Need some vibes for my grandson - kpwlee

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Need some vibes for my grandson - kpwlee

My 7 yr old grandson has been hospitalized due to a serious complication from chicken pox - blood poisoning. That is all I know right now. They are all in the UK so I hope to keep updated

All vibes appreciated!

• Gold Top Dog

Oh dear...of course he will be in our prayers. 

• Gold Top Dog
    Sending a million get well vibes.  (((Karen)))
    • Gold Top Dog

Good vibes for the little guy!!

• Gold Top Dog

Poor lil guy...prayers sent for him and his doctors.  And for you...it must be difficult being a Gram and so far away.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog
    Thanks everyone, they appear to have caught it early so they injected anti-biotics and sent him home with anti-biotics. Fingers crossed that he's on a straight path to good health. I've sure never heard of a kid getting septicemia from chicken pox.
    • Gold Top Dog

Prayers from RI.  That doesn't sound right, if you have sepsis, they do not send you home with antibiotics or anything else, for a day or 3!

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog
    I agree but I am just reporting what I've been told
    • Gold Top Dog

Sending a bucketload of good vibes across the country to the worried Grandparents and across the pond to your Grandson.  I don't know much about sepsis --- is it one of those things that lies dormant in most people and then poses a threat when the immune system is weakened or something like that?  Whatever causes it -- it sounds scary!  Keep us posted!

• Gold Top Dog

Did he maybe scratch at those pox and that caused the blood poisening?  Poor little man!

Lots of prayers and healing vibes for ALL involved!

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

I don't have the details - I do know his maternal grandparents spotted the rash and told my stepson when he picked him up. He took him straight to the hospital and they were the ones that declared it blood poisoning aka septicemia. I did a little research and found this

"The most common complication of chickenpox is secondary bacterial infection of the chickenpox lesions. The bacteria most likely to cause infection are Staphylococcus aureus and Streptococcus pyogenes. The bacteria most commonly cause infections such as impetigo, furunculosis, cellulitis, erysipelas, and lymphadenitis. These infections are superficial, but there is a risk of the bacteria invading the bloodstream and causing bacteremia. People who develop bacteremia are at risk of developing bacterial pneumonia, meningitis, arthritis, osteomyelitis, sepsis, shock, and death. Chickenpox lesions that are secondarily infected should be treated with antibiotics."

My guess is that is what happened. Stepson did send a picture of the rash/blotches and it is unnerving and not near a skin lesion. 

Happily they caught it early and he should be fine as long as the anti-biotic does its job.

He said to his Dad at the ER " If he was going to die, don't worry cos' I'll be a soul and I can fly around " Crying

• Gold Top Dog

Good vibes on the way!  Poor little dude.  As if chicken pox all by itself isn't miserable enough without having a complication.

Joyce

• Gold Top Dog
    Aww how miserable! But I am glad he is getting treatment poor little guy
    • Gold Top Dog

Puir wee mite -- he truly feels dreadful.  Cellulitis is most often strep -- and even MRSA is a type of strep.  Meaning there are 57 varieties of all the different bacteria

• Gold Top Dog

kpwlee
    He said to his Dad at the ER " If he was going to die, don't worry cos' I'll be a soul and I can fly around " Crying

Awww, that made me smile and choke up at the same time.

I'm glad it sounds like everything's going to be fine.  I hope he's not too miserable with itching and scratching.  I remember how awful the chicken pox were!