This time good thots & prayers for me pretty please?

• Gold Top Dog

This time good thots & prayers for me pretty please?

I'm home again today -- I've been MIA a lot because I'm going thru the worst bout of sciatica *ever*. I've been to all doctors multiple times (chiro, therapist/homeopath, regular doctor) and at this point I'm on the strongest muscle relaxer out there but the nerve just plain won't release & as soon as the pharmaceuticals wear off I'm tied up in knots again. I react so badly to steroids it complicates what I can take. At this point it's in huge danger of screwing up the plans we have for our trip to the Smoky Mt. Games (David's clan is the "honored" clan - kind of a big deal). I've had sciatica many many times over the years (both my parents get it -- & it started on me young). Usually I just tough thru it, get chiro adjusted many times and limp thru it. Not *this* time. As much as I hate them, I'm hoping for an MRI or something to be ordered today. I haven't been able to drive in over a week (it's on my right side and I can't point my toe to push the gas -- I darned near wrecked myself finding that out last week). I just need it to start getting *better* -- it's simply been worsening no matter what we do. I know I have a small piece of bone or cartilage floating around back there and I fear that's what's ramping all this up. I'm WAY better at taking care of animals and humans than I am *me*. Sorry to be such a grump.
    • Gold Top Dog

So sorry to hear that, I know how painful it is.  I get Steroid shots for it but see you can not do that.  Hope something helps you soon.  ((((Hugs)))

• Gold Top Dog

Callie, I'm so sorry you're dealing with such debilitating pain.  A friend of mine had terrible sciatica several years ago -- she did many things to get some relief:  massage, chiropractic, physical therapy (including pool work), meds, etc.  She had complicating issues due to foot problems, so her bad gait made the sciatica worse.  They had to address both areas to make significant progress.  She still gets flare ups, but it's better.

I hope the MRI shows something definitive so you can figure out some possible solutions.  Have you tried swim/pool therapy?  Even though my friend isn't under the care of a PT anymore, she continues to take a water excerise class because she says the warm water and the no-impact nature of the movements really seem to help her stay ahead of severe pain returning.  She's 75, so it's a good gentle class for her; she goes a couple times a week.

Thinking good thoughts that you can get some serious relief soon and that your travel plans are still a go!

• Gold Top Dog

Good vibes and Rupey nuzzles are on the way, Callie!

• Gold Top Dog

Prayers from RI!

I've not experienced this myself but known a few folks who have.  I pray a solution is found so that you are comfortable ALL of the time.

• Gold Top Dog

(((( Callie)))); I'm so sorry. Praying that an answer is found very soon.

• Gold Top Dog
    This mouse is going to make me nuts -- this is two posts I've lost (color me NOT in a good mood anyway).

I can't swim Tracy -- because of the psoriasis I'm a walking open wound -- I can't give blood because of it, I can't have surgery because of it, on and on.

I got in to the MRI this afternoon -- (paid exhorbitant deductible, filled out tons of paperwork, on table, strapped down -- an "open" MRI is NOT "open" any more!!! They had me wrapped in inches of cables buried in foam) -- they decided I was too big busted -- that there wasn't enough 'room' for me to breathe . So I have to go to a different machine **tomorrow** in South Orlando to try again.

WHY do you have to lie head -first??? Why -- when you're having your low back done anyway -- do they have to stick you in head first????

Sorry -- I am SO not a happy girl. David cancelled two hugely important meetings (he's the department head) which inconvenienced a ton of people NOW only to have to do it again tomorrow because I can't drive.

I hate being a p.i.t.a. for everyone and inconveniencing everyone from my boss to my husband. *sigh*
    • Gold Top Dog

Callie, I'm so sorry you basically lost a whole day and ended up not having the MRI after all.  I know it makes one feel horrible to cause others inconvenience (I tend to resist all help -- I know that mindset!).  But I'm sure you're feeling worse about it than others.  David and your boss want you to feel better, regardless of anything they have to do to accomodate things for you.  I suppose if it was really a hardship for David, do you guys have something like Medi-Van or a Dial-a-Ride transport service in your area? 

Good question about the head-first thing . . . there must be a reason, but it seems kind of silly.  Patients would feel less claustraphobic if their heads could be out for some MRIs.

I didn't think about swimming and psoriasis.  The chemicals in the water probably aggravate it.  Too bad you couldn't put on a special body-size bathing cap or scuba suit for some pool therapy!  Wink  Just trying to find a sliver of a chuckle for you, Callie!  Seriously, I'll be thinking good thoughts that tomorrow goes more smoothly for you.  Hang in there!

• Gold Top Dog
    I'll be thinking good thoughts for you today too Callie. I'm so sorry you're going through this. My best friend went through over a year of horrible back pain. She tried PT, acupuncture, steroid shots, etc., and nothing helped. I could see her slipping into a deep depression and it scared the heck out of me. Her neurosurgeon finally agreed that surgery was the last/only option. She still has some residual back pain but nothing like it was before and she's able to do pretty much anything she wants to now. I hope there's an answer to your problem too. (((Hugs)))
    • Gold Top Dog

Callie so sorry you are having such a difficult time.  You are in my prayers.

• Gold Top Dog
    MRI accomplished yesterday -- and probably at a better facility -- both David and I liked the place I DID get it done far better ... and they did it feet first!! It was no problem and given how much pain I was in (despite hydrocodone and mega muscle relaxers) she went to great lengths to get me comfy enough so I could tolerate it and lie still.) Dr. called me after he got the results -- as we knew I've got about 3 places where the disks are *bad* & bulging. Nothing new there. But nothing growing nor 'broken' -- Since the muscle relaxers are starting to help the muscle "stay" more relaxed I have to continue what we're doing. With my history of bad reactions to steroids, they really don't want to do an epidural on me if we can continue without it. So essentially continue what I've always done -- use acupuncture/herbs/homeopathics to augment *some* pharmaceuticals and chiro. We've had to cancel our trip to Marysville (to the Highland Games where David's "clan" is to be the honored clan) because even getting me back and forth to the dr DAVID has missed a lot of work and I have missed nearly a week now. Sad sad ... but it couldn't be helped and me riding in a car for 8-10 hours is NOT good nor sensible at all now. Hopefully I can get back to work in a few days at least part time to start. But at least this is beginning to turn a corner -- but it's back to bed for me!! I've been up 2 hours and I'm maxxed. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!
    • Gold Top Dog

More prayers and continued good thoughts from RI! It sounds like you've turned a corner--yeah!

• Gold Top Dog

Continued prayers from Indiana too; I hope you feel better with each passing day.

• Gold Top Dog

I'm glad the MRI was as "easy" as possible -- with the "feet first" format!  I'm also glad it didn't show anything really serious, even though that doesn't give you a specific answer to your pain.  But like you said, hopefully with all the management tools you already know you can use, you can be as comfortable as possible.

I'm really sorry you had to cancel your trip; I'm sure you're both very disappointed.  Sitting in the car for that long would definitely be agony.  But it'll be worth staying home and getting more rest and healing time so you'll feel better.

Still sending good vibes your way -- take care!

• Gold Top Dog
    Continued prayers that you feel better Callie. (((Hugs)))