Miss Tango

• Gold Top Dog

Miss Tango

She's dying, I'm sure of it now... She took a turn for the worst this past weekend and its time to let her go. This will be the first cat in years that I've had to help cross the bridge and I pray I'm strong enough..
    • Gold Top Dog

I am so sorry!

When they have become really debilitated the blood vessels get beyond 'tiny' -- when you take her in, IF you want to be 'with' her, let them take her back FIRST and put in a catheter into the blood vessel FIRST.  Then they can bring her back out to you and THEN you can have some ACE or valium given to her *before* the euthanasia drug.

That is easier for her, easier for you.  You just hold her while she's asleep (if you want) but it is far far more peaceful.

It may cost you extra to have the catheter put in but I will never *ever* do it any other way.  There's no pain to them at all (and the euthanasia drug itself can scare them going in)

I truly truly am so sorry -- we all wish it would never come to this, but it does. 

Honestly -- if you really think you can't handle it -- don't try.  let the vet just take her.   Falling apart will only upset you and her both.  (I did that once -- which is why I'm telling you this -- I was unfair to that dog).  They don't want to "leave" us anyway (Particularly an animal you've had a long time.) - and it can really make it harder for them if we're crying and upset.  Yet we feel responsible to 'be' there.

Nothing about this is easy -- not ever.  *HUGS*

• Gold Top Dog

So sad, sending you hugs.  You will do what is best for Tango.

• Gold Top Dog
    Oh, I am so sorry. Miss Tango, I wish for you a gentle and peaceful crossing to the Bridge. ((((hugs))))
    • Gold Top Dog

I am so sorry. Thinking of you.

calliecritturs

I am so sorry!

When they have become really debilitated the blood vessels get beyond 'tiny' -- when you take her in, IF you want to be 'with' her, let them take her back FIRST and put in a catheter into the blood vessel FIRST.  Then they can bring her back out to you and THEN you can have some ACE or valium given to her *before* the euthanasia drug.

I don't understand why your vet wouldn't wait until after the sedative to put the catheter in. That's what they do for me anyway and have now for several years. They inject a sedative into the muscle. Your pet may feel a slight stinging but it won't last. Then they leave us alone for the 10 to 15 minutes that it takes the sedative to work. Then they put the catheter in and deliver the euthanasia drug. I have never asked them to do it that way, just the way they started doing it several years back. People might want to have a talk with their vets, previous to needing euthanasia, and find out how they do it and maybe ask them to do things a certain way. I know for Miss Tango you haven't had a chance to have the discussion before hand.

I always stay with our pets and I cry my eyes out. I know some think that one should not do that, as you are upsetting the animal. Can't help it but that has been the way I've done it and I will always be there with them. Since I've been reading a lot lately about people saying you shouldn't be with your pet, if you are going to upset him/her, I had to justify it some way and this is what I've come up with.....with me being so sad and upset, my pet is feeling like they are helping and comforting me and they feel good about that.... Might be a feeble reason but......

• Gold Top Dog

Maureen it would depend totally on how debilitated the animal was -- I've seen the vet do it both ways.  In Foxy's case he was still functioning mentally and he trusted my vets so it wasn't a problem.  Often there's already a catheter in -- and the big deal is the sedative FIRST before the euthanasia drug.

• Gold Top Dog
    I'm usually pretty good at keeping it together till I get home, then I bawl my eyes out. I have managed to get her to eat by bribing her with tuna...
    • Gold Top Dog
    It sounds like you're trying to put off the inevitable and though I can understand you having a hard time taking her in to be euthanized, it's not always the kindest thing to delay.  She's been sick and suffering for quite a while and she deserves a peaceful end to her life.  She could be in quite a bit of pain and not showing it as cats are much more stoic than dogs when it comes to pain. 
    • Gold Top Dog
    ^^^what Jackie said.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I'm trying to get the money together so I can let her go. I've got some christmas cash coming on friday and I'll be using that as my gift to her. I'm not keeping her here for my own selfish reasons.
    • Gold Top Dog
    If it were me, I'd beg, borrow or steal the money if my animal was suffering.   That's part of being a responsible pet owner.   Based on what you've posted here and the pics I saw on FB, Tango is suffering and dying a slow death.   I'm sure some will believe I'm being mean and uncaring but animals have no voice of their own. I don't think it's right and not saying something about a subject I feel strongly about doesn't sit well with me these days.
    • Gold Top Dog

I have borrowed money, it's being sent to me which is why I wait. The vet is well aware of what's going on and has given me some pain meds to help keep her comfy. She's not suffering to bad and if she were in pain, I'd know, she's a drama queen.

Really I just wanted people to keep her in their thoughts and help her with a peaceful passing this weekend, not to be judged when the full story isn't known.

• Gold Top Dog

I guess this information from almost 10 days ago is not to be believed: http://forum.dog.com/forums/t/119327.aspx

It is an extremely hard choice to put an animal companion down, but you really are giving them the dignity to die without further discomfort.

• Gold Top Dog
    It is the truth and the vet gave me some pain meds to help keep her comfy. Just metacam stuff. I never said I wasn't going to do it, I am. I just can't right now due to money reasons. Again I never said everything that's going on in that post, just the worse stuff. I'm reminded why I don't post for support anymore...
    • Gold Top Dog

I find it difficult to understand why people feel compelled to take on more animals than they can afford, especially at the expense of the pets already residing in the household. I'm sure you've heard the expression "don't get the pet if you can't afford the vet". If the info you posted on 12-9-12 is the worst stuff, then Tango has been left to linger too long, IMHO. If by support you mean people feeling sorry for your situation or telling you what you want to hear, well, I cannot provide that.

May Tango be released to a better place soon, free of her ailments, and whole once again.