can alcohol (smell of) make a dog aggressive

• Bronze

can alcohol (smell of) make a dog aggressive

Here's the situation, I have a friend who with his live in girlfriend have rasied two (corgies?) dogs (male and female) since pups.
    In the last couple of years, the male dog has bit the girlfriend 5 times.  3 of those 5 times the girlfriend was drunk.  All 5 of those times, the boyfriend (my friend) was not present.  There are no children in the house.  The dog can't be older than 6 years.
    So my question, is can the dog sense alcohol on the girlfriend and can this aggravate the dog and cause the behavior? 
    • Gold Top Dog
    The only time i have heard of this was with a dog that was abused by its owner when he was drunk.After the dog was rehomed he would get very upset when someone was drinking or even at the sight of a beer bottle.
    • Bronze
    I know it's a stretch of the imagination ... I just know a human can sense when another human is drunk and the behavior of a drunk:  being louder, unsteady, unpredictable movements, a "heavier" foot/hand, etc.  can cause uneasiness. 
    • Gold Top Dog
    I'd say it was more likely the girlfriend's unstable behavior or inappropriate handling of the dog while she was drunk, which got her bitten.

I don't doubt that dogs who live in the constant, unpredictable, roller coaster world of people who drink do eventually learn to associate the smell of alcohol with unstable, inappropriate, and/or threatening human behavior.
    • Bronze
    So, if this behavior could be tied to drunken girlfriend ... is this "excusable" and "fixable"
    (I'm not a big dog-knowledge person, so don't mind the poor use of adjectives here)
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: jaimie_walter

So, if this behavior could be tied to drunken girlfriend ... is this "excusable" and "fixable"
    (I'm not a big dog-knowledge person, so don't mind the poor use of adjectives here)

Personally, I'd rather deal with a biting dog than a drunk. [8D]

Get rid of the booze and bring in a behaviorist, would be my recommendation. [;)]
    • Gold Top Dog

Yeah, but only on the dogs part. 
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: willowchow

Good point! [:D]
    • Gold Top Dog
    On the GF's part, not "excusable" but still "fixable."

It's hard to say about the dog. I strongly strongly recommend seeking a professional behaviorist - nobody will be able to really tell you whether or not your dog is dangerous unless they are well-trained and able to see your dog's behavior.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Eevee was put through physical and mental abuse when my dad and stepmom got drunk and beat the crap out of each other... now when I have a drink, she gets nervous/clingy and I have to reassure her...
    • Gold Top Dog
    I very rarely drink.  When I do have a drink, Rocky always has to check out what I'm drinking.  He smells it, then he growls and snaps at the bottle.  He has never bit me.  He reacts the same way to spicey foods.  I have never figured out why he does.  My other dogs, love the smell of beer.[:'(]  I usually have mixed drinks.  The girlfriend might have gotten rough with the dog while she was drunk and caused this reaction.
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: willowchow

Not true.  Send the dog to a trainer, send the girl to AA. [;)]