Spayed Female Gets "Horny"?

• Gold Top Dog

Spayed Female Gets "Horny"?

Okay, so this is going to be a bit embarrassing to talk about, because we're humans and not dogs, and we have taboos, and dogs don't!

In any case, Mercy (our beagle/foxhound? mix) is a 4 year old spayed girl who apparently loves to lick her behind! Her vet says she's got a clean bill of health (including any possible worms or irritations back there). We think she gets real pleasure out of it--she even got one of the other dogs to lick her! She acts like she's "humping" something when she does it...

So she's neutered, but that just means she hasn't got any uterus or ovaries anymore; everything else is intact... So do dogs get pleasure out of sex, just like humans do? And could Mercy be... well, getting horny?

Yeah... I said it was an embarrassing question. But I'm just so darn curious!

Oh, by the way, for anyone who saw the "How to Foil a Canine Houdini" topic I had a while back, her owner has actually managed to crate-train Mercy; so she's now an indoor dog! I gave her an article about Beagle-training, and the idea of positive training clicked with her; so she used encouragement to get Mercy into the crate, and now she goes in when you stand by it and say "Mercy, crate". The weird thing is that she still puts Mercy in the crate for punishment; except when it's for punishment, she drags Mercy into it and scolds her. This morning she said she might have to find a different way to punish Mercy because she was getting used to the crate.

We've had accidents, but all of them are in the same spot--in front of the door--and all when no one is around to watch her and she gets lonely... So if she's in the crate when we're gone, she waits until she's let out. I don't like her not getting much exercise; but we're all walking her more often, so that should be about the same.

Yay for the Beagle (mix) girl! :)
    • Gold Top Dog
    Animals dont have sex "just for the pleasure" they do it for reproduction only, if she is spayed she wont feel the need or desire of having sex anymore (that exactly one of the reasons to do that procedure), the hormones that affect the brain with reproduction desire wont be there anymore, a vasectomy in a man is not the same as a dog being neutered
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: espencer

Animals dont have sex "just for the pleasure" they do it for reproduction only, if she is spayed she wont feel the need or desire of having sex anymore (that exactly one of the reasons to do that procedure), the hormones that affect the brain with reproduction desire wont be there anymore, a vasectomy in a man is not the same as a dog being neutered

On the contrary, you will often find that some animals will masturbate themselves for pleasure.  We had a male pekingnese that did this from the age of about 14 months until he died at age 11.   One of my friends that breeds Pharaoh Hounds has two females that constantly lick their vulvas in a masturbatory fashion. 

As far as being spayed, that will not affect a female in the same way it affects a male. 

So to answer your question:  Yes dogs can get pleasure out of sex.  If it wasn't pleasurable to have sex, most animals, wouldn't respond to that urge (humans included.)  She could indeed be getting "horny" and I don't think there's any real harm in it.  If it irritates you, you could always redirect her attention to something more.. presentable.
    • Gold Top Dog
    she is just being a dog.  Train an interupt behavior command like "that will do",  stop;  quit;
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: Xerxes

On the contrary, you will often find that some animals will masturbate themselves for pleasure.  We had a male pekingnese that did this from the age of about 14 months until he died at age 11.   One of my friends that breeds Pharaoh Hounds has two females that constantly lick their vulvas in a masturbatory fashion. 

As far as being spayed, that will not affect a female in the same way it affects a male. 

So to answer your question:  Yes dogs can get pleasure out of sex.  If it wasn't pleasurable to have sex, most animals, wouldn't respond to that urge (humans included.)  She could indeed be getting "horny" and I don't think there's any real harm in it.  If it irritates you, you could always redirect her attention to something more.. presentable.

Well i didnt say they didnt feel good everytime they have sex, but they just dont have sex just to have it

The only reason they have sex is for breeding, when they are neutered or spayed the sexual desire goes away
    • Gold Top Dog
    Humping is not only a sexual behavior, it's also a status related behavior.  As mrv said, just dogs being dogs.
    • Silver
    dolphins are the only other speices of animal that have sex for pleasure as well as reproduction
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: biohazard

dolphins are the only other speices of animal that have sex for pleasure as well as reproduction

Research the "Bonobos" before you say that. 
    • Gold Top Dog
    Research the "Bonobos" before you say that.

Bonobos are insane!  Seriously,  my stepdaughter had to watch a 60 minute bobobo sex video 2 weeks ago for anthropology class...INSANE!!!
    • Gold Top Dog
    I had no idea so decided to google it.  I found this website, go to the sex for pleasure section.  I think the verdict is still out..  

[linkhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_sexuality]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_sexuality[/link]
    • Silver
    im just going by what i heard in sex ed, i stand corrected