Can anyone help me with my 8 month old Pomeranian and her habit of running away!?

• Bronze

Can anyone help me with my 8 month old Pomeranian and her habit of running away!?

I am desperate for help, if anyone can help me out with this minor issue with my 8 month old 6 lb Pomeranian. She is a perfect dog. She is affectionate she is well behaved, doesn't bite doesn't chew anything up, and is every 95% potty trained. Here is the issue that she does have though. She runs away from us if she is on the ground and we come close to pick her up. She does not have a problem being close to us, she actually jumps all over us when we play with her, but God forbid we try to pick her up, she runs away like her life depends on it. At the beginning it was cute and we laughed it off, but now its becoming a big problem. First and foremost we have trained her to answer to "Potty?" when she has to go out and even when she is barking to let us know she has to go out, she runs when we try to pick her up. While we are chasing after her to pick her up she ends up unable to hold it any longer and goes in the house resulting in correction. Number 2 she has done damage to herself and our home because of this problem. She knocks her head a lot and jumps off of things that are too high just to get away. Thus far no serious injuries have occurred but I'm dreading the inevitable. As far as the home is concerned recently she literally ran through a sliding mesh door and made a huge hole in it in the process. I have tried everything. I have tried to teach her the stay command, I have tried punishing her when she does not stay when we need to pick her up. We have tried patting her on the butt and saying "No, bad dog when we say stay you stay" sternly, we have tried positive reinforcement with treats, NOTHING works. Its as if that play part of her brain triggers when she sees us approach her and overrides any other instinct. She has defecated and soiled the floor many of times due to us not being able to pick her up to take her down the stairs (she can not go down stairs yet), and now she is showing signs of anxiety after correction and sticks her tail between her legs and hides in a corner. I do not want her living like this. I don't want her to fear us or live with anxiety, but she needs to learn that there is a time and place to play chase. From what I can tell, she isn't running in a fight or flight type way, its more of a "oohh yea come and get me if you can kind of way." I'm out of ideas I know this was a lot to read but it is stressing me out and I'm losing hope that she will ever snap out of this phase. P.S. She ADORES peanut butter, we have even tried luring her close enough to us with it to pick her up and she literally takes 1 step forward 2 steps back anticipating our attempt. Once we try and fail to pick her up, she does not try for it any longer. Like I said earlier that play run trigger outweighs everything. Please help!
    • Gold Top Dog

Others will be along who are better at training than I am. 

However -- I must ask you to address two things:

1.  Why can't she go up and down stairs?  By the time she's a few weeks old she should be able to go up and down stairs when taught.  Is it that she's reluctant or is this your own determination?

2.  This dog needs to go to the vet a.s.a.p. for a **full** exam. I suspect she runs from you because it **hurts** to be picked up!  As a small breed, being in your arms should be heaven for her.  And if it is NOT then you have a serious situation and your first step *must* be the vet. 

Dogs are *extremely stoic*.  Just because she doesn't squeal or scream doesn't mean she's not in pain.  But a vet will be able to address this -- and may need to do some x-rays to see if there is some problem.  You may think she wants to "play" but yet she's learned to respond to a query to go out.  This has morphed into a never-ending cycle but in order to *know* for sure you must get her examined to rule out pain.  Then you work on the avoidance.

If she sees being picked up as causing her pain??  She's going to avoid that situation every single time. 

If there is some problem with her spine then you will need to deal with that.  Either a special sling to enable you to pick her up without bending her spine or similar.

There are simply some things that treats just won't accomplish and if she fears being picked up (which honestly is what it sounds like) then you have some serious desensitizing to do. 

The rest of the folks here will help you address the training issues, but please -- understand that if you have used such negative methods *and* if there is fear and/or pain involved, you will have some serious re-training to do that will involve commitment to helping her.

This is very likely not a case of her being a bad dog -- but rather her either being in pain or being fearful. 

• Gold Top Dog

Everything Callie said, but, also, STOP CHASING her.  It becomes a game, sounds like it already has, and she wins.

And, again absolutely everything that Callie said.

• Gold Top Dog
    First step in working on her running away problem is to start with leaving a leash on her when you are home.  that way when she lets you know she needs to go out you can grab the leash instead of chasing her around.  Even tie a long leash onto a belt and walk around your house with her next to your side.  that will also help build trust and you can monitor her more closely. Just watch your step when she is close to you.

I would recommend limiting her freedom. Not in a bad way or as a form of punishment but in a way that will make her feel comfortable.  Does she use a crate?  Dogs do well when you set boundaries.  You can increase her freedome as you build a better trusting relationship with your dog.  She is young and giving her too much at once is overwheling so take a deep breath, take a few steps back in your training and start all over like she has just come home for the first time.

• Bronze
    thank you for your response. 1. She can't go downstairs because honestly she never tried. We got her when she was about 12 weeks old and had her about a month before i started training her to go up the stairs. I started with the last step before flat ground then second to last and continued this way until she pleasently surprised me one day by doing the entire staircase. It's a little harder to teach her to go down though because she just stands there and refuses to try. 2. She was spayed about 3-4 weeks ago which was the last time she had a check up. Dr said everything looks great. 3. Honestly 99% of the time it seems more like excitement then fear. Her tail is up (although I have never seen it wagging? Not sure if poms just don't wag) and she has that playful stance and posture. I've seen her afraid and it just doesn't look anything like it.
    • Bronze
    thank you for your response. Honestly I've tried leaving the leash on her but I just feel like its a little counter productive. Simply put it worked for the few days I had it on because she saw it was hopeless after a few tries, but as soon as I took it off after day 5 or so she looked at it like "now it must be ok for me to start running again" because thats exactly what happened she started running again. Plus she taunts us by inching closer then running so I can tell that the game is more important to her than anything. when I try not chasing her 2 things happen and only 2 things. Either she ends up soiling the room, or she doesn't run but will not get into arm's reach of us. Very frustrating because that leads to option A again. Honestly above all I want her to have a playful spirit but others in my family are not as patient as I and react very angry when she does this and ends up making a fool of us topping it off with a nice *** cherry on the sunday.
    • Gold Top Dog

You could condition her to not need the leash.  Start with a leaving longer rope on her in place of a leash or something thick you can cut.  Each day take about a half inch off and slowly shorten the rope each day making the dinstance you need to get to her closer each time untill there is no rope.  Then you can reach for her alone without the need to grab a leash.  It does take time and paitents, it took months for her to develop this habit so it will take a bit of time to reverse it.  It has become a game and she is winning, now it your turn to add some rules to the game.

• Gold Top Dog

Honestly?  When I have a foster dog who isn't reliable about coming to me, that pup wears a leash for as long as it takes.

Only the FIRST time down the stairs should be scary.  Once she's done it just once, she should be fine with the stairs.  You can start by putting something really great, be it a fav toy or a super yummy, super stinky treat on the first step down.  Next time make it the 2nd step, and so forth until she begins to realize that stairs are actually kind of cool things.

• Gold Top Dog

Renown3286
    She can't go downstairs because honestly she never tried. We got her when she was about 12 weeks old and had her about a month before i started training her to go up the stairs. I started with the last step before flat ground then second to last and continued this way until she pleasently surprised me one day by doing the entire staircase. It's a little harder to teach her to go down though because she just stands there and refuses to try. 2.

Any human who is at all infirm will tell you that it is ***FAR*** more difficult to go down stairs than up.  For a dog it's like jumping down a 6 foot drop (it's likely higher than she is).  YOu can jump UP easier than you can cushion a down jump on a hard surface.  I have severe arthritis.  I'd rather climb six flights of stairs than go DOWN one flight because gravity will work against me if I fall and I'd wind up falling the entire length of the stairs. 

Add this to the fact that she doesn't wag her tail??

GO TO THE VET!!  There is something wrong if she's this reluctant.

Renown3286
    I've seen her afraid and it just doesn't look anything like it.

It concerns me that you've seen her afraid.  But there is fear or reprisal and that's different than a self-protective fear of pain or discomfort.  you get "angry" and others "aren't as patient" -- *sigh* then you likely DO have a ton of retraining to do. 

Pain is not "fear" usually -- and it may be a sensible dog who won't do something physically that she knows she will fail at.  If she doesn't think she has the strength or can land pain-free then she likely doesn't want to do it.  She may make a 'game' of it to try and reduce the anger she knows is coming. 

and if the only time you make her "stay" is when you want to do something negative to her it's no wonder she doesn't stay.  "stay" and "sit" should be commands she has to respond to 24/7 -- not just when you want to take her out.

We adopted a peke several years ago who was terrified to be held.  She had a lot of arthritis, but honestly I became convinced after having her for a few months that her biggest fear was of being 'thrown' to the floor while being held. 

Small dogs tend to LIVE to be held.  It is normally the most rewarding, most loving time of their day.  And when a small dog AVOIDS being held and picked up, my first question beyond what's physically wrong is "Who hurt this dog while she was in their arms?"  Did someone throw her or drop her?  There is very likely one incident that framed her entire response to this.  If someone picked her up and scolded her/smacked her for making a mess while they were holding her?  Voila -- you create a dog who does NOT want to be held. or picked up.

It took me years to desensitize Kee to being fearful of being picked up and held.  I had to be super careful to pick her up "levelly" and NOT bend the spine and to support her carefully in my arms.  It was easier for my husband to pick her up than for me.  The conclusion we came to was that a woman likely threw her at some point.  She'd been punished for being on furniture and she'd somehow had a hugely negative experience in someone's arms.

It was extremely sad for a *small* dog to not take comfort in a human's arms.  Ultimately I was able to get Kee past her fear of being held. 

• Gold Top Dog

You have part of the solution already.  Stop using the word Potty.  She's learned that this is the start of the "chase me" game.  Try this and do it when she doesn't need to potty, get a toy, sit on the floor, leash out of sight in your pocket, and engage her in a few seconds of play with you sitting on the floor.  Stay happy, stay relaxed. You're training but you're not in "I'm the boss Commander mode".  Snap the leash on without a word and keep the other end in your hand.  Stand up and walk to the stairs with her on the floor and you holding the leash. You're calm and neutral. Don't drag her to the stairs if she's reluctant.  Stop and give her a treat at the stairs. Go back to where you were sitting and playing and with the leash on and you still holding it, sit down and play for a few seconds.  Repeat this four or five times in one session.   Don't make any attempt to pick her up during these sessions.  Never  engage in the game of chasing her again.

I do believe that this is mostly a game of chase to her BUT she has been punished when she's had an accident during the chase.  So there's an element of fear in it when the humans start getting angry.  This could also be why she eliminates when she's chased.  Stop chasing her and stop punishing her or getting angry.  Sorry to repeat but this is crucial. When a dog is punished unfairly and this is unfair in the dog's mind, you create all sorts of problems.

Don't punish her for accidents, ever.  They are the human's fault.  Spank yourself with a rolled up newspaper if she has an accident. :)   

To prevent accidents as you retrain her, I would start feeding her in a crate.  When she's finished eating, gently reach in and pick her up,snap on a leash and take her outside for a walk and to  potty. Don't pick her up until you reach the stairs.  When you do pick her up, say nothing.  Pick her up and give her a tasty treat.  Praise her like she's won the Nobel prize as she finishes doing her business outside. 

If you train her to love getting in a crate, using positive methods, you can use this as a way to easily get her on a leash when needed.  This is more than just an issue with housetraining accidents.  What if you need to leave quickly with her for a visit to the emergency room?   What if there is a fire or flood and you need to get out quick? 

If you don't get everyone in the family to quit chasing her and punishing her, your problems will continue to get worse.  Explain to your family that she is not doing this to annoy and anger them.  She's a dog.  She's doing what dogs do.  I suggest that only you work with her on this until you see real progress.   This behavior isn't going to change overnight.  You need to work on it several times a day in short sessions.   There is no time line.  It will take however long it takes.  That will be determined by how often you work on it and how consistent you are with the re training.   You say you tried the leash for 5 days and then took it off and she reverted to the chase game.  She's been practicing this behavior for months and it may take months to retrain her.  If you give up on a method because it's not working fast enough, you will continue to fail.

Next is going down the stairs.  Many dogs have a problem with stairs that are open.  Looks very scary to a dog.  Slow and gentle training sessions will work.  Start at the top stair with her on lead (not being held in arms by you) and you with the tastiest treats you can find.  Make sure she doesn't have to potty before these sessions.   Put a treat on the second step and you go to the third step.  Encourage her to step down and get the treat.  If she won't and is showing fear, don't try to pull her to the second step.   Just keep working on it and she'll gain confidence.  If treats aren't working, try a favorite squeaky toy.  Don't try to get her all the way down in one session.  If you make any progress, say she goes down three steps and then seems reluctant, go back to the top step and get her to go down just one or two and stop for that session.

I always suggest people do some reading up on dogs and how they learn.  Dogs are such a huge part of so many families and we sort of assume that we know all about dogs.  But it's amazing the insight you can gain if you spend the time to educate yourself on why dogs do some of the things that makes us crazy.  Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson is a great book.  Patricial McConnell's book, The Other End of the Leash is another good one.  I'm reading a book now by Sophia Yin called How to Behave so You Dog Behaves. I'm loving it.  These aren't boring step by step method books.  They're meant to help us understand how our dog's minds work and why we fail in training because we don't communicate effectively what we want.  Dogs want to get along and they are superb at it, if we give them fair and consitent training.  Good luck and keep us posted.

• Gold Top Dog
    Jackie's post is 100% spot on.
    • Bronze
    I'm enjoying everyone's responses and truly appreciate it but I do need to make 1 thing very clear. This dog is over-loved. I live with my mother my father and my two sisters. I'm the youngest at 25. The whole family adores this dog. No one would every hit her or do any harm to her. Its not a fear of being held in my opinion. I believe she just has a lot more fun watching 3 people try to catch her. Nothing excites her more than 3-5 human beings running in circles bumping into each other as she ducks and dips through hallways and under chairs.
    • Bronze
    Thank you for your post. I am printing it now to share with my entire family. I appreciate the advice greatly.
    • Gold Top Dog

Jackie's post is absolutely incredible and 100% right.

JackieG
    She's been practicing this behavior for months and it may take months to retrain her.  If you give up on a method because it's not working fast enough, you will continue to fail.

Absolutely.

• Gold Top Dog
    800x600 Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}
    Renown3286:
    From what I can tell, she isn't running in a fight or flight type way, its more of a "oohh yea come and get me if you can kind of way."

Renown3286:
    While we are chasing after her to pick her up she ends up unable to hold it any longer and goes in the house resulting in correction. Number 2 she has done damage to herself and our home because of this problem. She knocks her head a lot and jumps off of things that are too high just to get away.

Actually i think that you have failed to read what she is telling you. By the way she runs away from you, getting herself into danger just to get away and ending up on soiling during the chase is a clear indication that she is afraid of humans when this is taking place and I will tell you why. Humans very often approach dogs in a very “unnatural” way, they get to the dog and bend over them to be picked up or petted. For some dogs a human bending over them causes severe anxiety. Imagine someone that is 20 feet tall standing right in front of you and bending over covering you with their whole body. It can be scary without a doubt, very overpowering situation. If you add that most likely you get frustrated because you are afraid time to go to the bathroom is running out then she is seeing a frustrated human trying to get her

Out of fear she ends up soiling herself and to make things worse she gets corrected because of it = you are adding fuel to the fire, no doubt she will run away again next time.

She is definitely not playing chase

You need to approach her in a different way, first she might already know the “steps” you take to get ready to go and probably the first one is you asking her "Potty?". The word might already be a signal for her that the situation she does not like is about to start. Do not say anything. Don’t wait until is time to potty to start the process. Sit down on the floor with a different and NEW treat (she might already relate peanut butter to the same situation), sit down sideways and let her come to you, or grab her favorite toy and do the same. Sitting down sideways from her will lower the overpower situation greatly and will increase the chances of her getting picked up contributing to go out.

If she is all over you when you play with her then you can hold her in your arms at that moment and take her out, come back and continue playing. The whole potty time is surrounded by game time