Puppy won't let my husband take her out in morning...

• Gold Top Dog

Puppy won't let my husband take her out in morning...

Every morning my husband gets up at 6:30, and he used to take her out as soon as he gets up. For the past month when our dog Mya (an 8 month old siberian husky) gets up, she won't let my husband take her out. He has tried everything to get her to go downstairs with him to take her out but she always turns around and runs back upstairs. Then she stands at the edge of the bed and just whines and barks untill I get up to take her out.

This morning my husband managed to get her outside to go after he got up but as soon as she came back inside she came back to the bed and just whined. I just ignored her because I figured thats the only way she will learn and I laid there for almost 40 minutes while she just whined and barked because I didn't want to give in because then she will know that she can just keep doing that and I will eventually give in. I had my husband come distract her while I got up. Please help, I'm not a morning person and I don't have to get up untill at least 7:30 for when my husband leaves so how do I get her to leave me alone?!
    • Gold Top Dog
    It sounds like your husband needs to develop a much stronger bond with the dog. Try having him take over as much of the doggie duties as possible while you ignore the dog for a couple of weeks. Have your husband practice Nothing in Life is Free (google it or search the forums for more help). Everything great in your dog's life needs to come from your husband for a little while. With a little help, your dog will soon realize that you are not the only Provider of Good Things and that your husband is worthy of respect and attention, too (at least sometimes!).
    • Gold Top Dog
    put her on a drag line
    • Gold Top Dog
    Huskies are perceptive and sensitive.  There may be a manner she is not enjoying in the walk with your husband.  Tone of voice, and manner of walk and how husband deals with her may be not as pleasant as how you do this?

Is this a Siberian or an Alaskan?  At any rate, at 8 mos old, you want to work with her so you don't create problems.  Generally, Siberians love all the people in your home (and outside too). So, I would make sure that you are using happy voice and gentle controls with the leash.  "Popping" can cause a disagreeable feeling in your girl, and she may become adverse to the "walk" altogether. 

The Other End of the Leash by Patricia McConnell is a wonderfully written book with an excellent point of view that you and husband should both read.  Helpful and understanding pov will improve your relationship.
    • Gold Top Dog
    at 8 months old she might be going through her late adolescent fear period. If she doesn't trust or feel confidence in your husband, she might be afraid to go outside without you.

• Gold Top Dog
    Bingo to what dogslife and mudpuppy have said.  mrv's suggestion is good, too.  That way, big scary hubby doesn't have to reach over her to grab her collar.  Instead, he can simply step on the lead and quietly and gently pick up the end.  You may want to try making hubby the primary caretaker of the dog for a couple of weeks.  If she gets all her treats, meals & outdoor time from him, it might make him more of a leader to her - someone she can trust.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Something is scaring her about walks with hubby . . . have you talked to him about what is going on when he does take her out, especially in the couple days before she started refusing to go?  Did they encounter something or someone that scared her?  (An aggressive dog, a loud piece of construction equiptment, a scary person)?  Does hubby jerk her around on leash, or yell at her or do anything that might scare her?  I think you need to find this stuff out so you can address the source of her fear.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I am not so sure I would say it is fear based.... could be "I dont wanna"
    • Gold Top Dog
    I am not so sure I would say it is fear based.... could be "I dont wanna"

Could very well be, Huskies are known to have a stubborn streak.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Thanks for all your input. She is a siberian not an alaskan. We put a drag line on her during the day but we take it off at night when she sleeps. My husbands not home alot which is probably why she is doing this. He leaves at 7:30 in the morning and usually doesn't get home untill 12:30 at night, he's working full time and going to school. He just takes her out to the bathroom in the morning, I'm the one that takes her for walks, sometimes if we are both home at the same time we will all go on a walk together.
    It would make sense for him to get a better bond with her but it would be kind of difficult for him to do until he's done with school in august. I wasn't sure if it was any part seperation anxiety that she didn;t want to be away from me or not?
    • Gold Top Dog
    Your husbands schedule sounds stressful. 

If your husband is working those long hours, you should leave her in her crate til you can get up and bring her out.  Sounds like he has enough to do already just to get out the door.

Your husky is probably as sweet as mine.  They respond extremely well to admiration, sweet talk and shoulder rubs, scratches. And they respond with happy vocalizations. In fact we joke about it.  It is as though they need admiration more than they need food! 

I honestly think that your pup is just in need of consistant training and care.  But the care part needs to be caring.  If husband is looking at this as another chore added to the extremely long day he already has...must not be fun for husband.  And the dog is not comfortable.  Siberians are the dogs with the most sense of humor I have ever seen. They wake up happy. If they are not having fun, they feel depressed. Nothing more sad than a depressed husky.  But they will tell you with their own special talk.  One of the single most endearing things about them.

Try out that book - The Other End of the Leash.  It is really a neat book.  Fun to read!
    • Gold Top Dog
    Thanks for all your input. She is a siberian not an alaskan. We put a drag line on her during the day but we take it off at night when she sleeps. My husbands not home alot which is probably why she is doing this. He leaves at 7:30 in the morning and usually doesn't get home untill 12:30 at night, he's working full time and going to school. He just takes her out to the bathroom in the morning, I'm the one that takes her for walks, sometimes if we are both home at the same time we will all go on a walk together.
    It would make sense for him to get a better bond with her but it would be kind of difficult for him to do until he's done with school in august. I wasn't sure if it was any part seperation anxiety that she didn;t want to be away from me or not?

I was reading this and thinking that your husband taking her out in the morning is probably a rush-rush situation, and she is not taking to it too well.......so, then she goes on walks with you and they are way more fun.

August is only a few months away, and I am sure once your hubby has some positive time like play time and good walks, yummy treats and cuddling time, that will turn things around.[;)]
    • Gold Top Dog
    Sounds like a rough situation. Still, as the three of you are living in the same house, nothing but good can come from your husband and your dog bonding with each other a little more. It will certainly be easier in August, but you can still start early!

When all three of you go for walks, try to let your husband hold the leash. Then (and this is the hard part!!) don't grab it back! [;)]

Does your husband give the dog treats? Every now and then, have him ask the dog to do something (sit, down, stay, whatever your dog knows really really really well) and then give him a treat when he complies. (The dog, not the husband. Well, maybe your husband should get treats too!)

If you have an extra tasty treat for your dog, try saving it for a time when your husband can give it to him.

Basically what you want to do is build trust and respect so your dog sees you and your husband as equally worthy of obedience.

I know this is easier said than done, I'm currently struggling with my BF and these sorts of things, but hopefully that will be a good start for you guys.