Mom's still not doing well (Callie)

• Gold Top Dog

Oh gosh, I sure hope she's turning a corner and getting better!  Progress is a good thing and I hope she continues to progress in the right direction.  I know this has to be tough for her ....and you!

(((((CALLIE)))))

• Gold Top Dog
    Hoping that progress continues. (((HUGS)))
    • Gold Top Dog

She actually sustained a real conversation with me last night --- we talked about Mother's Day and what she wants to do in her garden if she can get strong enough.  She MADE supper last night for both -- her & Dad. 

But the fact that she willingly kept conversation going for several minutes is another big clue that she's progressing.  Thank you EVERYONE for your support and prayers for this. 

In the past the things I've dealt with for my folks have been "big" but typical things for them (heart problems, etc) -- but the fact that this was a relatively minor procedure that blew up into something truly life-threatening made it really hard. 

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Gold Top Dog
    I'm sorry I didn't see this thread earlier Callie but wanted to add my thoughts and prayers that your mom continues to get better.
    • Gold Top Dog

Callie, I'm glad to hear that you're feeling so much more encouraged after talking with your Mom and feeling she's finally turned a corner on the road to recovery.  It was my mother who had hernia surgery not too long ago -- and she had a really rough several days before she started to feel reasonably on the mend.  

Honestly, I think my Mom would've been better served if she had stayed in the hospital even one night.  But they do some of the "out-patient" procedures like it's nothing --- and maybe it is, for someone a bit younger.  But for patients like my mother or your mother, who are 75+, then their response to pain and healing may be slowed. 

Anyway, hopefully it's all good news from here on.  I'm sure you're relieved!

• Gold Top Dog

tacran
    Honestly, I think my Mom would've been better served if she had stayed in the hospital even one night.  But they do some of the "out-patient" procedures like it's nothing --- and maybe it is, for someone a bit younger.  But for patients like my mother or your mother, who are 75+, then their response to pain and healing may be slowed.

Tracy you are absolutely right -- I said to my Dad the morning Mom had the surgery -- literally they sedated her, did the surgery laproscopically, she spent 90 minutes in "recovery" -- her bed was wheeled back to her room, they had her get up and go to the bathroom AND DISCHARGED.  literally she was home "for lunch". 

In honesty, that just plain seems almost obscene.  About 5 weeks ago on one of her last dr. visits before the surgery -- the doctor palpated her HARD to massage some of the intestine "back into place" where it had bulged thru a muscle -- and he was afraid then if he left it, the intestine would go necrotic before the surgery.  She was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sore for weeks!!.  I knew then this would be no walk in the park. 

But yes -- *now* she is healing.

I got email 101 this morning on "Mother's Day Suggestions For You" -- that was 2 short 'lists' -- one for the "fashionista Mom" and the other for "tecchie Mom".

By the time I read both lists I was on the verge of hysteria. 

1. A Doonie & Bourke Handbag?? --

2.  So & So Heels (Not Jimmy Choo but similar)

3.    Apple Mini I-Pad

every single one on both lists was more and more ludicrous.  So I figured she needed a laugh as much as I did so I called her and I said "Mom-- there's undoubtedly something wrong with both of us cos I don't think there's a think on here I'd want to buy you for Mother's Day" (and in defense we already had "The Conversation" yesterday and she wants cash she can use to buy stuff for, pay for help with her garden).

So I started listing ... and yep:

"Doonie & who???   a WHAT??  Who're they?"

"Shoes?  I don't want you buying ME shoes -- how would we know if they fit?"

It was probably the best (and least painful) laugh she's had in 2 weeks -- and to be honest, THAT is what made me feel good. 

Tracy -- I didn't realize it was someone as close as your Mom -- that just shows how distracted I've been.   Thank you again for that!!

• Gold Top Dog

Yup, my mother was home from her surgery by mid-afternoon that day, too.  It's nuts.  Having to get in and out of a car, walking in her apartment to get comfortable and everything really shot the pain level up high (her friend was there, helping her get settled in an easy chair, etc.).  Being on hospital administered pain meds, in a hospital bed overnight and discharged the next morning would've made a world of difference.

Too funny about the Mother's Day gift list.  Can't imagine there'd be anything my Mom would want on those lists, either.  I usually send her a big box of her favorite See's Candies (filled with only 2 flavors she adores) and one other small gift.  This year I wanted to get her a small, portable TV for her kitchen table (like 9";), but I'm having trouble finding one that isn't a DVD player.  She just wants a tiny TV to watch the news while she eats breakfast and dinner at the table.

I'm glad your Mom got a laugh out of the gift list -- that definitely has to make you feel really good to hear the cheer in her voice.

• Gold Top Dog

tacran
    that definitely has to make you feel really good to hear the cheer in her voice.

Probably the one place my mother and I are "alike" is our weird sense of humor.  So yeah -- just hearing her find 'humor' in it was huge. 

• Gold Top Dog

Callie so happy to hear that things sound like your Mom is finally really feeling like she is on the mend.