HELP! my dog refuses to use wee wee pad anymore....

• Silver

HELP! my dog refuses to use wee wee pad anymore....

Hey everyone! I have a huge problem... my dog has been a house dog since we got her. She is a 2 year old maltese and always has been so good about using the wee wee pads... never has accidents. All of a sudden, the company changed the wee wee pad to quilted and she is going right next to it on the floor... on the edge... anywhere BUT the wee wee pad. I dont know what to do but cleaning up pee every single day is not fun. There must be a reason why she's doing this other than the quilted wee wee pad... We tried not giving her treats or table food, but it's still not working.

Any advice?

• Gold Top Dog

My dog only likes one brand of pee pads.  I have tried others but she won't use them.  I would just try buying different brands until she will go on one since they changed the brand you were using.  My sisters cat is the same way about her litter.  Sam's Club carries these great pads by Miracle Absorb - $10 for 50.

• Gold Top Dog

Obviously she doesn't like the quilted pee pads, so you'll need to find her some that are not.  Once they get used to urinating on a specific surface, well, that's where they want to go.

Not sure what treats or table food have to do with the problem?

• Gold Top Dog

Why the need for wee-wee pads? Not being rude or anything, just curious.

• Gold Top Dog

tiffy

I'm curious myself.  I'm just not into dogs going in the house--unless of course there is some special circumstance. 

• Gold Top Dog

I can understand housetraining a pup, but the dogs two.

• Gold Top Dog

willowchow

tiffy

I'm curious myself.  I'm just not into dogs going in the house--unless of course there is some special circumstance. 

I'm curious too.  House train and appropriate walks should end this dilemma - no?

• Gold Top Dog

Is there any reason why the dog cannot go outside?  Any dog of any age or size can learn to hold it for a reasonable period and eliminate outdoors.

It's a pretty common problem I think, and it's because pups learn to eliminate in connection with a substrate, which means they seek that out when they feel the need and also, being ON or near that surface stimulates them to go.

What can happen is, the pads (or newspaper) are on a surface like tiles, and the dog connects weeing with tiles as well as the pads.  Perhaps, a couple of times, the dog is desperate and so isn't QUITE on the pads when she goes, or is just within sight of them.... or even the brand has changed how they make the pads and they no longer feel "right" to pee on.  Before you know it, tiles have become an Ok surface to eliminate on, or even a new, preferred one.

Are you putting newspaper under and around the pads, to make the clean up job easier?  It may also prevent her from making the association that the floor is the right place substrate to eliminate on, and may even help if you run out of pads in future, or if they change the material again.... at least newspaper remains pretty constant Smile 

Unless you can find a brand of pad that she "likes" soon, she's just going to be accustomed to peeing on tiles, and finding a "good brand" won't make a lot of difference; she will already have got into the habit of peeing on the floor.  With this in mind, it would be far better to take her outside frequently and give her a tasty treat and lots of praise if she goes out there.  It should also save money on pads in the long term.

• Gold Top Dog

while I'm not big on puppy pads for an adult dog, my niece had a little chi who used a litter box.  To each his/her own I guess.

• Gold Top Dog

This seems to be just a substrate issue - it's the same reason some puppies who are trained in winter don't realize that they *can* urinate on grass:-))  They got used to doing it on snow.  If you are insistent that the dog use pee pads, try taking a bit of the urine that she expels on the floor and saturate the new pad with it - it may entice her to realize it's ok to pee on the new pad.  Or, try a different brand entirely.  Perhaps it's something that company is putting in the quilted ones that is making her uncomfortable about the odor, and a different pad may be ok, quilted or not.  Clean any mistakes with an enzymatic cleaner (Petastic is a good one) to remove any hint of urine odor.

• Gold Top Dog
    We are gone at work for 9-10 hours a day. I don't feel comfortable giving her access to the whole house and free roam of the yard when we are not home. I also don't feel comfortable making her hold it for 10 hours. I cannot afford a dog walker at this time, so we leave a pee pad on the tile for her. She only uses it during the day when we are not home. When we are home there are no pads out and she only goes outside.
    • Gold Top Dog

FWIW, some people just prefer for their dogs to go potty on pee pads because it's more convient for them and the dog- I do not see a problem with that. When my Grandma had her maltese and her chinese crested she lived on the 3rd story of a 3 family house in Boston- no elevator. It was much easier for the dog to pee/poop there than have my Grandma go up and down 3 flights of stairs 3-4+ times a day carrying the maltese(because the dog didn't go down stairs, he would go up them though), especially in nasty New England weather and at night when she'd be all alone.

• Gold Top Dog

glenmar
    To each his/her own I guess.

I guess so.  I could probably deal with a litter box much better than those pads though. 

• Gold Top Dog

My dogs won't pee in a litter box. It seems that the boxes only work if the dog was trained to it from the beginning. I've had zero success with it, for the girls. They will both use a pad, though, if they are busting at the seams.

• Gold Top Dog

willowchow
    I guess so.  I could probably deal with a litter box much better than those pads though

Most dogs don't like the feeling of litter in their feet --

And fwiw -- if you live in a 50 story high rise or are even in the City -- **particularly** if you live alone, you don't go walking your dog at 3:00 am.!!  And if you are in a high rise you usually don't use walking as the dog's sole way of pottying anyway.  By the time you go stand at the elevator and get all the way DOWN to the outside and the walk TO an appropriate spot -- well, sometimes it's just plain "too late".  But mostly if you are in a big city or live alone, it may not be safe to go dog-walking after dark.