Dogs under 25lbs?

• Gold Top Dog

Good luck on the new pup/dog! Welcome to the "under 25lb breeds"!! haha I never thought I'd be one but now that I'm an Apartment dweller I've grown a whole new appreciation!

When you are looking for a breed make sure you do the research strictly on #1 size #2 lifestyle.

When picking the dog if their "max weight" is 25lbs+ that means they have the potential to be bigger (i.e. my Sheltie ended up being 45lbs!!!) Pick a dog that is supose to be 18-20lbs or under (this way you have at least a little leway). My neighbors for instance had to get rid of their dog b/c their weight ended up being bigger than 25lbs! That was a very sad day... :o(

Also never get a small dog based on looks/popularity. Small dogs I swear are like a whole new creature sometimes (depending on the breed). If you don't want "practically another child" I recommend to stay away from popular typical toy dogs (i.e. Chihuahua's, Poms, etc) they need a LOT of attention and work. Some people end up getting multiple dogs to keep them company!!

Good luck and I really hope you find a great match! Can't wait to see pictures

Also I saw that you were saying "Beagle" make sure to check with your Condo if they have a "breed specify" list. My apartment does (list of breeds we can and can not have) and I know for a fact Beagles aren't allowed. I've NEVER seen a Beagle under 25lbs, plus their bark is so0o0o notoriously loud. If you can find an adult Beagle under 25lbs that doesn't bark then of course go for it haha (if you can)

• Gold Top Dog

Pomeranian <3
    I've NEVER seen a Beagle under 25lbs, plus their bark is so0o0o notoriously loud. If you can find an adult Beagle under 25lbs that doesn't bark then of course go for it haha (if you can)

If you look in my profile you can see one Smile  Dusty is 3yrs old and 22lbs (just weighed last week) she's a 13in beagle and those are supposed to be less than 25lbs.  There's also a 17 (I think, maybe 15) in and I would think they are heavier.  She's really good about being quiet inside, but outside that baying can be crazy so it is something to keep in mind.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

some friends of mine have a welsh terrier and he is 20lbs full grown, great temperament, is active if you want him to be, & pretty much silent.  Nice dog and I would think be fine in a condo.  Not sure he there is a rescue program because they aren't super popular but you might look

• Gold Top Dog

I will definately look into these dogs!!  Thank you sooo much!!!

• Gold Top Dog

When looking into an older dog - it doesnt mean that they have to be OLDER.

1-5 years of age is still pretty cool. I got Harley at 2 years and it was quick with crate training (not even 2 weeks and she was housebroken for my house) but she has just barely left puppyhood (granted that in human years she would be my age - but hey... I think I still act like a child sometimes too! HA!)

• Gold Top Dog

Beagle rescue always has very nice hounds for adoption, esp young adults and adults. Many rescues work on housetraining and cratetraining as well...so there's a great option if you still would like a hound!

• Gold Top Dog

Gina, that's a great idea!!  Thank you so much.

Now, when can I come over and pick up Ellie?  Does say...tomorrow work for you?  ;) ;)

• Gold Top Dog

mwah ha ha! She'd go with you too...no loyalty this breed..HMMPH! lol...

But her 13lbs self is staying right here with me thank you LOL.

To Pom...I've learned not to guess at weight...looks can be so decieving. Too often I have heard of the 120lbs Rott who's actually 80lbs, or the "3lbs Chi' who's actually more like 10lbs, LOL.

Looks can indeed...decieve. I have never owned a hound over 25lbs that wasn't carrying 5+ puppies and near term LOL.

• Gold Top Dog

Yeah see that is crazy to me... all "hound" dogs aren't allowed at my complex due to their "size/weight/and temperment" the contract says. I was looking at it last night...

Some places are very picky with different breeds for different places.

I just personally have yet to see a Beagle under 25lbs! idk why! maybe they are fat up here for the winter! keeping warm! :o)

• Gold Top Dog

oh yes notoriously fat are Beagles. That to me is not the breed's weight tho...rather a person's choice to shorten their hounds life. Pet peeve of mine obviously LOL.

Oversize hounds can certainly be upwards of 30lbs. 15" isn't that tall when you see it in person...and many pet hounds tend towards oversized.

• Gold Top Dog

rwbeagles

oh yes notoriously fat are Beagles.

Yes one had once tried to eat my Pom... :o( lol

POOR BEAGLES! I wish they had like "doggie aerobics class" lol

Is it possible for them to be taller b/c I swear I've seen one stand much taller than that... because you are right 15" is not tall at all... where do you live?! I'm coming to see these small Beagles you speak of!

• Gold Top Dog

When DH and I started researching dogs for our apartment, we looked into many breeds such as: AKKs (obviously!), poms, pekes, schipperke, eskies, spaniels, beagles, papillons, and pembrokes.  We also kept an eye out on shelters and rescues.  

Honor has shown that the AKK is definitely a viable choice of apartment dog, given proper exercise.  Working on training "Speak" and "Quiet" has greatly reduced any noise problems, and crate training is/was a must.  If you were to get a puppy/dog before you moved in, I would DEFINITELY suggest on crate training before you move.  Beyond the fact that it will be plainly easier to have accomplished this task on the ground (we live 3 floors up, lol), the crate will help provide stability and sanctuary for the dog in all the upheaval from the move.  I think a slightly older dog might be good when just moving into an apartment, especially since you'll be able to guarantee his/her size. Smile 

• Gold Top Dog

My BF is actually verrrry interested in getting an Alaskan Klee Kai, I did some searchse for breeders in canada, the only ones i found were in BC!  That's a long way away from here lol

Are there any possible breeders you can suggest?