Mom's still not doing well (Callie)

• Gold Top Dog

Mom's still not doing well (Callie)

She is home -- but she's still in a ton of pain.  My mother is the original "take charge" person and this has her scared enough that she's in a dangerous place mentally.  Dad's 88, Mom's 87 and neither are in good health. 

Aging parents is no fun for any of us -- and mine are fiercely independant.  To the point where they've set themselves up badly for the future. I've no siblings, and they've denied me the ablity to be on any of their documents (read b/c of HPPA I can't even call a doctor/hospital and find out how they are!)

I'm hoping Mom will come back from this hernia surgery -- Just asking for prayers & good thots.  It is what it is ...

• Gold Top Dog

Callie, I'm sorry to hear your Mom is still struggling.  What was the day of her surgery?  When my Mom had her hernia surgery, it was at least 5 or 6 days before she started to turn the corner with the pain.  Before that, she was pretty much out of commission and stayed on the pain killers.

I'm sorry your folks are not very open-minded about at least getting some things in order to make it a bit easier for you from afar, like power of attorney docs and such.  I understand wanting to be independent, but there are times when people genuinely need assistance from others.  I'm very sensitive to this stuff because my Mom lives alone, and both my sister and I don't live close by.  Also, as someone without children, I'm aware that someday I may need help from others.  So, I think it's important to be open to asking for help and setting things in place to assist in situations like these.

Hang in there -- sending anti-frustration vibes to you, and some healing vibes to your Mom!

• Gold Top Dog

I'm sorry Callie, hope your Mom does well, my prayers got out to her and your family.  ((hugs))

• Gold Top Dog
    Good thoughts from here. A repaired hernia at her age may take longer to heal. I've called my folks' docs before to let them know what was going on. It might be worth calling the doc to let him/her know your Mom i dealing with a lot of pain. They may not be able to give you a lot of info but you can talk to them.
    • Gold Top Dog

Talked to Dad tonight -- she is ***still*** obstructed and they KNEW it when they sent her home!!!

I can not believe that -- she can't eat, she can't drink .... and they sent her HOME??

Her surgery was last Thursday.  The pain is one thing -- an obstruction is another -- that way lies sepsis ...

• Gold Top Dog

Yup, I'd be on the phone to the docs! That is just nuts. Continued good thoughts for her, your Dad and you!

• Gold Top Dog

Prayers from RI for all of you!

• Gold Top Dog

A true obstruction is an emergency, isn't it?  Sounds like she may need to see a doctor ASAP.  I hope she'll be okay.  Keep us posted!

• Gold Top Dog

Callie, I'm so very sorry for what you are going through. That's so horrible for you that you can't get any info from the doctors. Is your Dad maybe confused a bit, about what is still going on or not going on? That can be very confusing, understanding all of what the doctor has told you and then remembering all of what it was that they told you. If you could only be able to talk to the doctor yourself, that sure would make things a whole lot easier for you. Thinking of you Callie and sending some get well vibes to your Mom.

• Gold Top Dog
    Thanks -- hopefully when I talk to them this morning she'll be better -- and if not, I will bulldoze in and call the doctor.  *sigh*
    • Gold Top Dog

Good vibes for your poor mom.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog
    Just seeing this thread, hope she is doing better!
    • Gold Top Dog

The doctor told her Friday to not eat solid food at all -- to JUST drink Pedialyte or Gatorade **constantly**.  This woman hasn't had any food in her stomach since a week ago Wednesday.  Crying

She's less "nauseus" NOT trying to eat.  But I also know my Mom -- she *Hates* thick liquid so if they're going to try to put her on Ensure or similar that won't ever work -- she doesn't even drink orange juice -- she hates anything "thick" and liquidy.  I tried to convince my Dad today that when she does start eating again to give her stuff SHE likes -- not stuff HE likes.

• Gold Top Dog

((((( Callie )))))  Sending prayers for your mom, your dad, and you.

• Gold Top Dog

*Today* (Sunday) I actually talked to Mom for 2-3 minutes.  That's the first time in many days she's been able to talk on the phone.  She was **complaining** about how bad the pedialyte tastes.

RAH!!!!!!  That at least **sounded** like MY mother!!

I told her yeah, babies don't like it much either!!  And as I predicted the thing she found MOST palatable today was watermelon!  (she's always like fruit better than anything). 

So -- progress is beginning at least. 

When I talked to my Dad I reminded him "Remeber -- this is MOM we're talking about.  Even when she's well she'd rather have fruit and carby things like potato rather than meat.  So that's probably going to sound better to her now than 'hot meat' which is never ever something she lkes!" -- he admitted I was right so maybe it will help him tempt her to eat a bit (I hope!)