Need help finding a dog behaviorist in Eastern PA

• Gold Top Dog

Need help finding a dog behaviorist in Eastern PA

Some of you have been following my thread about Trixie in this forum ("HELP please -crying and crying";). We are dealing with fear agression and resource guarding.

I am trying to find a reliable trainer in my area who deals with these issues. We live in Downingtown, PA. Towns around us are Coatesville, Exton, Malvern, West Chester, Glenmoore, Thorndale, Frazer, Lionville, Kennett Square, Paoli, King of Prussia and more.

In case any of you are familiar with any of these trainers, I would love some opinions. I called my vet (on vacation though), SPCA, rescue where we got Trixie, Obedience school she went to, and I looked on internet. There are places in Philadelphia but I don't know if they come to the house and I won't take her somewhere unfamiliar. How far do trainers usually travel?

I would prefer a female because she is better with them. And what is the best certification for them to have? There seems to be so many.

Vicki Wooters (Wooters Dog Training)
    Katharine Bullock
    Bob Stick
    Greg Rohle
    Main Line Dog Training
    Hands on Hounds
    Bark Busters
    David Cugno

Thanks!
    • Gold Top Dog
    Coming to you just as a regular dog owner and consumer like yourself...

I was only able to find a few of those folks on the web but a couple things did stand out. I liked Vicki Wooters because she went in to some detail about her training philosophy and background, and also indicated that she'd been to workshops with a great number of highly respected trainers and she named names. I like that. I was not so impressed with David Cugno and his training center because it seemed very vague as to what they actually DO with the dogs. I'm always kind of leery of that. Maybe it's just an oversight on their web page, I don't know. I also don't like the insinuations that they've developed some sort of unique training system, because that opens the door to "I can't tell you what I'm doing or why, it's proprietary, so just trust me." Main Line Dog Training has a trainer on staff with a PsyD, which is nice, but I was unable to find out any more information about them.

Bark Busters I'd stay far, far away from. It's a national franchise and their trainers are of wildly varying quality.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I lived in Exton when I was a kid! [:)] I have fond memories of eating mullberries and riding a wagon downhill into a pricker bush (ouch!).

When you have it narrowed down to a couple of professionals whose credentials sound good to you, I'd recommend making arrangements to go watch them actually working with a dog, perhaps sitting in on a class they offer. Since so much is about personality and getting the right feel, or fit, having the chance to see them in action is important.

Wishing you the best!
    • Gold Top Dog
    Like houndlove, I liked Vicki Wooters the best too.

I also went through the [linkAnimal>http://abs.animalbehavior.org/ABSAppliedBehavior/caab-directory]Animal Behavior Society directory[/link] and found a certified behaviorist in Kennett Square, PA. You might want to check her out. I wasn't sure if I could cut and paste her info here, so just click on the link and scroll down to Sue M. McDonnell, Ph.D. (I'm not sure if she works specifically with dogs though.) You might also want to check out Karen Overall, VMD, Ph.D. in Philadelphia, PA.
    • Gold Top Dog
    What I looked for in a trainer/behaviorist:

1) Not afraid to answer questions, even over the phone
    2) Wanted to know **everything** about the dog and its behavior - the one I ended up going with even asked what type of food was fed!
    3) Good listener. You don't want someone who gives you a "pre-packaged" response instead of really listening to fit the training to your particular situation.
    4) Lots of experience with your particular problem - if you mention "biting" or "aggression" and the trainer starts getting nervous, you might want to ask about past experience or look elsewhere
    5) Wants to meet with your *entire* family. This is really important! Everyone in the household has to be on board with the training.
    6) Does some sort of non-training-related dog activities. This isn't a requirement, but to me signals a deep interest in dogs beyond pure business. Maybe they teach beginning agility classes, or do showing, or are involved in rescue, or do pet therapy. I wouldn't cross someone out because they didn't do this, but if they do, it's a plus in my book!

Some "letters" that can be good - APDT (American Pet Dog Trainer), IAABC (International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants), possibly an AKC approved CGC evaluator (not necessary, but a good "bonus point")

Either my method worked or I just got lucky - the person I ended up going with was wonderful, and I found her randomly just by driving by her office and then doing some research online!

In your position, what I would do is narrow your list down to 5-10 that you think look good, write a sort of "form email" describing your situation, and then see who responds and what they say. Ask what sort of methods they would probably use.

I couldn't find many of those either, I'm curious - how did you come up with those particular names? Have you tried checking out the IAABC regional listings yet?
    • Gold Top Dog
    Take mondayblues advice.  Do NOT use barkbusters.  If you are anywhere near this person, call her (if you aren't close, maybe she can refer you):*  Credentials are not always important, but the people with CPDT and/or CDBC have had to pass a test.  I know at least one person who has all the credentials, but only a  year or two of experience.  I also know people who have no credential and thirty years of experience.  And, there are people from each group who know crap LOL.  But, my suggestion is to ask about the person's methods.  If you hear choke chain, slip collar, or e-collar as a piece of equipment right off the bat, stay away.  There is no mystery, no silver bullet.  These dogs need behavior modification combined with training, and you need instruction on how to manage the dog day to day.  If you can, go watch the person in a class or consultation - if anything makes you uncomfortable, don't use that person.
    There is almost never a reason to become aggressive with an aggressive dog in order to modify its behavior.  If you have to do that, you are probably not dealing with a dog that is safe for family life. 
    Go here for more info on aggression:
    [linkhttp://www.k9aggression.com]www.k9aggression.com[/link]
    Go here for positive trainers:
    [linkhttp://www.peaceablepaws.com]www.peaceablepaws.com[/link]
    Go to the Animal Behavior Society web page for a qualified behaviorist.

*Melinda Berger CPDT, CDBC Dream Dogs LLC Training that you and your Dog will Love! Newtown, PA [linkhttp://www.dreamdogsonline.com/] [/link][linkhttp://www.dreamdogsonline.com]http://www.dreamdogsonline.com[/link] 215.906.9229

• Gold Top Dog
    I think the biggest key with the behaviorist, like Spiritdogs said, is your comfort level.  If you are not comfortable with the behaviorist/trainer then the results you get will not be optimum.

Good luck and keep us posted!
    • Gold Top Dog
    Thanks for the advice, it was definitely needed.

I called Vicki Wooters (Wooters dog training). Her methods sounded good, but to tell you the truth, she seemed a bit rushed and I wasn't entirely comfortable with her. She also told me that it wasn't necessary for my children to be present at the visit. I would think she would want to see everyone.

I am still researching. I really want to get someone from the University of Pennsylvania - I talked to one woman who sounded great and professional - but she said we had to come to the city (45 minutes away with a dog who throws up in the car and doesn't do well in new places). Wouldn't it be better for someone to see her in her own environment?
    • Gold Top Dog
    She also told me that it wasn't necessary for my children to be present at the visit. I would think she would want to see everyone.

I would think so too!

Wouldn't it be better for someone to see her in her own environment?

I think you're right there also.