Dobe or Beauceron?

• Gold Top Dog

There are some who claim that the Laeken is the closest in type and temperment to the "original" belgians.  The first recorded herding trial was primarily short coated dogs.  It was selective breeding the brought out the four different coats we see to day.  For the most part, you get long and short in litters, black and brown in litters, short and wire in litters.  There were multiple colors in the past and those colors (including liver and tri) still occur in rare instances.

To find working laekens of long standing you will need to look toward Europe over the US.  Still pretty rare over here.

• Gold Top Dog

mrv

There are some who claim that the Laeken is the closest in type and temperment to the "original" belgians.  The first recorded herding trial was primarily short coated dogs.  It was selective breeding the brought out the four different coats we see to day.  For the most part, you get long and short in litters, black and brown in litters, short and wire in litters.  There were multiple colors in the past and those colors (including liver and tri) still occur in rare instances.

To find working laekens of long standing you will need to look toward Europe over the US.  Still pretty rare over here.

I have seen Laekens with the same temperament weaknesses that I have seen in other varities (namely weak nerved and overly sensitive). I honestly feel the varities are more alike than they are different, for better or worse. Black dogs are supposedly the least work oriented of the varieties but they are all I have had so far and mine have been intense and drivey. The sport bred Mals are different, not that they are bad but IMO they are not always what a Belgian should be either (much in the way performance bred BCs might be cool and fun but aren't really what BCs are supposed to be).

I agree that you are much more likely to find a quality Laeken in Europe than the US but you need to know what you are getting too. The Jona Decker of the Malinut would be a good person to contact for anyone serious about getting one.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

I know nada about Beaucerons, but admire from afar and am curious about them.  This old thread has some others with Beacerons, two of whom were harlequin, so perhaps they have some advice for you, workingdoglover.... http://community.dog.com/forums/p/63213/756045.aspx

• Gold Top Dog

Mirana..those harles on that post came from the same breeder Tessa came from.  Karla Davis with Chateau Rocher.  She has really nice dogs, but def. more leaning towards show than work.  I dont believe she does any type of performance/work with them, all though Tessas fatehr does have a FRII, he was imported from France by Debbie Skinner i believe, and Karla owns him now.n (he is also the father to one of the top AKC Beauces CH "Leo";)  Karla is one of the few breeders ith harles.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

(I know this is an old thread, but......)   SOOOO!  Did I hear you're waiting for a Charlie Brown/Lindy pup??  Just saw that they were born today!  Keep us posted if you end up with one!

• Gold Top Dog

OMG i would die for charlie brown/lindy pup!!!

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Charlie Brown was on the field for TT/BH's with us back in '07.  The shot of Lyn wearing her DPCA bib and Charlie looking up at her is actually a reenactment that Cindy Noland did for us so we'd have pics.  (She wasn't there in the morning for the TT/BHs, and it was super hot 8 hours later when those pics were taken, but Charlie was still "on";).  Charlie Brown was great, clearly well-loved by Lyn, and she was enthusiastically motivated to bring him through the sport and make him that all-around dog.  Look what they've done in two years.

Having looked at Lindy... uh, YEAH!  I'd take one, too!  Three boys, two girls.  I can't wait to see how they turn out!

• Puppy

hello, look to my homepage about sar beaucerons

www.sar-beaucerons.com