The Cane Corso (Italian & American)

• Gold Top Dog

misstrouble

spiritdogs

Rene.E2008
    jennie_c_d

They're already in the AKC's rare breeds program. I adore them.

I know, they don't need to be any further than the FSS. I guess, to me, this is like how the BC owners/breeders/enthusiasts felt.

Not to mention the Aussies...AKC is making them into Golden Retrievers in merle suits:-0

The AKC breeds all the smart out of dogs just so they fit into the cookie-cutter breed standard.

Haha, the sad part is that half the dogs in the show ring aren't even to their actual breed standard!  They're conformed for winning under how the judges interpret the standard.  German shepherds, for example.  Look at their standard, then look at what is winning.  It's very easy to tell the difference just by looking at them.

BTW...I <3 Cane Corsos.  I've only met two, but they were amazing, beautiful dogs.  I, too, hope AKC doesn't ruin the breed.

• Gold Top Dog
    I don't think it's the AKC's fault, per se. But I don't think they are helping the problem. I blame the judges and the breeders, TBH. And the reason I don't want the Corso in the AKC is because then the Corso will gain popularity and breeders will ruin them, not the AKC. Sorry if I confused anyone. I don't believe in blaming a KC for the faults of breeders and judges.

And besides, the breed here in America is half-way ruined. American's like big things; look at our cars, homes, (some, including me) people, etc...

• Gold Top Dog

It is the breeders, but the AKC is not doing anything about it - so it's theyre fault in turn. The KC is allowing judges to pick non-breed standard dogs as winners, instead of making them go by the book. Honestly, if I ever got into showing and then judging - I'd pick the ones that fit the breed standard. Not the overly angled, to big, to small, overly fluffy, ect.

It's horrible that breeders are getting away, and being rewarded for this.

OT - but, have you seen the BC's that are in the show ring? They wouldn't last 20 minutes in the field, even if they could be trained(not saying they couldnt - theyre still highly trainable) to know all the commands and whistles, they would probably over heat due to all that extra coat.

• Gold Top Dog

Rene.E2008
    I don't think it's the AKC's fault, per se. But I don't think they are helping the problem. I blame the judges and the breeders, TBH. And the reason I don't want the Corso in the AKC is because then the Corso will gain popularity and breeders will ruin them, not the AKC. Sorry if I confused anyone. I don't believe in blaming a KC for the faults of breeders and judges.

And besides, the breed here in America is half-way ruined. American's like big things; look at our cars, homes, (some, including me) people, etc...

That's why I said, "They're conformed for winning under how the judges interpret the standard."

I know it isn't the actual AKC's fault, per say, but like misstrouble said, they definitely aren't doing anything about it.  Although I suppose it should be the breed clubs that need to take some action.  And yes, I also think it is an American thing.  We ALWAYS have to make everything bigger.  Shepherds, Dobes, Rotts, pitties, etc., etc., etc....  People actually think 100 lb German shepherds are the norm now.  Bleck...

• Gold Top Dog

Workingdoglover

Rene.E2008

That's why I said, "They're conformed for winning under how the judges interpret the standard."

I know it isn't the actual AKC's fault, per say, but like misstrouble said, they definitely aren't doing anything about it.  Although I suppose it should be the breed clubs that need to take some action.  And yes, I also think it is an American thing.  We ALWAYS have to make everything bigger.  Shepherds, Dobes, Rotts, pitties, etc., etc., etc....  People actually think 100 lb German shepherds are the norm now.  Bleck...

Americans do LOVE the extremes....I mean, were the one's that started jumping out of perfectly good airplanes, right? LOL!

I've seen Chihuahua's that are so tiny, a shot glass barely fits between theyre front legs and chest.

I really do wish someone would take some sort of action against this....

• Gold Top Dog
    Workingdoglover

Rene.E2008

oh that wasn't directed at you, so for the confusion. it was more of a general thing on me, nothing about what anyone said.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Workingdoglover

Rene.E2008

oh that wasn't directed at you, so for the confusion. it was more of a general thing on me, nothing about what anyone said.
    • Gold Top Dog

Oh, ok. Being right after my post I guess made me think that, I guess.  No harm done at any rate.  ;-)

• Gold Top Dog

I think the real problem is people getting away with murder in the show ring, and how political the ring has become. It's really something that.... if they could stop it, I have no idea how that would happen. The show world is shockingly small. Everybody knows everybody. People know who bought that judge a new Lincoln to get the BIS. Who slept with who, who's mad at who.... it's all pretty public. Everybody knows what shade to buy to cover up a white spot on a Dobe. Everybody knows why it takes so long to groom a "hairless" dog, and everybody knows why Yorkies walk into the ring that beautiful blue-black shade. Nobody does anything about it, because it's taken over! 

My dog is breed standard, but she more than likely won't finish. She could, if I'd hire a handler for her. I won't, though, so... she'll end up a fantastic obedience dog.

• Gold Top Dog

jennie_c_d
    I adore the breed, but I couldn't have one. I'm a very soft handler, and they'd walk all over me. I also have a rule about dogs that weigh over 100 lbs.

Get a female...lol