Mother and Son fighting:(

• Gold Top Dog

Mother and Son fighting:(

Hi guys, its been awhile since I have been on. We have been busy preparing for the arrival of our first human baby so things have been alittle chaotic.
    So anyways back in Jan I took in my brothers 2 dogs on top of my 2 dogs because he had to move and couldnt take them. They are mother and son. The mom (Onix) is a mix of black lab and pitbull/husky. The father to the pup (Sebastian) is a dingo. Within a few weeks of getting them they where both spayed and neutered. Onix is 6 and Sebastian is 11 months.

I have keep Onix in the past, she is a great well behaved dog. Sebastian on the other hand is a troubled pup. He has made great progress since he has been here but still has some issues. He like any pup really enjoys creating miscief. He is a very odd dog, isnt very trusting with strangers or school aged children but is very sweet and cuddly to any who can gain his trust. I think they might have been mean to him because if you raise a hand around him he hunkers down and shakes . We have been working on socializing him and he starts training next month so I think we are moving in the right direction but we are constantly having to break up fights between him and his mother. He doesnt fight with my other 2 only his mom and same with her and it is only when they are out in the yard. Luckly neither of them have hurt each other, it always sounds worst then it is and they break it up the minute you strongly state NO! then within minutes go back to acting as if nothing happened. I dont really get it, I guess maybe they just get annoyed with each other but I am worried it might get worse or they will get into it when no one is around to stop them. So my question is what steps can I take to control this behavior? Will the training help any? I dont want to have to get rid of either of them, they have become part of the family but I dont want them to kill each other either. I should add that the pup was never properly weaned from his mother and is very co-dependent on her (wont go out at night without her, sits and cries if he cant find her) Could this have contributed to the issue? any insight would be greatly appericated.

• Gold Top Dog

I know that this sound too simplistic, but, for now, how about not letting the two of them out at the same time?

My gsds play in such a way that I'm sure anyone who didn't know them well would think that they were trying to kill each other.  Is it possible that the male is playing too rough and momma is putting him in his place?

I'm sure the trainers will be along with some real help.....

• Gold Top Dog

My initial thought is...are you sure they are actually fighting?  Could it be rough play?  My GSDs also play roughly and if you didn't know them, you would think they are really enemies.  Now, sometimes it escalates to a level that I don't like....so I put an end to it.  But, it IS just play.

I agree with keeping them separate if they are in fact fighting.

• Gold Top Dog

I am pretty sure that is what is happening. He wants to play or something and she wants to be left alone so she snaps at him.

I thought maybe they where just rough housing but when they break up they are both trembling and hair is standing up so I am pretty sure they are both furious at that point. He keep bugging my gsd once when he was trying to nap and didnt want to be bothered, my gsd snarled and let out alittle grumble and since then he will leave him alone when he is sleeping So I was hoping that he would eventually get the point with his mom but now he is bigger than her and just wont let up.

Maybe it isnt something that isnt really a problem just a pup being a pup with tons of energy needing to learn his place in the pack but in the meantime we have only been letting them out together when they are all playful and keeping a watchful eye out.

• Gold Top Dog

Typically, older dogs give "puppy license" for 4-5 months, and suddenly, ok, you're too old for that crap, and they'll slap the pup down, either literally or figuratively.  Almost sounds like momma has let him push too far for too long and now she's having to put him in his place, and he's not liking it.  It's also about the time for that "terrible teens" rebellion.

• Gold Top Dog

glenmar

Typically, older dogs give "puppy license" for 4-5 months, and suddenly, ok, you're too old for that crap, and they'll slap the pup down, either literally or figuratively.  Almost sounds like momma has let him push too far for too long and now she's having to put him in his place, and he's not liking it.  It's also about the time for that "terrible teens" rebellion.

I'm surprised a six year old female let her obnoxious son get away with it for eleven months before she decided to really tell him off.  Wink

If they are not putting any holes in one another, and go back to liking each other fairly quickly, I'd say it's just normal "older dog gets sick of younger dog" stuff.

As to the "socialization" - dogs' optimal socialization period is long past at his age: http://www.avsabonline.org/avsabonline/images/stories/Position_Statements/puppy%20socialization.pdf, so now he may well have difficulty in social situations with dogs outside your household if he didn't get what he needed earlier in life.

• Gold Top Dog

Well, yes, it is a long shot,but........and I DID say that the REAL pro's would be along.....

• Gold Top Dog

Well he wasnt so bad about bugging her up until this last month or so because it has been cold and they werent outside as much. Now they are staying outside the majority of the day, her and my gsd will happly play with him for awhile but eventually want to go relax and lay down while he still has tons on energy and wants to continue so I am going to chalk it up to him be annoying and try to wear him out somehow. They arent hurting each other at all, no blood has been shed and after alittle bit of shulking they go right back to be buddies. Thanks for the input guys.

• Gold Top Dog

A bit OT, but does the mother dog know that the 11 month old puppy is her offspring?

• Gold Top Dog

tiffy

A bit OT, but does the mother dog know that the 11 month old puppy is her offspring?

If nothing has changed about his scent, my guess is that she does.  

• Puppy

Typically, an older dog will give a puppy "puppy license" for four to five months before saying, "ok, you're too old for that crap" and slapping the puppy down.  The tone of his complaint suggests that his mother has finally had to put him in his place after allowing him to act out for far too long.  The era of the "terrible teens" is also upon us. https://wordletoday.io/