Children's Benadryl for 10 week puppy shots

• Puppy

Children's Benadryl for 10 week puppy shots

I have a 9 week old Cavachon (about 6-7 lbs) that needs to get routine puppy vaccines next week. The vet told me to give her 2.0 ml of Children's Benadryl prior to coming in for shots. I am concerned about giving her Benadryl due to her age. What is best - to forgo Benadryl and risk an allergic reaction to vaccine, or to give Benadryl? She has never had allergic reactions that I know of to date. This is a new vet for her - not the one she received earlier shots from but earlier vet said he hadn't given Benadryl. Thank you for your help. 

• Puppy

I have a 9 week old Pitt puppy and I noticed wen she peed she has a long string like yellowish discharge wat could that be

• Gold Top Dog

The dose of benedryl according to a veterinary PDR is 1-2 mg per pound of body weight,   "children's" Benedryl is usually 12.5 mg.  and it's noxious tasting *smile* -- if it were me I'd break an adult caplet in half  (1/2 of 25 == 12.5) -- way easier to give

If it were me I'd wait until the dog is 12 weeks old at least -- 10 weeks  is still too young and it's more effective at 12 weeks.

There is no down-side to giving Benedryl before a vaccine.  But don't ever get more than ONE vaccine at a time.  You may want to check out Dr. Jean Dodds vaccine protocols.

This Is just one of many places you can find it online:

www.itsfortheanimals.com/DODDS-CHG-VACC-PROTOCOLS.HTM

• Gold Top Dog

Cinda -- ANY discharge that is abnormal and I'd be at the vet.  It's too easy for them to run infections at that age because they have no immunity yet.