What vitamins do you suggest for an older German Shepherd with arthritis?

• Silver

What vitamins do you suggest for an older German Shepherd with arthritis?

My friends dog is 8 and he's got bad pain in his hind legs in particular. I believe this is quite common.

Alex

• Gold Top Dog

If your friend hasn't had x-rays done I'd start there to determine what is causing the pain.

I'd recommend fish oil supplements and a joint supplement that contains glucosamine. Studies have also shown that boswellia serrata extract is beneficial.   All three of my dogs get fish oil supplements and my Lab mix also gets the glucosamine supplement.  She doesn't have an sign of joint problems at this time.  

My shepherd mix has osteoarthritis in one hip and he gets the above supplements along with an NSAID prescribed by my veterinarian.  He has shown a lot of improvement since he started taking the NSAID regularly.  Lab work is required to check kidney and liver function prior to long term use and periodic testing is suggested to monitor any possible side effects.  

It's important that the dog gets regular exercise to maintain muscle strength. A dog in pain is less likely to get regular exercise so controlling the discomfort is a big part of managing joint pain.

Weight control is another key component so keeping the dog at a healthy weight is suggested.

• Silver

That was so helpful I could not have imagined getting such an amazing response. Thanks so much. BTW - I'm Alex the CEO of DOG.com and the one trying to bring the social side of our business into the 21st century.

• Gold Top Dog

Yes arthritis in the hind quarters *is* really common -- dogs tend to live longer now because they tend to get better care, so arthritis is more of a problem than it "used to be".

Everything Jackie said is superb.  

Glucosamine & chondroitin are essentially "hydreators" -- meaning they plump up the cartilage that is there so it cushions better.  But if there is too little cartilage *to* cushion, then it may not help much.  (This said because I have rheumatoid arthritis myself so I've "been there";).  

A really simple thing to try is NutraJoint.  Originally made by Knox, whose NutraJoint division has been bought by Osteo-BiFlex -- it's just a supplement of ground bovine cartilage + a bit of calcium (not enough to throw off the dog's daily calcium intake) -- but NutraJoint actually helps them *re-build* cartilage permanently.  It's a human supplement, but I've used it on both myself and my dogs for years.  For a shepherd mix you'd only need about 1/2 - 2/3 scoop in food once a day.  It's a tad gritty but tastes a bit milky but I've never had a dog who balked at it.  You could mix it in a little babyfood veg or meat or some other easy to use thing if you use just kibble.

With arthritis (and Jackie is 100% on target) -- a vet needs to diagnose this -- because there are other things that can *look like* arthritis but aren't and are treated differently.

The big deal is to not allow the dog to overdo -- letting a dog play or walk or "have fun" until they limp?  Or until they can go no further?  That worsens the inflammation of the arthritic joint.  Exercise is critical -- but you have to stop **before** it's really painful.  Over-inflaming that joint means you're back at square one having to try to get the inflammation back down to a maintenance level.

Feeling the scruff of the neck will generally give you a good idea of how tense they are which, is actually a good indicator of how much they are hurting.  

You can maximize whatever you need to do to reduce the inflammation by giving a bit of relaxant at the same time.  Now honestly most relaxants that are pharmaceutical are habit-forming.  You don't want to do that -- nor do you want to just zone them out.

But I've found using a nervine herb (literally a relaxant rather than anything that is a sedative) -- like valerian root or passionflower can be a huge help.  

See if you *hurt* you get tense -- you don't want to move that sore spot -- but when you tense you actually make the bone rub on bone **harder** so it destroys the cartilage more quickly (which is why allowing them to go all the way to "pain" makes the arthritis much much worse).  But if you relax the muscles -- so they don't tense up -- it then allows whatever NSAID you are using to work better.

Most dog NSAIDS (heck **ANY** nsaid -- human or otherwise) are hard on the liver and/or kidneys.  You are much better off giving milk thistle along *with* the NSAID so it protects the liver, as well as helping the liver process the drug more efficiently.

There are other things you can do as well -- massage using an essential oil like wintergreen or peppemint (not food flavoring -- the actual essential oils).  These are the oils that are in human preparations like Bio-Freeze and Ben Gay ... but those get fur all goopy.  You can use just the essential oils -- or even just add them to plain rubbing alcohol -- and it penetrates well into the joint to actually relieve inflammation.  Some dogs don't like to be massaged - and for them just dribbling on the oil diluted even minorly with alcohol can bring a lot of relief.  

Arthritis is one of those things I know because I live with it.  So I tend to be a sucker for an old dog who is hurting.  

But you've got to keep the vet in the loop -- partticularly with the NSAIDs -- because that blood work is how you avoid problems later on and ensure things are going well.  There are a lot of things that can masquerade as "arthritis" but really aren't.  Like spondylosis ... and even dysplasia and other stuff.  

• Silver

Bloody hell

U are a one person Dogpedia :)

Have you looked at that content?

• Gold Top Dog

some -- this past weekend sciatica kicked my butt and I  was flat on my back most of the time I had *planned* to review it.