Dog's eating habits suddenly changed

• Gold Top Dog

Dog's eating habits suddenly changed

We adopted Brutus one year ago yesterday, and from the very first day he was a big ol' eater. He's an American Bulldog, healthy weight, healthy coat, ate EVO red meat up until about 3 months ago, when I found out about, and switched to Taste of the Wild. Both my dogs immediately loved it, as it contains the same ingredients as EVO red meat.

Either way, about a week ago, I went through my morning routine of feeding the dogs, setting Brutus' bowl down first, and my other dogs afterward. Brutus always sits patiently for me to put his food down and immediately begins chowing down. That morning, he didn't immediately begin to eat, so I put my other dogs down, and told her to eat. In the year that we have had him, they have fought about their food twice-within the first 2 months of them being together, and Brutus has developed certain habits like laying down and waiting for my other dog to finish her food as well before he walks past her, and things like that.

But this morning, when Olive (my other dog) started eating, Brutus still wouldn't eat. It took him awhile, but he eventually started eating, but did not finish about a handful of food. I checked his teeth and mouth for anything out of the ordinary, but found nothing. He has continued this pattern, hesitating to eat, sometimes laying down for a moment before starting, and leaving a handful of food in his bowl. Olive has gone over to his bowl at a later point in the day, and eaten the rest of the food while Brutus watches, nearly every day it has happened. Today when I came home for lunch, I watched as she went to the bowl, ate the rest of Brutus' food, he watched, and then went over to it afterward to see if any was left for him.

I guess I am confused by this, because I can't tell if this is a psychological thing or if I should be concerned about his health, etc. Maybe there is no answer, but I just wanted to see if anyone else could give their perspective.

thanks!

• Gold Top Dog
    I'd go get bloodwork done. A big eater who isn't eating? I'd spend $50 just for peace of mind.
    • Gold Top Dog

Absolutely what Megan says -- ALWAYS investigate a health issue first (particularly since the other dog is eating it fine and it's not likely it's a 'bad' bag or something).  Sometimes  it can be a bath tooth or similar but still have the vet take a look and do bloodwork -- SOMETIMES the only sign you get is reluctance to eat.

• Gold Top Dog

Sounds like he doesn't feel well...  The vet will do an exam, check his temp and needed tests to help diagnose. Bring in a stool sample as well. Getting his weight checked also helps to measure his health status. (if he loses weight you have a clue)

Think about the recent events that may have led up to whatever is going on and bring that info/ to your vet to help with health care regimen.

How long has he been sick, any other animals sick in your home or neighbors dogs? 

• Gold Top Dog

Since it has been a few days, the first thing I would do is check in with your vet.  Next, I would try switching back to the previous food to see if the dog accepts it.  Even a subtle change in one ingredient makes some dogs that have an allergy or adverse reaction such as stomach ache refuse a food.  I would feed also feed these dogs separately (in separate rooms with a closed door between) on the off chance that one dog is intimidating the other into not touching his food.  That intimidation can be very subtle sometimes, and humans might not notice the momentary freeze or turned whisker, so to speak.

• Gold Top Dog

I agree with the idea of a vet check.

However, my dogs sometimes just decide that they are tired of a particular food.

• Puppy

Hi - My 5 year old mini golden doodle used to gobble down his foot. For the last 2 days however, he barely finishes it. AND he seems to be carefully chewing it. 2 things that I'm aware of:  1) 3 days ago I brushed his teeth a little too vigorously and caused minor bleeding in one part of his mouth. 2) yesterday he vomited so I'm guessing he ate something that didn't agree with him. My instinct is to wait a couple days before taking him to the vet. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.