Can my dogs sense my period?

• Bronze

Can my dogs sense my period?

Can my two year old male Pug Chewy who is not fixed sense when I'm about to have my period?  I ask because he only marks in the house around my time of the month and only around me.  Plus I hadn't had my period the last few months and he didn't mark inside once, but now I am getting ready to start my cycle and he tried to pee on a pillow next to me in bed and again when I was petting him on the floor.  He is more frisky with me and my other dog Pudge who is aso a male Pug.  This gets annoying because he won't leave me alone half the time.  Plus I don't want to play with him as much because he gets riled up and tries to mark.  We never got him fixed because he was the runt and had a rough puppyhood and the vet thought we should wait because he was so weak.  we can get him fixed now but I don't know if it will help much at this point.  

Does anyone know if he can tell when I am ready to mensturate and maybe that is why he is marking around me?  Please help!!!!!

Thanks, Sugarsandz

• Gold Top Dog

He can SMELL those changes in your body.  Definitely.

This is NOT good behavior to allow -- Neuter him a.s.a.p. -- it's better for him in the long run.  He shouldn't be bred anyway, and unneutered males are far more at risk for stuff like prostate cancer and particularlly things like perianal hernias. 

Part of his problem is he's trying to mark you as "property" -- man, he'd be on strict 'Nothing In Life Is Free" **and** he'd get neutered if he was at my house.  That is just *NOT* good behavior to allow.

If he's choosing to mark like this he's truly not fully housetrained.  Put him on a leash and leash him TO you 100% of the time -- and handle it just like you would a baby puppy.  No -- you don't go here -- OUTside ... *now*  You can't let him have any freedom until you can get it consistently thru to him that he is not welcome to mark in the house. 

Neutering will help this.

• Gold Top Dog

As you approach your menses your dog is very aware. Your body is throwing off not simply subtle odors but hormones which dogs are very sensitive to.  My foundation girl could sense when I was going to have a seizure based off the ketones in my breath.  Dog's sense of smell is so incredibly better than our own.

A puppy owner of mine recently asked if there was any chance her dogs knew she was expecting a baby. It was hard to not laugh, chances are far better they knew long before she had the first inkling !!

Callie gave you excellent advice regarding the altering of your boy. He should be reliably housebroken by now.  It is not going to get better if you allow his testosterone to think for him

• Bronze

I am going to be getting him fixed because I do worry about health problems. . .To answer weather or not he is completely house trained beyond his little issue is yes we don't have any other problems with him thankfully.  And I can't normally have a period so it hasn't been a problem until this week since I'm on pills to make me mensurate(sorry about talking about this). I am curious though, we have another male Pug, Pudge he is seven and was never altered either, I want to get him fixed to though he presents no problems, I just want to get it done because I don't want him to develop any issues down there but he is one of those dogs who has never been really healthy.  I'm just worried if the vet puts him out he might not wake up.  I know I sound like an overprotective parent which really I'm not but I do worry about him.  They have a vet app. soon, I'll bring it up with the Dr. 

About Pudge being unhealthy, he belonged to my husbands parents when they were still married(he was healthy then).  When they got divorced my husbands dad took him which I didn't like the idea of.  My husbands dad obviously beat him because he seems quite scared if he does anything wrong, he wasn't like that before.  His dad also let him outside with no supervision whatsoever and would just let him run off.  I even saw him with a chunk out of his neck from fighting with something when we went to visit his dad.  Pudge was also left alone for long periods of time and pottied all over the house and had bad separation problems.  And last but not least his dad smoked alot of weed infront of him daily and didn't always have food for him do to his drug problem. 

When my husband and I got married we told Terry(his dad) we wanted Pudge as a gift, though we really wanted to get him away from such a bad place.  He is a wonderful loving dog and it breaks my heart to know he was treated like that.  During his first vet check with us, the vet told us his vision was bad because of him having such dry eyes(like many flat faced dogs). . .he gets drops twice a day and cream in his nose wrinkles.  Plus he had a huge growth on his side that was raw and exposed that we had removed.  Bless his heart he is doing so much better now and is never alone.

sorry long story lol.

thanks for the advice, I agree its time to fix them both. . .

• Gold Top Dog

Whatever the reason for his marking indoors (other than a health issue) the answer is the same.  Houstraining 101, as Callie suggested.  I got your dogs a bit confused.  Is this the dog that was allowed to mark indoors at his previous home, as you posted elsewhere?

• Gold Top Dog

sugarsandz
    To answer weather or not he is completely house trained beyond his little issue is yes we don't have any other problems with him thankfully

When I say he's not completely housetrained I'm not trying to be cruel -- simply realistic.  (and look -- I have a pug too!!  They aren't the easiest dogs TO housetrain).  But housetraining is a complete "package" -- in order to be fully housetrained the dog truly has to "get it" -- that they only do that *outside* and never inside.

Now -- I tend to "communicate" with my dogs rather more than most folks.  If you have identified that the younger dog is marking in response to your cycle, then **if it were me** I'd acknowledge it but re-direct it.  If you catch him sniffing at you pointedly, or at your underwear THAT is the time to say to him "Chewy -- I **hear** you. Yes, Mommy smells funny.  Thanks for telling me but you gotta pee **outside** Let's go!"  Use his nose-interest as a simple effort on his part to tell you something, acknolwedge him but THEN take him outside.  He's smart - he'll probably get the connection.  But when he does mark, treat it as something undesirable. 

In fact, if I were you, I'd show him the pills you take and show him you ARE taking them to do exactly what he's smelling.  Let him know it's a GOOD thing, not a bad thing.  But that he can tell you and that's fine, but don't pee in the house! You KNOW.  That's all he needs to do.  (Then be ultra conscious of when he DOES sniff you ... so you can acknowledge it and thank him.  they really DO respond to that.)

This is how you take a dog who has a sensitive nose and a personal interest in you, and begin to train them to **be** better communicators.  Just like Bonita's Jasmine could assess the potential for a seizure because Mom smelled the way she does when something is going to happen that's bad.. 

Regarding Pudge -- I understand your concern, but he'll likely be healthier neutered than not.  Before you have your vet neuter him, have him do some bloodwork.  Discuss carefully with the vet what sedative/anesthesia combo he'll use.  My vet will often simply mask the dog down rather than sedating it first.  The sedative prior to the anesthesia is merely to get the dog to not resist the mask and it can make the procedure easier on the dog to *not* sedate it first.  Your vet may or may not be "ok" with that, but it surely wouldn't hurt to discuss it with him. 

Pugs are incredible little dogs.  My Tinkerbell is training to be a therapy dog.  She, too, came from a really difficult beginning (she was horribly neglected and nearly died from demodectic mange because it wasn't treated and she was left out in 105 degree heat because the owner thought she was 'stinky'.  Pugs, for exactly that reason of being bracheocephalic, do *NOT* do well in hot weather.

It was quite a lengthy road to healing for her -- but, they are also courageous and strong little dogs.  And along the way, she's simply become incredibly loving and quite sensitive.  When she's around sick children she literally senses when they are unwell and she will literally go limp in order to not frighten a scared child.

It sounds like both your dogs are truly fortunate to have a good and loving home.  Pudge will gain strength -- and truly, sight is the least of their senses.  Having a home where they are loved and get good food and care -- it can make all the difference.  And neutering them will likely give both of them a better chance at longevity. 

• Bronze

Everyone! thank you very much for the input, i am going to start working with him strait away! also to answer Chewy isn't the one who was allowed to potty indoors, that's Pudge and he is excellent with the potty stuff. . .again thanks very much for the help, I'll post how it turns out which will be good  Big Smile

• Gold Top Dog

As far as sedating them, I've had VERY ill dogs sedated, on several occasions. As long as their liver and kidney values are ok, my vet doesn't worry. If the liver and kidney values are off, he does extra special care. I, personally, have not lost a dog to anesthesia, yet. I did have an elderly Dachshund (she was like 10000) get chilled, and wake up extra slowly, and stay groggy for a couple of days, but she made it through and lived for another year. With all of the medical testing and awesome monitering equipment we have available, it isn't nearly the risk that it once was. It is *still* a risk, but discuss it with your vet. It's probably more of a risk that your dogs will end up with prostate or testicular issues due to being intact for so long.