Why did she pee on our bed on the blanket!

• Bronze

Why did she pee on our bed on the blanket!

Hello, my name is Joanne. We have a 14 month old Maltipoo names Cuddles. We only have her for a little over 2 months. The person that had her before also only had her for about that long. She said she bought her from someone who had too many dogs and thought she was going to get turned in so was selling them off and she felt bad because she was kept in a crate all the time. And we tried crating her at night and she just won't tolerate it. She was not house trained and I trained her by taking out her for walks or at least out every two hours or so. But she still does have accidents in the house, most are my fault that I didn't realize she needed to got out or in the middle of the night. But tonight when my fiance was going to bed we realized she had gone up right before us and peed on the blanket. She was just spayed 4 days ago but is not having any problems with the so I am just hoping I can get some insight on this forum for her behavior. I can't for the life of me figure out why she would get up on the bed and pee on the blanket!
    • Gold Top Dog
    I'm not an expert and I know someone else will come along to help you more but I would venture to say she isn't certain of her place or rules. What was your response to the incident?
    • Bronze
    I told her that was bad and she went downstairs. I took the blanket off the bed. I sort of ignored her the rest of the night. Maybe that was childish but I was pretty mad about the situation and she new it.
    • Gold Top Dog

She's marking territory.

Now, when I say this *please* don't think I'm being snarky or mean -- but don't consider her housetrained *at all*.  She may have a start on it, but a dog isn't house-trained until they really are.  And an "accident" typically isn't an accident until they've been reliably trained for years (and then you start looking at the physical first).

However -- in the time you've had her, have you had her to the vet (I'm not going to assume the vet spayed her -- you could have had that done at a shelter)??  In honesty, the first thing to check would be to get a full urinalysis done on her.  See -- you've only had her two months but she's 18 months old.  She could have crystals or even a long term infection that might not immediately show up as a problem.  Some dogs drink TONS and, in so doing, keep a long term infection almost invisible because they drink enough for the urine to not show dark. 

1.     So -- #1 is a vet visit with a full urinalysis - you can't rule out everything else unless you know **exactly** what's in the urine.  Don't let them just do a strip test -- this isn't a waste even IF it's normal because it will give you a baseline on *her* if it is normal.

2.     Make impossible for her to screw up.  Yep -- I realize this is a "loaded statement".  But it's honestly what you have to do in order to fully housetrain them.

That means you keep track of her every single instant so it is impossible for her to elminate improperly .  The first time I'd let her drag a leash ALL the time and any time you aren't 100% focused on what **she** is doing you loop the leash handle over a belt and strap it on.  This way if she's hunting for a place to go you will notice her sniffing or walking back and forth (or even squatting to pee or poop). 

The instant you see her assume the position you say "Nuh uh ... not there -- **out** side!!" and walk FAST to the door you use and get her out to where you want her to go.  If she's already started, pick her up in the towel you have looped over that belt and transport her.  The best, most foolproof and easiest way to get her trained is literally catch her in the act (or almost) and get her outside.  She'll get distracted but leave the towel on the ground and say "this goes **out** side!".

If she screws up and you're not quick enough.  Put her in her crate for a minute, clean up the mess but take the paper towel outside and lay it down where you want her to go.  Go back in and **thoroughly** clean the spot -- you may not smell anything but they will often return to a spot they've used before (and that's being *not* house-trained).  Then go get her, on leash, and take her outside *then* and point to the mess and say "Outside!  Put it here!"  I will usually also point to the spot inside on the way out and simply say "No, not here".  But literally show her that you have **moved** her waste to the appropriate spot.  That makes the impression.

See dogs are completely situational and immediate -- even if you discover it **after** they simply will pick a spot either that they want to mark or that they have successfully used before and go there, rather than holding it.  By "successful" I mean they have gone there uninterrrupted.  Because if you come by later and say "Bad dog!" and point to a mess -- they literally think you're commenting on them (as in "I don't like you";) more than on their choice of spots. 

They identify with their waste -- it is uniquely **them** -- the "where" of it was simply where it was convenient.  It never occurs to them that your entire problem is ***where*** they put it.  That's an entirely separate decision for them and they totally miss that inside/outside point. 

3.     **Asking** to go out -- you have to very deliberately train this.  Most dogs will only give you a 'look' (and maybe not even that) and then will proceed to their own devices if you don't act immediately.  This is one of the big reasons why you have to prevent them from screwing up.  You have to literally be right there to make the point of where it needs to go and to *tell* you.  They won't make a big investment of energy to tell you until they really understand that it is never, ever ok to go inside and you catch them every single time so they absolutely can't go without discovery.

One of my favorite suggestions is either to put a spring doorstop on the door you take them out, or hang a small bell on the door.  As you get her to the door, stop just long enough to gently take her paw and bat the doorstop or bell to make a noise and say 'Outside!' and proceed out to the potty spot.

4.     Some folks use treats as a reward for going outside.  I never do because I've seen it be too easy for a dog to think "oh, if I pee/poop I'm gonna get a reward" and then do it inside expecting one. 

5.     Crating -- unfortunately you let her dictate to you that you won't crate her during the night.  If you let them tell you they won't (by stirring up a stink and carrying on) then by letting her out you rewarded her hissy fit.  If it were me I'd re-train the crate.  Feed her in there, give her treats and a kong or something yummy in there when you want to leave her unattended while you do something else.  Work up to longer time and to leaving but don't let her simply whine and carry on to be let out.  But don't open the door when she's crying == **only** when she's quiet -- then reward the quiet by letting her out.

But during the night?  You will have to devise some alternative method (unless you want to go back and simply let her have a fit for a few nights until you convince her that you won't let her out just because she "pitches a fit". (sorry, that's what we call it here)

But don't let her have free roam of any where.  Keep her close enough to you so that you will wake up and take her out.  I've seen people tie the leash to their waist again to know when she gets up and moves around.  A cat bell tied to her collar will also make sound if you can wake up for that. 

Just don't let her be loose during the night because a dog that won't hold it thru the night is not housetrained -- she needs to wake you up if she needs to go out (and then you need to address that as training and say "hold it longer" and make her wait a while longer before you take her out.)  She was never taught as a puppy to hold it -- so most of this is habit -- but again, you can't let her have the freedom to go inappropriately during the night. 

Essentially if she goes --- even one time -- successfully (i.e., without you right there to say "Not there! Outside!";) she has successfully broken training and taught herself that new spot is 'safe'.  It has to be wrong all the time.

All this is what we dog lovers affectionately call "House-training 101" -- meaning back to the basics.  When they've learned a whole host of bad habits, it's tough to change them. 

6.     NILIF -- this is one of my favorites and it honestly will help everything from housetraining to obedience -- but most of all it's training for the humans.  NILIF is "Nothing In Life Is Free" -- and it's simply a method of dog training where you simply put her in a position to have to *ask* you for every single thing she wants.  (You can Google that and come up with a ton of hits)

It's totally positive -- and it really doesn't take long to put it into effect -- you just plain teach them "sit" and when they begin to demand something you look down and say 'sit!' -- and they do and you give them that thing.  Suddenly it almost becomes a game and they get all excited because wow -- communicating with this human just got EASY!!  I "sit" and they're all happy with me and give me stuff!!

Food?  Before you get your bowl you sit nicely without grumbling or barking for me to put your bowl down and *tell* you "OK".  Even feeding her kibble one bit at a time for 3-4 kibbles and then putting down the bowl is often really effective.

Affection?  Most people don't notice when the dog comes up and demands affection.  Pawing your leg, jumping up next to you, or even the ever-popular "slide the head under the human's hand so they pet me automatically" -- nope.  They need to come up to you and "sit" in front of you and THEN you bestow affection. 

Why all the regimentation?  It sounds like this takes all the fun out of dog ownership -- but it really doesn't.  it simply defines boundaries and it cements that basic communication that the dog isn't running the show.

I really don't get into "dominance" and all the alpha stuff.  This is just polite behavior for a dog and getting these boundaries straight makes it a whole lot easier to do everything -- including housetraining.

I didn't mean to over-instruct here, but when you feel like you've been stumbling around and something as frustrating as getting them to not make messes becomes almost 'normal' -- sometimes we all need a real plan to make the change.

BTW - we LOVE pictures on here and we'd love to see her!!

• Gold Top Dog

Since she was spayed four days ago, I am more inclined to believe this is a case of spay incontinence--a lack of estrogen can contribute to a lack of tone to control the sphincter muscle, thus inappropriate leaking.  This may only be a temporary problem or it may be long term.  There are a number of herbal and homeopathic remedies for this, one of which is a product call "Leaks No More" by Homeopet.  There are alos medications that can be prescribed by a vet for this condition.

• Gold Top Dog

I can understand you being upset with her but I doubt she knew why you were ignoring her. Dog's often show submissive behaviors that we interpret as guilt but it's really just an attempt to appease the big scary human.  Scolding a dog after an accident is pretty ineffective in correcting the behavior.  It can cause a dog to be afraid to potty in front of their owner in an appropriate spot and you don't want that to happen.  It sounds to me like she isn't housetrained and is also displaying some anxiety type behavior.  I would crate train her ASAP.  She should be in a crate when you aren't able to closely watch her.  A crate should never be used as a place of punishment but should be considered (by the dog) as her safe place.   Treat her like a puppy and begin housetraining 101.  Don't scold her for accidents as they are always the human's fault. 

Is there any other stress in the house?  Sometimes dog's eliminating on a bed, etc is a sign of some sort of anxiety. 

• Gold Top Dog

What Callie said.

Welcome to the forum.

• Gold Top Dog

I think she did it b/c she isn't completely house trained in your house yet.  I've had a dog that went on my bed too.  In our case it was not marking territory, the dog just plain had to go!  This dog slept on dog beds or in crates, not on our bed, so why would she want to potty on HER space?  Instead, she found the most "remote" part of the house and went there, which happened to be our bedroom, just like she would go out to the very back of the yard and go there.

I would work on crate training and keeping the dog confined and supervised until it slowly proves that it can be trusted with more space.

• Bronze
    WOW, Thanks calliecritturs, that's a ton of information for you to give to me. She was to the vet and got all her shots but no urinalysis was done. As I explained how I got her she was not spayed. She was done 4 days ago. I don't have to tether her to me cause she follows me around all day. Every two hours or so I ask her if she has to go pee pee and go outside and she goes nuts. She goes out and does do her business. I like the idea of a spring doorstop, that I will also do so she gets the hint she doesn't always have to have me ask her. I don't do treats either, I just tell her what a good girl she is and give her lots of petting as I let her in the door. I know what you are saying about the crating. I live very close to the house next door and didn't want to put them through hearing her all night either! So she won, but I never had a dog crated when I was growing up, and we always had one or more, and I really didn't want to crate her. As for night time it was me who missed the signals. She does have two tags on her that make noise, but she came up to me and started licking my arm and stuff and I didn't realize she was trying to tell me something. In the morning she follows me into the bathroom so I can watch her while I do my own stuff and we come right downstairs and she runs right to the door. I sort of thought that with being in three different houses and never being trained that I got her trained to this point pretty quickly, but realized she is still immature and not completely housebroken. I will look into getting the book you mentioned, sounds like it is really good. LOL The affection part you have right on the money. She will lick my arm, scratch my leg or crawl on my lap for me to rub her belly. I have to say that sometimes if I don't want her to I tell her No and push her away and she will stop. But as her name says she loves to cuddle and that's what we love about her. And PS, I uploaded a picture of her, don't know for sure if you can see it or not. I tried to upload a few more put kept getting an error. Will try again though... tzu_mom I wondered if the recent spaying could have had something to do with it. I will watch for it and talk to my vet if I think it could be a problem . Thanks. JackieG I know what you are saying and I knew that last night but I was to aggravated. Childish I know.. If you read above you know that I do not want to crate her. There are no stressors in the house. Everything is as normal as when we brought her home.
    • Bronze
    glenmar Thanks for the welcome! Leisje I sort of agree with you. I have brought her a long way in the 2 1/2 months since we have had her but I don't believe she is completely trained either. If I don't ask or I miss a sign she won't persist, she will go, that is my opinion. The bed thing really got to me but who knows... If you have not read my answer above I don't want to crate train her. Never had my dogs crate trained when growing up and didn't want to crate train her but we gave it a try. She had been kept in a crate of some sort for about 8 months of her life, then another lady bought her and had her for two months and she slept on the bottom of their bed. That is where she sleeps now and we are fine with that. I know a lot of people don't agree with me on that but that is how I feel. But thanks for the info and for thinking along my line of thought with not completely trained yet. I will just have to be more diligent on working with her on it. Plus it's cold here but in the summer she will be out in the yard a lot more!
    • Gold Top Dog

I never grew up crating a dog either -- it is simply a tool.  And for a lot of dogs -- despite our human "feeling" that it is a jail or something repressive -- for a dog it says 'safety' if they are crated properly.  Dogs *are* den animals -- to them a small space means "no one can bother me in here"

Before you fully make up your mind that it is somehow mean or cruel -- explore it a bit. 

My husband and I travel quite a lot -- and our dogs can go anywhere.  Why?  Because they are crate trained. 

A dog that has lived in a negative situatuion in a crate may simply need a bit of an alternative adjustment.  It simply makes some things a whole lot easier for the dog. 

I'm not trying to twist your arm -- but in honestly?  most of us grew up without having a dog crated.  It's one of those things I had to learn and experience to realize how much easier it makes life for the dog.

It's just a tool.  But in the business of making sure the dog can't screw up (and therefore the dog doesn't get IN trouble) it can be a tool of great value. 

• Gold Top Dog

I just noticed in your profile that Cuddles came from what sounds like a puppy mill type situation.  Some dogs from these type situations can be very challenging to housetrain since they often were kept crated/caged 24 hours a day and had no choice but to eliminate where they slept.  Crating a dog like this may not help with the housetraining.  Keep doing what you're doing and watching her for signals that she needs to go out.  

ETA, I saw her picture on your profile and she's a little cutie! :)

• Gold Top Dog

I have no issues with dogs on furniture or the bed.  Your house, your rules, and it's rather similar to MY house, my rules.  But, the difference is, in my home the kids EARN the right to be on the furniture, or the bed and that permission can be quickly revoked if someone gets snarly or possessive about any piece of furniture other than their own crates.

I don't want to pressure you either, but, my dogs LOVE their crates and go into them at random times throughout the day just to chill out and get away from everyone else.  But, crates are always for good stuff in my home, never used for punishment and if we are all going to be away from the house, they get REALLY good stuff in their crates.  And, in working with a GSD rescue, I often got dogs who really hated the crate....and it never took long for them to learn that the crate is a very good place to be.  They simply needed to be retrained regarding crates.  I have the added benefit of knowing with my guys that there won't be issues if they are caged at the vets, that we can travel anywhere with them....in the car they use harnesses, but for long trips we take the RV and they are crated.  It's worth thinking about at least.

• Gold Top Dog

My boy Sam came to us at 16 months with this habit of poohing on Beds  peeing everywhere and HATED crates, because he had spent far too much time in them i think. We just took things slowly, kept things nice and calm and consistent, and i noticed it has been months since he has poohed on a bed, and almost a life time since i have had to clean the car up because he has got upset and poohed in the car.

He will voluntarily go  into his crate to have a bit of a chill out when he wants to.

I never ever told him off scowled at him or showed any emotion over any of these things!!

I classicaly conditioned his crate to mean nice things and got him to the point where he got fed for quite a while in the crate. When he started going in the car in the crate again it was always with treats and toys. You just have to do things slowly and clamly and enjoy that dog that you have!!

I took responsibility for his toileting habits, and restricted his access to bedrooms unless i was with him. 

He is a wonderful dog and worth all the hassle.

I think too that often humans focus like hell with these kind of behavourial issues but don't go on and adress the issues that dogs have for stimulation. While Sam was having these hassles, i was out tracking with him, playing with him introducing him to obedience. If the spotlight goes on to these  admittely annoying behaviours so does our body language and emotions and actually makes the situation worse!

• Puppy

I use the lease tethered to me at night-can't use crates either. You do know those little ones can take alooong time to housebreak.

For accident, mix vin. and water for spot-it's the mixture of vin/water which removes urine odor