Biting Zoomies

• Gold Top Dog

Biting Zoomies

Well, my dear little Gibson just started doing zoomies at the ripe age of 12 weeks.  I was wondering if he was ever gonna do them.

But unfortunately he has a new twist to the zoomies.... as he runs by BITES!   Oh...yes..even jumping up on you and taking a bite as you run past.   Gees.... I'm not sure how to stop it. Its hard to make sense out of a dog doing zoomies period...much less this.  I was so mad I pinned him down and held his mouth shut until he stopped squirming...but how long am I going to be able to do that?  Another 2 weeks maybe! 

Hoping someone else had a dog that did this...and have some suggestion.  I have to say..when he did it tonight...he was over tired...ended up laying down immediately after and fell asleep.   

• Gold Top Dog

Oh yeah, been there, done that, had bruises from knees to ankles for about 2 months!  Woobie went through a terrible period of those attack zoomies.  You could tell he thought it was the greatest game in the world and wasn't being mean or aggressive.  I tried alpha rolls, pressing down on his tongue to make him gag when he nipped, scruffing him, etc etc etc...  The thing that finally worked for us was kind of goofy but it seemed to do the trick.  When he nipped, I yelped NO! in a really high-pitched pained voice and immediately locked myself in the bathroom.  Big Smile  It was the only place I could get away with him and disappear completely and if I didn't put a physical barrier between he and I he just would not stop.  It seemed to send the signal that the fun game he was enjoying immediately ended when his teeth touched my skin.  Took a couple weeks but each day it got a little better.  He moved to just doing the zoomie and coming really close to my leg but not actually nipping.  I also did alot of encouraging him to tug with me and he'd zoomie with the tug in his mouth and would shake it at me to get me to play.

Good luck & Wear Shinguards!  LOL 

• Gold Top Dog
    Ohhhh Rory loves to do biting zoomies. i think it's hysterical! She doesnt really bite us so much anymore (shes a year) but just comes in real close. The times she does bite, she doesnt actually close down hard, you can tell it's very controlled. I just tell her "nice" & I will YOUCH if it did hurt, so she knows. If she starts to get too out of control or whatever, I'll just leave the room or just sit down and it seems to calm her down. And usually she does these crazy biting zoomies and then she's out like a light. It's like the last little burst of energy before bed. LOL I wish I had more to offer. Good luck.
    • Gold Top Dog

Yeah yeah......sound familiar!   He sure did do it after being over tired and plopped right down and went fast asleep after he was done!  I wish I could say his was controlled though...

I do yell OUCH.....when when he bites while playing........but these zoomie things...surprised me to begin with.  But I guess I will stick with it and still yell OUCH!!   Ha...not hard to do when he hurts!

I'm glad you guys answered...thank you!   Nice to know he is not being totally unusual!

• Gold Top Dog

My Dad's newest hunting hound does this. I was watching them last week and I just opened the back door and ran outside to get him to chase me and then I locked his butt outside, LOL! His face was priceless!! He went from "wwweeeeee" to "hey I was showing off for you" and the saddest face. I opened the door and was like are you done? Lil brat!

So the next time he tried it after his bath which is prime time for zoomies I opened the door and yelled "outside". He stopped, LOL!

My lil brother used to throw a balnkie over Rory's head....it was mean but oh so funny. She would get so mad!

I wish I had better advice

• Gold Top Dog

Geez....I sure hope he learns to NOT do it before he gets bigger.....  Bubby used to do zoomies all the time...so did Ollie....but sure not with biting.