aggressive pomeranian

• Gold Top Dog

aggressive pomeranian

I have a really solid, friendly, loving, wonderful dog - a big chesapeake retriever who lives to play and be with his people.

My niece and nephew (10 and 11) just got a new dog a few months ago and are currently visiting for the weekend.  It's a pomeranian puppy who is now six months old.  The problem is that this pom is AGGRESSIVE.  He snarls and growls whenever people try to pet him or he feels otherwise threatened.  He bit me several times this weekend (once when I tried to put him in his crate, once when I left the house and came back in, once when I was hand-feeding him and made the mistake of trying to pet him), although he never drew blood.  While he's generally very loving with "his people", he sometimes growls at the kids - yesterday, for instance, he got up on the couch and started growling at my niece, because he wanted her to move.  I pushed the dog off the couch and instituted a "no couch" rule (which is actually the rule at our house) for the rest of the evening.  This pom is free fed.  It's not toilet-trained.  It's not walked daily.  It seems to be the boss of its family.  It tried to growl a few times at my big dog, but my big dog just looked at him until he backed off and started doing more puppy-ish behaviours (licking my dog's face, offering his belly, etc).  Now the dogs play together outside and the little one is always following the big one around.  The big one is very patient and mostly just lays there and lets the little one sniff him.  The little one is very high energy and doesn't rest very much.

After two days with our dog and with our stricter house rules (which my niece seems a little bit sad about...she doesn't want to be "mean" to her puppy), he seems to be a little more settled, although I still wouldn't try to pet him. 

At six months, is it possible that this dog is just so nervous and unsure (due to lack of leadership) that it's a reactive biter?  Or is an aggressive puppy a lost cause?  My SO and I are considering offering to keep the puppy for a month, train/socialize him and then bring him back at Christmas.  I know that it would be best if his family trained him, but I know that there won't be any consistency there.  The kids are afraid that they're going to have to give the dog up.  With a history of biting, I really don't know what would happen to him.  My niece has lost so much (her parents have recently separated and her best friend passed away earlier this month of H1N1)...losing this dog would break her heart - again.

I don't want another dog, especially a small one.  This would be temporary.  I'm not very experienced with dogs - Chase is my first, and he's a really great dog.  But with NILF, daily exercise, lots of socialization, some training and maybe some work with a professional, do you think I could help this puppy reintegrate into his family?

Thank you so much for any help!

• Gold Top Dog

random
    At six months, is it possible that this dog is just so nervous and unsure (due to lack of leadership) that it's a reactive biter?

Absolutely, IMO. Also, where did they get this puppy? I'm going out on a limb and guessing a less-than-reputable source? It seems a lot of irresponsible small dog breeders breed more for looks than for temperament... wouldn't be surprised if an inherent nervous/unstable temperament combined with the chaos of his home is causing some serious issues for the dog.

As for sort of fostering him and introducing him back to the family... I really don't know. Your plan sounds great, and is certainly what I'd recommend for a reactive little monster like that, but I would really worry about what would happen when the dog went back to the same chaotic environment of its original family. Just because it's well-behaved for you won't mean at all that it will behave for your niece.

If the kids are that worried about having to surrender the dog, maybe they can learn how to train and encourage their parents to do the same? Then if you fostered the pup briefly, it would be more like a "jump start" for them to continue the training?

I really hate to say it, but to me, it sounds like if the family is unwilling/unable to get on board with training the dog, maybe it needs to find a new home... :-\ I hate to see kids having to part with a dog they love, but it's unfair for the dog and dangerous for the kids to put a reactive dog in a household with no training or consistency. I'd hate even more to see the kids get bitten and the dog euthanized.

It's really good of you to try to help them... I really hope you and they are able to work something out!

• Gold Top Dog

Your offer of training is nice, but such a codependent thing for the dog's family to accept(i.e. you are enabling them to be irresponsible), and my bet is that they couldn't follow through after your efforts, if they won't put in the effort now. 

• Gold Top Dog

Thanks for the quick replies!  After some discussion with my SO, we decided not to offer to take the dog (although I`m pretty sure that even if we`d offered, my niece wouldn`t have wanted to give him up for a month).  It's really difficult for me to put the dog in the crate.  This morning when I tried to lure him into the cage with deli meat, he suddenly turned on me and attacked my foot strongly enough to puncture through my leather shoe several times.  If I'm going to be alone with this dog, I need to be able to crate him for sleeping and to stay while I'm at work (he certainly wouldn't have the run of the house while alone, as he currently does!).  I can handle a dog that I can't pet or touch, but I NEED to be able to crate him and put on/take off his collar.  As it stands, he's been wearing his collar non-stop, since he snarls and snaps if anyone tries to take it off.

I'm sad for the dog and especially for my niece and nephew, and if I were home all day, I'd tether him and let him learn to trust me.  But until he trusts me, I just don't have the skills and experience to deal with such an aggressive little dog who will need to be crated for 9 hours a day.

The family that he`s with really loves him.  They spend hours and hours with him.  They play with him and talk to him and make sure that all of his material needs are met...they just aren`t consistent with training and they are way too permissive (free range at home, free access to the couches, free food).  But I don`t want to give the impression that he`s unloved or mistreated. 

Ì`ve given my niece some tips, like taking away couch privileges, handfeeding 2 meals a day, taking him to a training class and making sure that he walks in the neighbourhood every day (not just plays in the backyard).  I don`t think that she`ll do these things, though...she just wants to hold him in her lap and love him and baby him.  She`s only 10.  Anyway, I hope things work out in the end.

• Gold Top Dog

You don't speak of the parents in this equation much.  How will they feel if this dog causes a serious injury to one of their children?  What happens if this dog encounters a three year old child who oversteps the dog's boundaries and is severly bitten?  Are the parents prepared for a lawsuit?   My sister was bitten in the face by a ten pound dog when she was four years old.  She carries the scars to this day on her face and emotionally.  These parents need a wake up call.  The number one reason dogs are euthed is for behavior problems.  What will they tell the children at that point?  Small dogs can and do cause serious injuries to children.  

I'm sorry to be so blunt but sugar coating this type of problem doesn't help anyone.  You are to be commended for your efforts but a frank and brutal talk with the adults is needed. 

random
    The family that he`s with really loves him.

If this is true, they will get some help from a professional without delay.  Love isn't enough.

Edited to add this link that spiritdogs provided a while back.  Maybe you can get the parents to give it a read.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=C&C=153&S=0

• Gold Top Dog

The fact that your niece loves the dog is a start.  I think you would do better sitting down and explaining to her that no matter HOW much she loves him, if he is not trained, not exercised and if he doesn't learn some boundaries he will simply be dangerous and he could end up having to be re-homed or euthanased.  Explain that she doesn't have to be "mean" to him to train him, (in fact that woud be the worst way to go about it), and that to NOT train him is far more unkind, because it is leaving him confused and anxious.  I would keep the language simple, and devoid of any phrases like "leadership", or "being boss", because kids can misinterpret those words quite easily.  It could either put her off (because she thinks she has to be mean), or it would convince her that a bit of mean-ness is necessary, which it is not!

I would have the dog drag a short lead when free indoors and being watched.  This way, he can be moved gently with less risk of you (or any child) being bitten.

Stop trying to take the collar on and off.  Leave it on 24/7, at least for now.  Our dogs wear theirs all the time.  Their ID tags are attached, so if ever they got out and wandered off (and they have done that) the collar & ID is the fastest way to ensure they are returned in most cases.

Take care not to loom over the puppy - crouch, turn aside and avert your eyes whn you interact, to appear less threatening.  I would bet the farm that at least SOME of this aggression is due to fear - I think most aggressive responses are. 

Although it is important that he is exercised, I think it is MORE important that he is at least under SOME kind of control before they attempt that. He should have SOME training and make a little headway before he goes out in the wide world, IMO.

I would stop free feeding him.  He needs to know where good stuff comes from, and that means LEARN TO EARN (or NILIF, nothing in life is free).  Does he know "sit"?  If not, it's easy to teach with a lure.  Then he can be asked to "sit" any time he wants something.  If he doesn't sit, he doesn't get it (that's up to and including his dinner! at least for now). Try again in 15 minutes.  (The only excpetion I would make is a] water and b] going outside.... the last thing you want is more accidents indoors because he decided not to "sit" at the door!)

WHAT is he being fed?  Crappy food can also contribute to behaviour problems, as well as poor health and  skin/coat problems.

If he is fed kibble, I would get a clicker and I would click, drop a piece of kibble on the floor for him.  Rinse and repeat until the meal is gone.  This is a fun game kids and dogs can "play" and when he has learned Click = Treat, it can be used to exert some hands-off control over him around the house.  Kids tend to be GOOD at clicker training, especially if it is disguised as fun "trick training".  For example, Teaching "drop it" (starting with low value items) and "the up/off game" (where the dog learns to come up on the sofa when invited and hop down again when asked, again making it into a game.)  You/they could also try clicking for any movement toward the crate, getting IN the crate.....and finally, sticking a cue on it like "kennel up" or "gotobed".

Speaking of crates: getting in the crate should definitely be a fun experience for him, he should be CHOOSING to go in there... biting you when he thinks you are going to put him in there doesn't indicate to me that he is enjoying it in there at all - maybe that needs to be revisited?  Try hiding some fun toys and smelly tidbits or an RMB in there for him to find.  Change his perception of being confined and he will not fight it when asked to go in there.

Has he had a full vet check?  Aggression (especially if it starts suddenly, but not always) can sometimes be triggered or exacerbated by pain, or some other medical condition.  That should be ruled out at as early a stage as possible.  I would also be researching behaviourists and trainers to assist with getting the pup on track with minimum risk of a sever bite.

I do agree that the dog needs some boundaries, but I think it needs to be stressed (to your niece especially) that this doesn't have to be unpleasant for the puppy.  In fact it SHOULDN'T be.  He should be learning that working with humans is fun and rewarding.  Remember he is still hardly more than a puppy, and he hasn't had any experience with being trained, which is why I've tried to emphasise the importance of short, FUN, training sessions, disguised as a game.

These kids have access to the internet, right?!  Find a couple of good websites and get them researching about positive dog training for THEMSELVES.  It is more likely to sink in if they research it, rather than have it preached to them by an adult Smile

Best of luck!!