Obesity in Dogs? An Article by Robert Abady

• Gold Top Dog

fish n dog

And am convinced Mr.  Abady  (cc431)   believes what he writes. But he goes about it all wrong..

All he had to say was that dogs being fed commercial diets today are undernourished.  That Robert Abady foods supply more important proteins, fats and minerals to make your dog perform better.

This man  believes  in his food.

He's also a tad eccentric. I don't agree with the consensus that his food is gawd awful - if he'd offer it at a sane price I'd be tempted to give it a try ... it does appear to be digestable and meat based. But he's so way off base on this one he's not even in the field. Calories have little to do with the nourishment a feed provides, albeit, for working dogs, kcal content is critical. I don't believe he's speaking about working dogs in that article, however, just John Q's housedogs that are overweight. It couldn't possibly be because the vast majority of their daily exercize is on/off the couch or a walk halfway down the block & back @@ The simple scientefic facts are that article was not backed up by any tangible cold, hard facts, nor was it even based on pure common sense. There simply is no self regulating mechanism. Dogs are scavengers, their natural instinct is to "pick" on dozens of small meals throughout the day - they are opportunists and will consume food at any given chance. They do not stop "picking" in the wild because their caloric needs for the day are met. I feed my dogs a calorie dense food (between 450 -517 kcals per cup) and they STILL find food at any given opportunity. They'd eat themselves into a coma if I let them, lol.

I agree he believes his food is quality, and I don't necessarily doubt that, but boy, is he ever digging his own grave publishing muck like that on his website.

• Gold Top Dog

I do think if dogs stopped eating when they had their required cals, there would be no fat dogs--dogs that work need more, dogs that are couch potatoes need less.  But those couch potaotes will eat as much a any working dog---as a rule.  My girls would weigh 300 pounds each if i aloowed them to eat all they wanted to.  They can have their supper of 1 1/2 cups of kibble & 1 1/4 cups crock pot chicken stew, and still beg for food, rush to see if something yu dropped is food or not.

When KayCee (golden retriever) ballooned up to 85 pounds due to bad knees, surgerys 14 months apart, recovery,  it took Science Diet r/d --last resort by my vet-- to get the weight off.  i got her down to 70 pounds and than managed to get another 3 poundss off her.  I have read several times that a dog losing weight on SD will not keep the weight off--kayCee has for over 5 years.  You j ust got to be careful of feeding them AFTER the weight is off.  We go for a weigh in about once a month.  if she has gained a pound, cut back on her food, if she has lost a pound, add to her food.  But she stays 67-68 pounds--was 67.7 Monday.  And i can tell you, her weight gain of several ounces or a pound  is usually after my hubby has been on the road 4 weeks, then home for a week.  Despite my growling at him, he thinks i am underfeeding them and he will sneak extra food to them.    I put their sups in tiny canned dog food meatballs, he uses meatballs the size of softballs!  I can't convince him that if i were 'starving them' KayCee would not be staying right at 67 pounds running and playing, etc and Honey would not be needing to be on weight control food!

HOWEvER my Hunter  would only et part of his meal and go play, come back and eat part, go play.  It didn't matter if it had "real food' in it or not. I even cut back on the amount I was feeding him.  You could drop a crust of bread, a hersey kiss, a potato chip, a piece of popcorn, etc on the floor and he would sniff and walk away.  The others were on it like a chicken on a June bug.  Yet Hunter (golden retriever)'s adult weight was 77-79 pounds his entire adult life.  He appeard lean and because he rana nd aplyed so much and so hard, we called him The Long Lean Playing Machine..  Was he just eating enough to get required calories?    i just know he was never in a hurry to eat no matter what was in his dish.  Took his own sweet time (I also eat that way).  I actually think it was a more a case of him eating til he felt full and that was all he wanted.  he was not a glutton.  I don't think it had anything to do with needed calories or nutrients , just his tummy was full and that was that.  As for the dropped morsels, i have no idea why he didn't eat them.  He wouldn't even eat most treats. As a matter of fact we joked about him being a health nut--no junk, no over eating, plenty of exercise, etc.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Hey Charlie - in case you've forgotten, I worked at a shelter that fed Abady - raw, granular, and kibble.  (My own puppy was started on Abady kibble.)  Among the 30 or so dogs that were fed any one of these foods, some would happily eat more and more and become fat if not managed.  So - on Abady's own food - these dogs did not self-regulate.  Thoughts?  Think it was just because the Abady batches were so inconsistent?  (Because that inconsistency in the raw particularly is the reason the shelter stopped feeding it.)

Edit to add: Gracie appears to be a self-regulator, also.  (If I tried to up her intake she'd leave exactly that extra amount in the bowl).  Not sure if that means she is picky or self-regulating, but I can accept the idea that some dogs won't gorge even when given the chance.  But Gracie has done this her entire life, regardless of what brand of kibble I've used... and she's been on quite a few.  So it seems like the claims that "all the other brands" just have it wrong and only Abady has it right is just an editorial idea with no real proof. (shrug)

• Gold Top Dog

**Comments Edited, rude behavior**

• Gold Top Dog

Willow is a self regulator so some dogs do not just eat and eat. 

I wonder if Zoe (I hope I spelled her name right) just gets so much exercise that she can eat whatever she wants and not gain?? 

• Gold Top Dog

jettababy

**Previously deleted content.**

**Referencing deleted content.**
    • Gold Top Dog

mudpuppy

sorry, but abady food doesn't meet my definition of a proper carnivore diet- it's dry and contains rice. And I can assure you that raw-fed dogs, who actually DO eat a proper diet, would happily eat until they waddled if their owners allowed it.

Couple of things here not pertaining to the above quote.  I would never attempt to free-feed an improperly-structured diet.  That to me sounds like a recipe for disaster.  Being that they are mostly all improperly structured (IMO) to me that would seem dangerous.  I can tell by the writing style and prose there are an awful lot of young people here (not uncommon for dog boards), teenagers and young adults who may not necessarily have the experience or wisdom as some of the older folks here.  It would be silly and possibly dangerous to your pet to experiment with free feeding, don't go there.  It is not a good idea.  I can do it because of what I feed but in general I would never attempt it with another product.  It takes time and development.  It does not happen overnight.  I followed the Abady literature to the letter in regards to my dogs growth.  I did not limit or restrict food intake and allowed my growing pup to consume as much food as she desired only because I was fully aware tissue mass had the capability to keep up with bone mass.  You CAN NOT do that with all feeds.  Bone growth can occur at a faster rate than tissue muscle mass and that can be very dangerous.  Again, for the younger audience, don't attempt something you do not know enough about because you read it somewhere on the interenet...and that philosophy should apply to all aspects, not just dog food.  I don't mean to sound like a father, but can't help it, I am a father.  And for those you accuse me of being Mr. Abady himself, he is old enough to be my father though I have never met the man.  I would consider it an honor to shake his hand some day and thank him wonderful products and health service he has provided for both dogs and cats.

Now, Mudpuddy: I am glad you said YOUR definition of a carnivore style feed.  That is certainly not my definition or anyone else who throughly understands what meets the criteria for "species-appropriate".  I quote those words because they are not mine, they are Mr. Abady's.  Forget about white rice; a carnivore style feed is 86%+ plus of the protein core animal source proteins in addition to low fiber and low carb.  Innocent numbers like 3% with an expansion type fiber (beet pulp, tomato pumice, cellulose flour, etc) is a whole new ball game hydrated (wet and in the stomach).  These types of feeds translate in 40-50-60% of the feed.  It is deception with numbers and I think you're sharp enough to figure that out.  One ingredient like white rice DOES NOT spoil the whole barrel in those regards.  White rice brings in afford ability to the consumer and makes the product easier for most to purchase, but does not deter from the fact high animal source protein combined with low carb and fiber targets the species more appropriately than most all other feeds available.  I challenge you to find me a commercial feed containing ONLY ONE ingredient considered not carnivore as opposed to the plethora of other ingredients found in the other feeds.  You can do it because I don't think there is any.  You may however easily find apples, potatoes, cranberries, seaweed (kelp), oatmeal, yucca, blueberries, etc., with at least containing a half dozen of questionable ingredients intended for carnivores.  Please get back to me if you find a commercial feed containing only one ingredient not considered carnivore.  I think raw feeders (who know what there doing) and whole prey feeders are clearly 100% consistent with the principles of feeding "species-appropriate" and I tip my hat to their work and dedication to feed their animal and think they are doing a great service for their pets.  And attempting to tie it all in, I am sure those dogs do not suffer with obesity.

• Gold Top Dog

You may however easily find apples, potatoes, cranberries, seaweed (kelp), oatmeal, yucca, blueberries, etc., with at least containing a half dozen of questionable ingredients intended for carnivores.  Please get back to me if you find a commercial feed containing only one ingredient not considered carnivore.

Right.  And white rice and non-proteinated minerals.

raw feeders (who know what there doing) and whole prey feeders are clearly 100% consistent with the principles of feeding "species-appropriate" and I tip my hat to their work and dedication to feed their animal and think they are doing a great service for their pets.  And attempting to tie it all in, I am sure those dogs do not suffer with obesity.

I am not so sure.  See my post above on how I accidentally overfed Ben over the holidays and he got fat, after eating every bite I gave him - and asking for more!   I have seen other raw fed dogs that are overweight, though it's certainly not as common as with kibble fed dogs.  I suspect it's more because an important component of raw feeding is being very sensitive to the condition of your dog.

• Gold Top Dog

brookcove

I am not so sure.  See my post above on how I accidentally overfed Ben over the holidays and he got fat, after eating every bite I gave him - and asking for more!   ...

Well, you know, the holidays can be tough!  Those extra holiday pounds are not uncommon.  Sounds like Ben had a very enjoyable Holiday Season.

CC.

• Gold Top Dog

I followed the Abady literature to the letter in regards to my dogs growth.  I did not limit or restrict food intake and allowed my growing pup to consume as much food as she desired only because I was fully aware tissue mass had the capability to keep up with bone mass.  You CAN NOT do that with all feeds.  Bone growth can occur at a faster rate than tissue muscle mass and that can be very dangerous. 

folks, do NOT feed Abady to puppies. Especially their so-called "giant puppy" food. The calcium content is too high to be safe. And please restrict your growing pup's food intake. Puppies need to be kept very lean for their health. Actually, adult dogs need to be kept lean too.  

• Gold Top Dog

mudpuppy

folks, do NOT feed Abady to puppies. Especially their so-called "giant puppy" food. The calcium content is too high to be safe. And please restrict your growing pup's food intake. ...  

Sounds criminal if you ask me.  Only starve your growing puppy when feeding an improperly structured diet.

CC.

• Gold Top Dog

CC, speaking as a forum member who cares about the tone of this forum in general,

It's really not accurate to isolate a quote and spin it in a direction it was not pointed. The word starve has a negative connotation and it's also totally inaccurate for the post you are referring to. No advice was given by MP that is not also given by most large breed breeders and vets as well.

I am unsure why you needed to choose such a sensational word...you could have made your point, that you do not agree with leanness in a puppy being valuable to their health, without stooping to tabloid tactics.

Mudpuppy...I agree with you...it's to a large breed pups benefit to be leaner rather than plump...and I realize that is actually the point of your post. Good point.

• Gold Top Dog

My raw fed dog is.... quite plump, IMO. Her ribs are fully covered, though she still has a waist and tuck up. She is too fat. I'm not terribly worried about it, because she loses weight *so* easily. This is the first time in her life she's been within a normal weight range. She will turn away food, right now, but we'll see about that after her hurt tooth is fixed, next week. She's always been a chow hound, regardless of diet, and will usually eat until she's sick. 

• Gold Top Dog

So as an owner I get off the hook if I feed Abady. If my dog gets FAT on Abady Pet Food I can blame them. Such pure nonsense . I would bet my life, your life , my dogs life , that by over-feeding Abady, or any diet raw , home cooked, commercial, and any others I have left out I can make a fat dog.

Owners, not dogs make their dogs fat. I've found the ability to have my dog lose weight, gain weight , maintain weight is all up to me. Either though education, common sense, and most importantly self control. It's all up to me the owner not Robert Abady or Eagle Pack, Natura, Annamaet, or any other company..   

This self-regulating "thing" that Abady dogs have is pure made up lies by Abady. Dogs don't choose to eat Abady, their owners bought it for them. If you then want to say Wolves, wild dogs, early dogs have this ability to stay in proper condition I will say it's all about the balance of nature. Fat dogs would not survive long in the wild. Some predator would see them as an easy target and take them out. Competition for food in the pack usually works to have the Alpha be the best fed. And those lower in rank are thinner due to that.

Do some companies share the blame ? Yes they do, but only I can prevent  "MY" dog from getting FAT !

• Gold Top Dog

I wish abady would use their amazing abilities to produce a line of people foods that kept people from getting fat. They'd make a fortune.

Off to pet my starving dogs...