White German Shepherds?

• Gold Top Dog
    Meilani- isn't the White English Terrier also the ancestor of the Bull Terrier? 
    • Gold Top Dog
    Cait, I believe it is and there is a high incidence of deafness in White Bull Terriers as well. I'm friends with a Boston Terrier breeder who just purchased a White Bull Terrier and she told me that the deafness rate is extremely high.
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: hdkutz

ORIGINAL: sillysally

The lady who own the doggie daycare that Jack goes to breeds White German Shepperd's.  From what I can tell she is very reputable and the dogs of hers that I have met are great.  She competes with them--I'm guessing in the UKC.  It has actually helped Jack a lot being around them as he used to be a bit afraid of shepard looking dogs.

If she is breeding for color and outside the breed standard she is not a reputable breeder.

So those breeders breeding for that lovely crippled look in so many of the GSDs today are reputable?  Her dogs look to me to be much more sound than the GSDs I have seen showing in AKC confo.  I do believe they are listed as a seperate breed with a standard in the UKChttp://www.ukcdogs.com/RegistrationBreeds.htm
    • Gold Top Dog

ORIGINAL: hdkutz

The lady who own the doggie daycare that Jack goes to breeds White German Shepperd's.  From what I can tell she is very reputable and the dogs of hers that I have met are great.  She competes with them--I'm guessing in the UKC.  It has actually helped Jack a lot being around them as he used to be a bit afraid of shepard looking dogs.

If she is breeding for color and outside the breed standard she is not a reputable breeder.

So those breeders breeding for that lovely crippled look in so many of the GSDs today are reputable?  Her dogs look to me to be much more sound than the GSDs I have seen showing in AKC confo.  I do believe they are listed as a seperate breed with a standard in the UKC [linkhttp://www.ukcdogs.com/RegistrationBreeds.htm]http://www.ukcdogs.com/RegistrationBreeds.htm[/link]

In my opinion the AKC has ruined many breeds. Especially in the Herding, Working and Hunting groups. I don`t care for most  American showline GSD. That`s why mine are of German pedigree. Form should follow function and the AKC has managed to reverse that.
    So the simple answer would be yes if they are breeding just to win in the conformation ring.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I totally agree.  Take the gsd at Westminister this year....that dog was walking on his/her hocks....there was absolutely none of the beauty or fluid motion that you see in a well bred gsd....the poor dog looked horribly deformed.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Yeah I watched that, and I did want her to win because I love the breed. I just do not understand why they continue to harp on the slop of the dog.

Here is the 1987 Best is Show winner Ch. Covy-Tucker Hill's Manhattan ROM
    [linkhttp://gsdca.org/GSDReviewed/cdogs/CTHManhattan.html]http://gsdca.org/GSDReviewed/cdogs/CTHManhattan.html[/link]

And here is the bitch that was best in breed this year at the Eukanuba show:
    [linkhttp://gsdca.org/GSDReviewed/kbitches/KaleefGenevaAevalAchtung.htm]http://gsdca.org/GSDReviewed/kbitches/KaleefGenevaAevalAchtung.htm[/link]

Why is it that 20 years ago this was good enough to win the breed a BIS, but now it is not? And I should note that Covy-Tucker was the only GSD to ever win BIS for the breed. To me that says alot.

Dawn

• Gold Top Dog
    I guess I'm awful.  I did NOT want her to win because had she won that would be yet another nail in the angulation coffin and form coming over function....so I feverently hoped that she would NOT progress any further because to me, she looked crippled and I honestly don't want that trait being reinforced by a win.....
    • Gold Top Dog
    I did NOT want her to win because had she won that would be yet another nail in the angulation coffin and form coming over function....so I feverently hoped that she would NOT progress any further because to me, she looked crippled and I honestly don't want that trait being reinforced by a win.....

Agreed!
    • Gold Top Dog
    Your right, your not awful. I guess in hidesight im being passive aggressive, I love the breed but I HATE the way the american lines look.

Dawn
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: glenmar

There's a bit of history there and much of it revolves around myths....that whites are genetically weak, that they are not able to actually herd, that they blend in with the sheep, that they are too easy to see in the dark thus removing the element of surprise for the wolf.....whites can't be shown in AKC, and therefore shouldn't be bred.  One of the other registries however recognizes the whites as a breed of their own.

Darn.  Well, at least they are beautiful and make good pets!
    • Silver
    ORIGINAL: glenmar

and there is a pretty strong movement to establish whites as every bit as equal to standards... My hope would be that at some point AKC would drop the silly disqualification

Just how strong does a movement have to be before they accept it?
    • Gold Top Dog
    The majority of the breed clubs would have to WANT this to happen, so VERY strong I'm guessing.
    • Gold Top Dog
    So, historically, did they consider the dog valuable only as a companion?

They weren't valuable at all.  When the breed warden's came around, if there were white pupies, they were culled.  Drowned, bludgeoned, what have you.  White has basically been eradicated in the german lines.  Heck, sable is the DOMINANT color in the GSD, but finding a sable West German showline dog is quite the feat.  Finding a showline black is just as difficult.  Look at the West German winners...all black and red/tan.

And it is not the AKC that accepts colors.  It is the parent club.  Also, that slope you refer to in the Am GSD, is supposed to be there.  It's supposed to be there in both lines.  The German and American standards are similar, but not the same (which bugs me).

The AKC and SV standard call for a 90 degree angle of the shoulder.  The AKC penalizes anything more than that, the SV standard allows up to 110 degrees in the shoulder angle, though it is considered faulty.  It is not as heavily penalized as in the American Standard.

The SV standard calls for 22 degrees of angulation in the pasterns, while AKC calls for 25 degrees of angulation.  Not much of a difference in writing, but a big enough difference to see it in the dogs.

AKC Standard calls for a 90 degree angle of angulation in the rear (as close to as possible).  SV says that seen from the rear, the upper and lower thighs should be approximately the same length and an angle of 120 degrees.

SV Standard:
    The top line extends from the point where the neck meets the skull past the well developed withers and the gently downward sloping back to the slightly sloping croup without a visible break. The back is firm, strong, and well muscled. The loin is broad, well developed, and strongly muscled. The croup should be long and have a slight downward slope (approximately 23 degrees from horizontal) and should merge smoothly into the tail set.

AKC Standard: The neck is strong and muscular, clean-cut and relatively long, proportionate in size to the head, and without loose folds of skin. When the dog is at attention or excited, the head is raised and the neck carried high; otherwise, typical carriage of the head is forward rather than up, but a little higher than the top of the shoulders, particularly in motion.

Topline: The withers are higher than and sloping into the level back. The back is straight, very strongly developed without sag or roach, and relatively short.
    The whole structure of the body gives an impression of depth and solidity without bulkiness.
    Croup long and gradually sloping.

As for Geneva...I've met her.  She does NOT walk on her hocks, though she can stand on them.  I can honestly say, that's just stretching, and training the muscles to be able to stretch that far. She's also considered moderate for the GSD, and the specialty dogs are much much more extreme that she is. 

Strauss is a moderate dog...but I can make it so his hock lays flat on the ground.  That's from 2.5 years of stretching his muscles so he can stack like that.  He can do it facing to one side, but not the other, and that's because you consistently stack a dog facing one direction.  If you showed dogs either direction, he could do it with the other leg.  I can also make his topline look extreme when I stack him, even though he's not extremely angulated

I can get his hock to lay even flatter than that

And I can make his backside drop.  Also notice how his forward foot doesn't reach as far forward as in the picture above.  It's because he can't...I never worked that side to train his muscles to stretch on that side, because dogs are shown gaiting counter clockwise, and thus, the foot that is forward in this picture, is usually the foot that's back.

Each line has it's issues...the American dog with it's extreme rear and lack of brains, the West German with it's roached back and straight shoulder, and the East German/Czech/DDR which lacks any real angulation at all.  They're all detrimental to the dogs in one way or another

I agree that Hatter was gorgeous...in fact, look at my Avatar.  He is who they used as the idea GSD for the picture on the GSD standard.  You want to know why he's not good enough anymore?  Join the SHOWGSD-L e-mail list...you'll hear all sorts of interesting stuff.
    • Bronze
    It is very sad to see how much misinformation is portrayed regarding WGSDs.  First of all, WGSDs do NOT have more health problems than colored GSDs - to say they do is a completely fallacious assumption.  Second, there are several WGSD breeders who use black/tan, sable, black, etc. GSDs in their WGSD breeding programs to help maintain/improve the breed - are they still irresponsible because they prefer to have white progeny?  Third, one of the first GSDs was a WGSD - check the history of the GSD.  I think some people really need to do their research regarding whites before they go around making blatantly ignorant and grossly misinformed statements.

I also find it very sick and as a fellow dog lover/owner very disheartening to think that some GSD owners/breeders still think it's okay to cull (kill) puppies just because of a certain color with no other fault or defect besides having a white coat (I'm not implying that anyone here condones this - just saying how I feel).  This practice actually appears to be more irresponsible to me than having people breed dogs (those who have been properly screened for genetic and health problems) who like to ;produce offspring with a specific coat color in mind.
    • Gold Top Dog
    "are they still irresponsible because they prefer to have white progeny?"

In a sense yes. There is a breed standard. When Max started the breed there were some whites but as the breed originator he decided that white didn`t meet his objective. Does that mean there is anything wrong with whites? No. They should not be bred because they don`t meet the breed standard. Should they be culled? Absolutely not. They have all the same characteristics as any other shepherd and can compete in almost anything but confirmation.