies come in a ton of colors, but sable is definitely not popular among us enthusiasts.
    [linkhttp://www.gis.net/%7Eshepdog/BC_Museum/Permanent/BC_ColorSable.html]
    http://www.gis.net/~shepdog/BC_Museum/Permanent/BC_ColorSable.html[/link]
    • Gold Top Dog
    I totally agree with you belgmal_girl!  Sable is not common if the people know what they are talking about!  I'm guessing you have one/some BC with you?
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: belgmal_girl

THAT is a purebred BC. I can just tell by the coat and body build. I don't think that owner was lying. Beautiful dog. Border collies come in a ton of colors, but sable is definitely not popular among us enthusiasts.
    [linkhttp://www.gis.net/%7Eshepdog/BC_Museum/Permanent/BC_ColorSable.html]
    [/link][linkhttp://www.gis.net/%7Eshepdog/BC_Museum/Permanent/BC_ColorSable.html]http://www.gis.net/~shepdog/BC_Museum/Permanent/BC_ColorSable.html[/link]

its a shame the sables arent more popular among the other colours. why not? i didnt think the BC standard had limits to colours? and yes that dog was gorgeous. my photograph hardly does him justice. i have only seen one other sable BC and it is this giant dog book i have. i would show you guys but my scanner is broken and i dont want to infringe on copy rights.... but the dog representing the BC in this book is a sable, and rather foxy looking.. doesnt look anything like the typical BCs. but this book is european in origin and many of the dogs are from the working stock, not show dogs. *shrug* i dunno.
    And yes DogLover, would love to see your dog!
    • Gold Top Dog
    I liked that BC color website!  I was looking at the section on the ticked BC's.  My Tucker on the right side in my profile apparently is a blue merle with lots of ticking.  He's gotten so much more black as he's gotten older, you can barely tell he's a blue merle except for his baby pic (attached).  He looks more like a heavily ticked B&W now.

I love unique colors (as you can tell!).

• Gold Top Dog
    2CrazyAussies:  Your dog is very pretty!  I think he is a very unique color but that makes him even cuter!  My dog is just a standard B&W (the ES) and the other (shelter rescue) is tan undercoat and black on top!
    • Gold Top Dog
    Hey, I'd take your "just a standard B&W" any day, he's gorgeous!!
    • Gold Top Dog
    LOL!  You might think you want him but you really don't!  And even if you did I could never give him up!  He is really pretty OK sorry handsome but he is a really big handful!  Well...with you aussies you could probably handle him but I just had a small/medium dog before and she is not that much work.  And on top of her being smaller and getting tired on walks easier she was already trained.  He is the first dog I have had to train!  OK...I confess that he is only my second dog!  I know, I know everyone says I don't know anything about dogs since I only have 2 but I think I understand more than people realize!
    • Gold Top Dog
    OK guys!  My little girl got a haircut today!  She is so CUTE!  She is now mostly tan but a little black and has pretty short hair.  Her little toe hairs are short too!
    • Gold Top Dog
    Sable is not common because it has dominant characteristics, and therefore when we breed two non-sables, we reduce drastically the incidence of the gene in the breed. By chance, most of the influential lines in our breed are black and white.

There is a popular line that does throw regularly sables, the Bwlch/Moel line, and you'll see this line used a lot among sport breeders.
    • Gold Top Dog
    brookcove:  Do you only have one dog?  I was just asking because there is one dog in your sig and one in your icon.  I have noticed a lot of people have TONS of dogs on here so I am surprised when someone only has a few animals (hmmm....like me?).  Anyway I hope you don't take my question as an insult I was just wondering but it does sound kinda stuck-up now that I read it.  I wouldn't have any room to talk because I only have two dogs SO...
    • Gold Top Dog
    You missed two pictured dogs in your count, lol.

Ben is pictured in my avatar and Cord is the dog in the foreground of my sig - they are two different dogs. There's also one in front of the sheep, a large white dog named Tully that is one of our livestock guardian dogs.

Then, dogs you can't see. There is another dog you can't see behind the sheep - Doug the Dog. In addition to those dogs (all Border Collies except for Tully), we have one more livestock guardian dog, a female named Lu, Maggie the mutt, Zhi the Chinese Crested, Gus the deaf Border Collie we recently added, and two Border Collie puppies Rocky and Ted - adolescents really.

Since I wanted the sheep in my sig it's hard to get all the dogs in too. And yes, that makes ten dogs. [:D] I also have three "trainees" here - Indy (BC), Mel (Aussie/BC), and Kris (BC) - though I'd like to reduce that to two as soon as possible. I overbooked our hotel here because I just can't say "no" when a life is on the line. [8|]