Dogs under 25lbs?

• Gold Top Dog

Dogs under 25lbs?

So basically, BF and I are moving several months from now to a condo that allows dogs 25lbs and under.  I am just wondering off the top of anyone's head what breeds those might be? lol. 

I hope I'm not bugging anyone.  Also, do people think it would be a good idea to maybe get the dog before hand, and crate train it (i have NEVER crate trained before so suggestions are VERY welcome) before we move in?  Or should we waituntil after we move in and do it then?

Any suggestions/recommendations are verrrrry appreciated!!

• Gold Top Dog

DEFINITELY crate train the dog ahead of time!! That way when you move, you bring the crate too, and it's comforting and familiar and un-scary. Rascal certainly recommends that method!

Pretty much any "toy" breed (think: lapdog) is going to be <25 lbs. Papillons, pomeranians, chihuahas, shih tzus, malteses, bichons... shouldn't have trouble with any well-bred "toy" (don't go for a "teacup"!).

I think a lot of terriers are also pretty small, like JRTs.

I just moved Rascal from a house to an apartment and so far he really likes it here. If I can be helpful at all, just ask :) 

• Gold Top Dog

All dogs in toy groups, some Terriers and most Bichons (with the last two, most can be found in the group but some are scattered and can be found in other groups) would all fall under the 25lb range (mine is 17lbs if you want a visual).

And I agree with crate training now since it will be the familiar thing of the dog to bring and will serve as their den or safehaven when you move.

• Gold Top Dog

What about your current dogs? 

• Gold Top Dog

My current dogs are 80lbs each lol they will be staying with my mother and father at the house here in the country :)  Don't worry, lol I'm not replacing them and sending them away!

• Gold Top Dog

swamper

What about your current dogs? 

I think they are her mom's dogs.

Anyway, beagles, if kept at the correct weight are under 25 lbs.  We had the same restriction as well and out landlords had no problem with Charlie.  Oooh, does this mean puppy pictures are coming.....

• Gold Top Dog

lol awesome!!  I loooove beagles so much, I had one when I was younger, I would love a beagel! 

Mrsjohnston - are they good condo dogs?

And yeees, it will mean puppy pictures are coming at some point lol.  I just want to make sure I get all the information I need etc., before I do

:D

• Gold Top Dog

Sheiltes (ones within the standard height), corgies, american shepherds, cockers, mini poodles, bichons, schipperkees, Lhasa, Tibetan Spaniel,  French Bulldog, Boston Terrier, American Eskimo, Dachshund, all toys and most terriers.

• Gold Top Dog

What about an older adolescent mix from a shelter?  Ziva is 23lbs and everything I could want in a dog and she's a mix of at least three breeds (JRT, Corgi, BC, ??).  If you get a dog over a year old you'll generally know how big they'll get and you'll also be able to pick one with the personality and activity level you want/need.

The shelter I work at often has a ton of smaller breed mixed dogs - too bad you're not near me as we have an awesome little dog named Butterscotch who's a similar mix to Z and def under 25lbs.

• Gold Top Dog

I was actually thinking that it might be good if I get an older dog to start with, that way I know it's temperment and they would maybe be crate trained.  I worry about a puppy in a condo because what if it barks a lot? 

• Gold Top Dog

l.michelle
    I was actually thinking that it might be good if I get an older dog to start with, that way I know it's temperment and they would maybe be crate trained.  I worry about a puppy in a condo because what if it barks a lot? 

Not to mention housetraining, especially if you're renting.... Confused 

• Gold Top Dog

l.michelle
    Mrsjohnston - are they good condo dogs?

I think so.  IMO here are your biggest concerns and how we address them:

Baying/Barking (bothersome to neighbors) - Charlie is really good, but he does bay very loudly whenever someone walks by when he is awake LOL.  They say they can get very vocal if they are left home alone alot.  Someone is always home at the house (DH works part-time from home and watches Riley), so I fear what he would be like if he was alone.  When we are gone, he is crated, but that's just the occasional diner out, grocery shopping trip, etc.  The longest we have every left him alone was 7 hours at one time and that's when I was in the hospital having the baby.

Roaming - a lot of rescues won't let you adopt unless you have a fence.  We don't, in fact our backyard is laughably tiny.  As a result, Charlie is NEVER off leash.  We walk him 4 times a day (2 long walks plus 2 short potty breaks).  That can be a real PITA.  But, that's the way it is.  It is to the point now, that even after we get our backyard at the new house, he doesn't like to be out there alone, so we will probably have the same routine.

Exercise - Beagles can get FAT.  We control his food pretty good and exercise him a lot and we still have to keep our eye on it (he has discovered Riley's highchair and the fact food falls from it like from heaven).  If you don't have a yard that he can run around in to burn off his food, walks are the key to keep the weight off.

Daily Movement - Charlie is the official champion sleeper.  He sleeps on the couch or his bed or the bathroom floor or in front of the vent, etc between 7:00 am and 4:00 pm during the day (even with DH home) and goes to bed at 8:00 (rough life eh!).  In terms of space, he doesn't officially take up most space, but boy can he hog the bed!!

We are going to get a second beagle once we move and get settled into our new house.  I don't think we will be getting a puppy again though, maybe a 2 year old instead.  I don't think I could do a puppy and a baby at the same time without completely losing it.

• Gold Top Dog

l.michelle

My current dogs are 80lbs each lol they will be staying with my mother and father at the house here in the country :)  Don't worry, lol I'm not replacing them and sending them away!

I'm so happy to hear that, just checking :)  There are so many small dog options.  And you can probably even look a little bigger (since they won't put the dogs on scales).  You can always get an adult mix from the shelter so you know the final size... 

• Gold Top Dog

I would stay away from a puppy - they need so much more time and such, vs. an adult dog. I'm not saying that all adult dogs will be house/crate trained, but they will catch on quicker.

I would start looking on petfinder, and going down to your local shelter and seeing what they have. My corgi/terrier mix would do great in apartment, as long as he gets his walks and dog park trip. He's not too noisy, but then again, I don't allow him to be. He can bark when he plays, and he is allowed 1 bark when someone comes to the door. I don't tolerate anything else - gets annoying and I wouldn't want people to complain. He was about 11 months when I got him - but not house trained. Has caught on very quickly.

I would move in first, and get yourself situated before getting a new dog. Moving can be traumatic to a dog, esp,. a dog new to your family.

• Gold Top Dog

I really think I will look into getting an older dog.  However, with a puppy I will be able to take it with me to work sometimes.

But THANK YOU for all the advice!!!  It is such a big step for me lol!

And Swamper, lol don't worry!  It would be a concern for anyone!

Erica - I just saw your post, yeah, the barking is one thing I am worried about.  I mean, in a house, it doesn't matter so much, but when you have people all around in their homes, it is so unfair to have a dog barking a lot.