Lots of toys, still steals shoes and underwear??

• Gold Top Dog

Lots of toys, still steals shoes and underwear??

Our puppy has more toys than you can shake a stick at (no pun intended) yet he continues to take our underwear, socks, shoes.

He definitely knows he shouldn't has he stares at you and when you say no and go to grab it, he takes off. I try not to chase him, so he doesn't think it's a game, but how do you get him to stop and drop?
    • Gold Top Dog
    The easiest way to solve this problem is to not leave your clothing where the pup can get it.
    • Gold Top Dog
    LOL! It's amazing how much sense that makes. We bought a hamper with a latch on it, yet he is still finding ways to get in there.

How to get him to come though when told. He does everytime, except when having something in his mouth.
    • Gold Top Dog
    The key to a reliable "come" is to NEVER use the word unless you can enforce it.  If this is something that is happening a lot, then let him drag a leash.
    • Gold Top Dog
    That's the same thing our trainer told us. It is happening more these days, I say he's reached his terrible 2's. LOL! I will definitely try that, as I want to kick the habit now.

Thanks a bunch glenmar.
    • Gold Top Dog
    My dear, you are talking to a puppy "expert".....we foster and I've had more chewing pups under foot than I care to count!!
    • Gold Top Dog
    That's amazing, I hope to one day foster pups and resue dogs. As for now, we do all the charities for our local rescue shelter.

Our new little guy is actually extremely smart, but he has a little bit of dominate side to him and trys to challenge I think. Other than the stealing and running, he has been a pleasant surprise to say the least.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Be careful with that fostering stuff.....I'm a complete failure at it and have THREE newer additions that I sure didn't intend to ever have! [:D]
    • Puppy
    Sometimes if you grab a sqweeky toy of his and start to play with it and run the other way they will come and cheak it out.  Then trade the toy for the underwear.  Also, enjoy these times while they last.  In
    • Gold Top Dog
    Darling Misty cannot resist my teenage daughter's thongs.  If darling daughter's door to her sty (read:  bedroom) is left open, the little one will run in and grab a pair and run like heck.  Drives daughter nuts.  I'm trying to use it as a lesson in PICK UP YOUR CLOTHES.  So far it's not working. 

With any dog I've ever owned, I've found the best way to keep them from chewing something is to deny them access to it.  Otherwise, you drive yourself nutty.  There was even a time when I had to fold under the edges of my oriental carpets until I got Misty trained that the fringes were not her toys.  You do whatcha gotta do. 
    • Gold Top Dog
    when you say no and go to grab it, he takes off.

Of course - but he doesn't know he shouldn't take socks.  All he knows is socks are nice to chew on, they smell like his fave people.
    And, he knows, once you go to grab the sock, that it is a really valuable thing... why wouldn't he want to keep such a prize? [:D]

Instead of chasing, or grabbing (good thing he seems like a nice pup - this can make some dogs turn into resource guarders and biters), try teaching your pup to "trade".  Go to the cookie jar, grab a treat and make a big deal out of what you have.  "Trade?" is what you can say as you show puppy the food.  With luck, he spits the sock out to grab the roast beef, and you are on your way to teaching him to give stuff back to you.
    My hound finds all my lost socks that I used to think were lost in the dryer...and brings them to the kitchen!

• Puppy
    excellent advice spiritdogs.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Dirty socks and underwear just taste and smell soooo much yummier than sticks and squeaky toys! [:D]  Max used to be the same way (not so bad now) and DH was famous for taking off his shoes, putting the socks in them and leaving them on the coffee table. I finally told DH that there were only 3 places his socks should be - on his feet, in the dirty clothes hamper or in his sock drawer.  Socks left anyplace else would be*fair game* and so would the shoes.

Joyce & Max
    • Gold Top Dog
    Re: "Dirty socks and underwear just taste and smell soooo much yummier than sticks and squeaky toys!" )fuzzy_dogs_mom)

And they are twice as yummy when your mother in law comes to visit![&:]
    • Gold Top Dog
    hahahha..........it's cute!  JJ loves to take my socks and chew on them.  Agree, the best way is to keep it away from your dog and not let it be in a area in which they can reach for it.